Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Anyone else with this lifestyle?

Seriously changed my life for the better drastically. No longer depressed and anxious like I was (it was severe) I feel HAPPY for the first time in years and years. My blood pressure has regulated, my pulse is normal. I feel fantastic AND lost 50 lbs.

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Replies (41-50):
eema.gray
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:18 PM

The guy I found just happens to make beef bacon as one of his regular products but if you order a decent batch (5 - 10 lbs minimum) most butchers who have a cold room for curing meats will happily make a special order up for you.  :-)

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

I was totally thinking of beef bacon... actually I was going to ask you. My kids go to a private Jewish school and I realized I need to (happily) be more observant.

Quoting eema.gray:

I found a butcher that makes beef bacon.  It is amazing.  Crisps up just like I remember pork bacon and doesn't get tough like turkey bacon does.  :-P

Still not glatt kosher but I've never observed glatt kosher and ethical, humane treatment of the animals is more important that ritual slaughter so it's a happy thing for me.  :-)

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

Steak was always my fav, just didnt eat it :) I never would have dreamed of this working so well.

Do you buy beef in bulk? I go to this little farm near us that does whole, half and quarter cows.

Im not eating bacon anymore because im trying to be a better Jew. I've felt guilty.

Quoting HelloSweetie:

LOL How times change :P

I'm a steak-aholic now. And bacon.nonnomnomnom

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

That's funny I was vegan forever. Forever!

Quoting HelloSweetie:

I never did. In fact, I was a vegitarian most of my life. HOW- I can't fathom it now as my main food is meat :P

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
Hunnybadgerkins
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I just checked... our farm does it and since we buy cows by the half its cheap :)

Quoting eema.gray:

The guy I found just happens to make beef bacon as one of his regular products but if you order a decent batch (5 - 10 lbs minimum) most butchers who have a cold room for curing meats will happily make a special order up for you.  :-)

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

I was totally thinking of beef bacon... actually I was going to ask you. My kids go to a private Jewish school and I realized I need to (happily) be more observant.

Quoting eema.gray:

I found a butcher that makes beef bacon.  It is amazing.  Crisps up just like I remember pork bacon and doesn't get tough like turkey bacon does.  :-P

Still not glatt kosher but I've never observed glatt kosher and ethical, humane treatment of the animals is more important that ritual slaughter so it's a happy thing for me.  :-)

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

Steak was always my fav, just didnt eat it :) I never would have dreamed of this working so well.

Do you buy beef in bulk? I go to this little farm near us that does whole, half and quarter cows.

Im not eating bacon anymore because im trying to be a better Jew. I've felt guilty.

Quoting HelloSweetie:

LOL How times change :P

I'm a steak-aholic now. And bacon.nonnomnomnom

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

That's funny I was vegan forever. Forever!

Quoting HelloSweetie:

I never did. In fact, I was a vegitarian most of my life. HOW- I can't fathom it now as my main food is meat :P

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HelloSweetie
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:29 PM

THIS is exactly why I wanted to do it (aside from the buck the system, I provide my own) :P And I am very interested in bow hunting and my exact thoughts were "How Xena Warrior Princess bad*ss would that be, stalking through the woods with a bow to take down a glorious animal to feed the family".

As I am Pagan, I imagine it would quite intimate and primal and beautiful.

I need to friend you now if thats ok :P

Quoting eema.gray:

I went out on my first hunt last fall.  With a bow and arrow, how much more primal can you get?  LOL

Got a young-ish male pronghorn at around 35 yards; his death was quite an intimate experience, especially compared to hunting during gun season.  I think that if you hunt or raise animals for meat, that their death should be approached with sober thought and a great deal of respect for them and the earth that they grew from.

I will admit to feeling like a warrior princess for quite a few days afterwards though.  There's something very "connected" to the circles of life and death to go out and provide food for your family in such a direct way.

Quoting HelloSweetie:

My dad has tons of land, so I'm buying chicks next spring to raise and murder so I can eat them. I'd also like to learn how to hunt so I can provide more of my own meat.  I loathe the thought of killing an animal myself, but knowing where it came from, had a decent life, ate natural, no drugs pumped into it-levels out the guilt I think.

