Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

*small edit* This might be a dead horse, but do you feel diet soda actually slows your weight loss?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have seen a few articles about this but most diets list diet soda (within reason). I drink two pops a day and I know this sounds crazy, but I'm not giving them up. LOL I cut out pop last year for 3 months and really felt deprived of any pleasure in food. I have a very addictive personality. I gave up recreational drugs as a teen, drinking at 22, smoking at 25. I just can't give up the pop without feeling like life sucks. With me, it has to be all or nothing. I can't *just* smoke one cigarette at a party or drink pop twice a week. I need the caffeine with the fizz! LOL

So my question is, do you think switching to Diet Coke would slow my progress or do you think drinking it doesn't really change weight loss?

ETA: I'm not really planning to give up the caffeine, yet. I don't drink coffee and I want the caffeine. ;) My question is more along the lines of IF you still drink soda or DID while dieting, did you drink regular or diet? Did you feel that drinking diet helped your weight loss.

Pop doesn't make me binge or crave at all. It's almost like my body needs some sort of stimulatant so I can focus. I don't bottom out from it, mid afternoon, either.

Now, if I eat any sort of sweet or salty snack, I will binge, mindless. So, I have removed all of that from my lifestyle as of right now. Once I feel that I can handle it, I may introduce them back.

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Replies (71-80):
stenhouse_baby
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:01 PM

After I quit drinking soda I lost 10 lbs. Several months later I began drinking soda and gained weight. When I quit it again (and for the final time) I again lost approx 10 lbs. I switched to diet soda. After quitting that I lost 6lbs. I dont think it was fat, possibly just water weight from the sodium.

No I am drinking flavored water. Not the sugar flavors, just the arrow head lemon essance water. Nothing added but lemon. It has a light after taste of lemon. They also have lime, berry, and a few other flavors.  

JayeC2
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:09 PM

When I first switched to diet from regular, I lost 10 pounds within a few weeks.  Now, however, I do feel like I crave sweets more than I did before.  But, I'm diabetic, so if I want soda, it has to be diet....

Hubby bought me a soda stream, I like the sweetener they use in their diets better than most store soda...

Aishamusty
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:13 PM

BUMP!

pinkcsmtlgy
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I drink the regular stuff because the taste of the fake stuff makes me sick.

Ladybugmama86
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:21 PM

The diet is actually a poison and there have been people that have literally had to detox from diet sodas when all their hair fell out, started having seizures.... I personally along with my husband, parents and most of my siblings are severly allergic to diet sodas (its actually the fake sugar they put in it). I will have horrible migraines within minutes if I accidently ingest the fake sugar crap, including medicines that they are now puttin it in.

I try to limit my soda intake to once a day and have lost 15 pounds in the last month. Everything within moderation. If you totally cut out everything you enjoy you wont be able to lose weight because you will end up binge eating.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
jbyrd898
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I would stick with the regular soda. Fake sugars aren't good.

LindaClement
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:43 PM

It sounds like you're in need of the caffeine, not the bubbles or the sweetener. Pick tea?

I don't ever use artificial sweeteners --they all taste revolting to me.

mommy5409
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:44 PM

it is the carbonation in the pop that mm arising harder to loose the weight.  I was very addicted to cof a cola I would drink a 2 litter a day every day nothing else but that and my Dr told 'm e it was a proven fact if you stop drinking pop you will loose 17 pounds in a year.  I haven't drank pop in maybe 4 months and I have lost 10 pound.  I have been trying to loose weight for a year and couldn't.  I started looking when I gave up the pop

mrs.miller89
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I recently switched from regular soda to diet and I have loses a few pounds. If you're going to drink soda, diet will help you lose better than regular.

mrs.miller89
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I see a lot of people talking about all the bad stuff the fake sugar does, but I'm holding to what I said. I'm diabetic (so I shouldn't have been drinking the regular at all, I know) and other than the last year or two have been drinking diet for years. No soda is best but its a hard habit/addiction to break.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)