Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

*small edit* This might be a dead horse, but do you feel diet soda actually slows your weight loss?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have seen a few articles about this but most diets list diet soda (within reason). I drink two pops a day and I know this sounds crazy, but I'm not giving them up. LOL I cut out pop last year for 3 months and really felt deprived of any pleasure in food. I have a very addictive personality. I gave up recreational drugs as a teen, drinking at 22, smoking at 25. I just can't give up the pop without feeling like life sucks. With me, it has to be all or nothing. I can't *just* smoke one cigarette at a party or drink pop twice a week. I need the caffeine with the fizz! LOL

So my question is, do you think switching to Diet Coke would slow my progress or do you think drinking it doesn't really change weight loss?

ETA: I'm not really planning to give up the caffeine, yet. I don't drink coffee and I want the caffeine. ;) My question is more along the lines of IF you still drink soda or DID while dieting, did you drink regular or diet? Did you feel that drinking diet helped your weight loss.

Pop doesn't make me binge or crave at all. It's almost like my body needs some sort of stimulatant so I can focus. I don't bottom out from it, mid afternoon, either.

Now, if I eat any sort of sweet or salty snack, I will binge, mindless. So, I have removed all of that from my lifestyle as of right now. Once I feel that I can handle it, I may introduce them back.

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Replies (81-90):
Aamy
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this
If your trying to lose weight, cut out the soda completely.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
haydsmom2007
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Weight loss, no i don't think so. It has zero calories. It is really unhealthy, though. Obviously...

haydsmom2007
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Quoting LindaClement:

It sounds like you're in need of the caffeine, not the bubbles or the sweetener. Pick tea?

I don't ever use artificial sweeteners --they all taste revolting to me.

I agree... yuckk.

mem82
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:14 PM

LOL Tea is yucky. I like the burn and fizz of pop.

Quoting LindaClement:

It sounds like you're in need of the caffeine, not the bubbles or the sweetener. Pick tea?

I don't ever use artificial sweeteners --they all taste revolting to me.

NYChicago
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Everything in moderation. Drink more water than soda and you should be just fine.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
londamg
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:29 PM

i have heard diet soda is way worse for you. id stick with the regualr soda

3mom627
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:50 PM

I have read and read on and on about this. I really try to limit myself to one can a day at lunch. I don't think one can will do much harm.

3MOM627

have a nice day

truealaskanmom
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM

sounds like you need to detox your body so that you won't want soda it is garbage diet or not and it will negatively affect the way your body performs, I know people to only cut that out and lose a tong of weight and gain health

Mom_to_Lincoln
by New Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I'm the same way! My dh complains at the amount of soda I drink but I tell him that I only took up the soda habit when I quit smoking cigarettes 6 years ago. lol I was gaining a lot of weight from quiting smoking and drinking so much soda so I did switch to diet and also cut out a lot of sugar and carbs. I did lose some weight although I was not really overweight so it was not a big jump. It took about a week or two to get use to the taste of diet soda but now it is the only kind I  like. Diet Dr. pepper is my favorite or Diet cherry Pepsi. When my DH switched from regular soda to diet and cut out some other sugar and carbs he lost 30 lbs in just a few months with no exercise or major dieting.

cherokeegoddess
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:58 PM

i agree with u i can't give up caffeine either.. i drink it for everyone's benefit. it's safer for them if i have caffeine because i'm more tolerable. lol i'm a raging b**** when i dont have it. i gave it up for 3 days and i had the shakes big time. my fiance bet me i couldn't go 24 hrs without caffeine so i proved him wrong  lol needless to say everytime he came around me he made sure he had a diet dr. pepper poor guy lol

Quoting mem82:

LOL YES!

Quoting JavaLadybug2:

Hunny.. I too gave up recreational drug usage.. quit drinking and also quit smoking.. Coffee is my drug of choice now.. For you it is soda..

My doctor says give it up.. I told her.. GOD himself would have a hard time tearing it from my cold dead fingers.. So regardless.. I feel ya..

I am willing to give up the calories in other places!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN