Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*small edit* This might be a dead horse, but do you feel diet soda actually slows your weight loss?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have seen a few articles about this but most diets list diet soda (within reason). I drink two pops a day and I know this sounds crazy, but I'm not giving them up. LOL I cut out pop last year for 3 months and really felt deprived of any pleasure in food. I have a very addictive personality. I gave up recreational drugs as a teen, drinking at 22, smoking at 25. I just can't give up the pop without feeling like life sucks. With me, it has to be all or nothing. I can't *just* smoke one cigarette at a party or drink pop twice a week. I need the caffeine with the fizz! LOL

So my question is, do you think switching to Diet Coke would slow my progress or do you think drinking it doesn't really change weight loss?

ETA: I'm not really planning to give up the caffeine, yet. I don't drink coffee and I want the caffeine. ;) My question is more along the lines of IF you still drink soda or DID while dieting, did you drink regular or diet? Did you feel that drinking diet helped your weight loss.

Pop doesn't make me binge or crave at all. It's almost like my body needs some sort of stimulatant so I can focus. I don't bottom out from it, mid afternoon, either.

Now, if I eat any sort of sweet or salty snack, I will binge, mindless. So, I have removed all of that from my lifestyle as of right now. Once I feel that I can handle it, I may introduce them back.

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Replies (91-100):
Momof697
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I say if the worse thing you do is pop keep doing it.      I do know that for me diet pop adds on the weight because I crave more sweets.  If you do not crave then it does not matter. I personally would rather drink regular.

lucysmommy69
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:13 PM

130 oz of water!  wow. congrats to you, i can barely make it to 64oz. 

i drink diet, cause im used to it now, and that way there arent all the calories, and i need the caffeine to not get headaches (and yes i know if i weaned myself off it would work itself out, but meh)

xxshelbyxxx
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Wow you sound exactly like me to the tee. I'm a recovering drug addict, clean from all drugs for 2 years, was never a drinker but did it alot from like age 15-18 then decided I was over it because it was dumb. I think it's pathetic how many friends my age or acquaintances I should say, drink every single day like its no big thing. Alcohol is the worst drug for your body besides nicotine. But neways I'm the same as you in so many ways except for the cigarettes, I'm down to 1 real cig a day and I've been smoking e cigs and they really help. And you're way ahead of me when it comes to sugary foods because that right there is my addiction still. I eat cookies once a day and a ton of them in one sitting. Don't think I've missed a day for a few months and that's sick! I weigh more then I did at delivery, 128 now and 122 then. The soda thing ? I also feel the same way. I have to have to have to have to have a pop a day, at least one. There's a case of Mountain Dew in the house at all times because that's my fave, but I try to limit myself to one can a day because I usually have a coke if I go anywhere like to a store or out to eat. It's not so much the caffeine as the fizzy taste like you said. I went on a Sobe water phase for a few weeks and I love all those flavors but I still had to have pop every now n then. I also drink a bottle of water a day just because I know it's good for me and I'm supposed to and most normal people do. I have friends that only drink water. And I always question why the hell *i* can't do that, but I can't JUST drink water. Even though when I did drink that one bottle day, I think to myself wow that's refreshing... Lol .

But in answer to your question: diet soda is no good, diet or not. It's kind of like false advertising, there's quite a few recent studies on it that show it has reverse effects because of the artificial sweetener and aspertane. My moms friends drank diet pop for years and weren't losing weight when they were trying and then this study came out explaining why that was happening to people all over the place. Drink normal pop if you're gonna drink any. But cuttin pop out completely will make you lose weight. Those same people cut soda out completely and lost 29 pounds in like 6 months! No joke. And now they drink it sparingly. I'm with you though, I can't stop drinking pop.

Quoting mem82:

I have seen a few articles about this but most diets list diet soda (within reason). I drink two pops a day and I know this sounds crazy, but I'm not giving them up. LOL I cut out pop last year for 3 months and really felt deprived of any pleasure in food. I have a very addictive personality. I gave up recreational drugs as a teen, drinking at 22, smoking at 25. I just can't give up the pop without feeling like life sucks. With me, it has to be all or nothing. I can't *just* smoke one cigarette at a party or drink pop twice a week. I need the caffeine with the fizz! LOL

So my question is, do you think switching to Diet Coke would slow my progress or do you think drinking it doesn't really change weight loss?

ETA: I'm not really planning to give up the caffeine, yet. I don't drink coffee and I want the caffeine. ;) My question is more along the lines of IF you still drink soda or DID while dieting, did you drink regular or diet? Did you feel that drinking diet helped your weight loss.

Pop doesn't make me binge or crave at all. It's almost like my body needs some sort of stimulatant so I can focus. I don't bottom out from it, mid afternoon, either.

Now, if I eat any sort of sweet or salty snack, I will binge, mindless. So, I have removed all of that from my lifestyle as of right now. Once I feel that I can handle it, I may introduce them back.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaKarrot
by Karen on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Well, I know diet soda isn't healthy (and this can tend to be a dead horse, lol) but I drink them on occasion and I've lost 50lbs and kept it off, so it hasn't hindered me.

Raveyk
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I would just cut out soda entirely. That's how I lost a bunch of weight!

Mama_Dolly
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I rarely drink pop... but if I drink pop I drink regular... I use to drink diet when I lived at home like 4 years ago. and drank more diet. then regular (I felt I needed it) I use to think I had to have one or more everyday... but only drinking it like once-twice a week is all a feel like having now.

diet is so bad for you. the aspartame is so bad for your health... 

I just think if your going to drink pop. might as well have a regular... 

lancet98
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:21 PM

To the OP:

Yes, it has been shown in several studies that diet sodas interfere with weight loss. 

Evidently the sweetness of the sodas causes a person to want sweet things and to be more hungry in general.

In fact, diet sodas are associated with weight GAIN, not loss.

Sticking to 'the clear ones' doesn't make any difference, so that's not good advice.   It's the sweetness of all diet drinks that causes the problem.

calsmom62
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:35 PM
I drink fresca, so guess its a clear pop. I also drink black coffee. I have heard artificial sweetener are bad, but I have been drinking Fresca since it came on the market. Yes, I am old lol. I do know that one year we lived overseas and didn't have diet pop, And I don't like the heavy sweet taste of coke or even 7up, and I got super skinny, party, Im sure, from not drinking pop.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LuNaDoLL
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:24 PM

if you want caffine while dieting green tea was my choice

bellygirl
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:44 PM
I have a friend who is about 100lbs over weight. She gave up drinking diet soda and lost about 47 lbs. No exercise or huge diet change; just gave up soda. I do not think changing to diet is going to make a big difference for you. I've an idea. Stop buying cases of soda, so that you have to get out everytime you want soda. Eventually you'll start drinking less. For every soda that you don't buy, get yourself something, i.e. jewelry, shoes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)