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

I didn't even think to go in on my cow with someone!! Great idea.
I get chickens and pastured eggs there too. Every week they have different veggies and fruit. Im thrilled I found out about this place.

Quoting HelloSweetie:

I don't know that I could give up the bacon. Maybe turkey bacon for you? Though I know is a ridiculously poor substitute :P

I have had a whole cow before (not at once :P) and it was the BEST MEAT I have ever had. I'd love to do it again. Finding someone to go in a cow with me would be ideal but no one in my friends/family really gives a crap about their food sources and think I'm looney for my lifestyle choice. *to which I laugh my *ss off as I drop pant sizes and get healthier by the day* :P

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

eema.gray
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

There's a lot less stalking through the woods and a lot more sitting in a cold tree stand just as the sun is coming up, LOL.  

Archery is pretty easy to learn.  I took a couple lessons at the local range with an instructor to make sure I had good form.  Then it was just a matter of going to the range every weekend to improve my strength and accuracy.  Archery takes A LOT more upper body strength and core stability than you might think.  Also, you should find an outdoor archery club that has trails and stuff so you can practice moving with your weapon on your back and shooting on terrian - even a "brick" target looks different if your standing in a depression looking up at it.

Quoting HelloSweetie:

THIS is exactly why I wanted to do it (aside from the buck the system, I provide my own) :P And I am very interested in bow hunting and my exact thoughts were "How Xena Warrior Princess bad*ss would that be, stalking through the woods with a bow to take down a glorious animal to feed the family".

Quoting eema.gray:

I went out on my first hunt last fall.  With a bow and arrow, how much more primal can you get?  LOL

Got a young-ish male pronghorn at around 35 yards; his death was quite an intimate experience, especially compared to hunting during gun season.  I think that if you hunt or raise animals for meat, that their death should be approached with sober thought and a great deal of respect for them and the earth that they grew from.

I will admit to feeling like a warrior princess for quite a few days afterwards though.  There's something very "connected" to the circles of life and death to go out and provide food for your family in such a direct way.

Quoting HelloSweetie:

My dad has tons of land, so I'm buying chicks next spring to raise and murder so I can eat them. I'd also like to learn how to hunt so I can provide more of my own meat.  I loathe the thought of killing an animal myself, but knowing where it came from, had a decent life, ate natural, no drugs pumped into it-levels out the guilt I think.

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
HelloSweetie
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Hmm I guess I should start looking around for Archery places. I have less interest in guns....

Quoting eema.gray:

There's a lot less stalking through the woods and a lot more sitting in a cold tree stand just as the sun is coming up, LOL.  

Archery is pretty easy to learn.  I took a couple lessons at the local range with an instructor to make sure I had good form.  Then it was just a matter of going to the range every weekend to improve my strength and accuracy.  Archery takes A LOT more upper body strength and core stability than you might think.  Also, you should find an outdoor archery club that has trails and stuff so you can practice moving with your weapon on your back and shooting on terrian - even a "brick" target looks different if your standing in a depression looking up at it.

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Quoting eema.gray:

Quoting HelloSweetie:

eema.gray
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Archery practice is cheap.  :-)  If you've got a backyard, buy a "brick" target for about $35 and you're all set.  Ranges are generally pretty inexpensive, the indoor one I go to is $7 for a day (I can come and go as many times as I want which is perfect with a nursing baby) and the outdoor one $10/day.  :-)

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Hmm I guess I should start looking around for Archery places. I have less interest in guns....

Quoting eema.gray:

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Quoting eema.gray:

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Im completely fascinated with the hunting conversation.
eema.gray
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Historically, Judaism has not been much about hunting, because it's pretty much contrary to the rules of ritual slaughter.  Judaism is very much an agricultural religion.  My diet, not so much.  :-)  Reconcilling the food that works best for me with religious belief is . . . . . challenging to say the least.

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

nlonnon
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:13 PM

This made my head hurt....but i have heard so many good things about it.  Just not something I could personally do.

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:16 PM
I hear that

Quoting eema.gray:

Historically, Judaism has not been much about hunting, because it's pretty much contrary to the rules of ritual slaughter.  Judaism is very much an agricultural religion.  My diet, not so much.  :-)  Reconcilling the food that works best for me with religious belief is . . . . . challenging to say the least.

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)