Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*small edit* This might be a dead horse, but do you feel diet soda actually slows your weight loss?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have seen a few articles about this but most diets list diet soda (within reason). I drink two pops a day and I know this sounds crazy, but I'm not giving them up. LOL I cut out pop last year for 3 months and really felt deprived of any pleasure in food. I have a very addictive personality. I gave up recreational drugs as a teen, drinking at 22, smoking at 25. I just can't give up the pop without feeling like life sucks. With me, it has to be all or nothing. I can't *just* smoke one cigarette at a party or drink pop twice a week. I need the caffeine with the fizz! LOL

So my question is, do you think switching to Diet Coke would slow my progress or do you think drinking it doesn't really change weight loss?

ETA: I'm not really planning to give up the caffeine, yet. I don't drink coffee and I want the caffeine. ;) My question is more along the lines of IF you still drink soda or DID while dieting, did you drink regular or diet? Did you feel that drinking diet helped your weight loss.

Pop doesn't make me binge or crave at all. It's almost like my body needs some sort of stimulatant so I can focus. I don't bottom out from it, mid afternoon, either.

Now, if I eat any sort of sweet or salty snack, I will binge, mindless. So, I have removed all of that from my lifestyle as of right now. Once I feel that I can handle it, I may introduce them back.

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Replies (61-70):
Analeigh2012
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:14 PM
I have never had success with weight loss. When I started my current journey (where I am determined to achieve success) I started by only removing soda. But I was already off caffeine many years ago. So all my soda was diet caffeine free, and coffee was decaf. After 4 weeks of being off soda, I then dropped added sugar to foods, and changed up my carb ratios. What I found is that I lost weight steadily for the first time ever. Beginning immediately. It wasn't until the third month that I started an exercise program. So I know dropping soda completely worked for me. I also think it is personal. What works for one person may not work for another. Find what works for you and stick with it! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I'm anti-diet soda.

I've heard it can make you crave sweets more.

mem82
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Oh YAY! 8)

Quoting ZakTuffMavsMom:

This post is featured on the home page :)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nicki1995
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I lose weight while drinking regular sodas. I dont drink diet. It actually showed on the news a year or 2 ago that diet sodas cause you to gain a little rather than lose. It said that the people that drank regular sodas rather than diet lost more weight.

frankiesma530
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:55 PM

aspartame is bad for you.

mcarsel89
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:36 PM
That's a really good suggestion. I love Kombucha, the Synergy brand. Gives me energy and it's so yummy! That would help kick a pop habit.
Quoting HelloSweetie:

Kombucha helped me kick my soda habit. I was an addict

VarelaClan
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:41 PM
I personally wouldn't drink diet. I truely feel all those chemicals are worse for you than the regular ones. If you have to have soda and want to be healthier, I'd say look into buying a natural soda. Hansen's is pretty good. It may cost more, but in the long run it'll save you money in the health department.
barnkitty
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Your brain cannot tell the difference in regular soda and diet soda. Taste receptors just signal "sweet" and the brain triggers the sweet food reaction to the other organs.

So yes, even diet sodas can destroy a weight loss plan. Plus the chemicals in diet sodas aren't good for you.

If you really want caffeine, find a tea and make unsweetened iced or hot tea.

momofsixangels
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I quit drinking soda 5-6 years ago.I just stpped.I drink water and sometines get the flavoring to add.It has 0 sugar and tatses great

miabelladebra
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I switched from diet soda to only water and an occassioanl juice and green tea POM X here and there, about 2 years ago. I don't miss it AT ALL! and I feel much better!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)