Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health
Okay ladies I need your help, I go back to school monday and I'm going to be swamped. Just to give you an idea of how much hw/studying I'm going to have, I have 5 classes and 12 books. I'm a single mother to a one year old, and I don't want to get so wrapped up in our busy schedule that meals are just thrown together and scarfed(sp) down. I still want to eat healthy, and enjoy our meals together, but it needs to be meals that are quick and easy to make. Thank you....

P.S. If anyone has a simple recipe for homemade speghetti sauce I'd greatly appreciate it...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Replies (11-15):
Lesgerm
by Leslie on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Claire that sandwich sounds delish!!

Quoting mcginnisc:

This was our dinner tonight- it took 45 minutes tops and that was cooking time. 

Chicken, apple, caramelized onion sandwiches and parsnip fries

Peel and slice parsnips, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper- bake at 375 for 40 minutes

Sandwiches- I used ciabatta bread,  mayo, sliced apple, sliced rotisserie chicken breast, swiss cheese- bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes.

We eat cleanly and most of our meals are fairly easy.. we had a vegetable stew the other day that was unbelievable!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nf1
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Thank you

Quoting BelindaDuvessa:

http://www.ringaroundtherosies.net/2012/02/freezer-cooking.html

They are decently cheap.  If you can get your hands on onem I recommend going to this site and putting together some of her crockpot meals.  They feed 4-6 so you'll have plenty of leftovers to take for lunch, as well as being able to eat the next day if your schedule doesn't let you cook that night.

Quoting lilpsmommie2011:

No, but my dad and sister both do that I can borrow anytime.

Quoting BelindaDuvessa:

Do you have a crock pot?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I get most of mine from sparkrecipes.com or cleaneatingmag.com.

A few tried and trues:

Sweet and sour chicken (don't overdo it on the cilantro)

Pizza dough (I use this, then top it with a little cheese, some pesto, and load it up with veggies!)

Tex Mex Calzones (my beef with this is the dough is a pain to work with, but use the above recipe, and put the filling into a pie plate, then top with the dough- much easier than trying to form calzones!)

Cheese enchiladas (even DH likes these; I often combine it with the below recipe)

Chicken enchiladas (love this one for leftover rotisserie chicken, but I can cube up and cook some chicken really quickly for this, too)

Beef stew (only had it once so far, but very good!)

Chicken pot pies (I make this as a casserole, and leave off the biscuits, because they're too raw.  Sometimes I'll make some on the side.)

Shepherd's pie (YUM!  I'm bad and I double the potatoes!)

Chili (I love crock pot meals!)

For spaghetti sauce, I make a huge batch every great once in awhile, then freeze it in dinner-sized packs (freezer quart bags are perfect for this).  Freeze them flat.  This makes for a super easy dinner anytime.  I even get DS to help tear the basil I put in it.  This is a weekend project, but it works really nicely.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

taniamorse85
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:58 AM

This is the spaghetti sauce recipe I use.  It does take some time, but it makes a fairly good amount.  I try to used freshly chopped tomatoes instead of canned, when possible, to cut back on sodium.  Also, do not forget the sugar.  One teaspoon may seem like it's such a small amount that it won't matter, but it really does.  Also, you can freeze it, so perhaps doubling the recipe and freezing it would help you to have plenty on hand.

I definitely recommend getting a crock pot if you can.  It is so much easier to do quick meals with one.  You may be able to find a good one at Goodwill/Salvation Army at a good price.

Sewsofun
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I just started freezer cooking but I have 2 adults and two young children to feed.  I use the crock pot a lot.  I chop a whole bag of carrots and a whole bag of celery up and a couple of onions i divide it among a couple of freezer gallon sized zipper bags and add stem meat that i have lightly covered in flour.  Day of I dump it in the slow cooker with salt pepper any seasoning I like, enough beef broth to cover veggies and peel and small chop a large baking potato (way faster to get large potatoes and peel with a knife than a vegetable peeler.)  I make meatloaf (leave the meat raw) and put it into disposable loaf pans and prepare mashed potatoes and put in 8x8 disposable pans, freeze, take them out the night before to thaw and then bake them off in the oven.  I also make spaghetti sauce in my slow cooker, and a really quick butternut squash pasta sauce.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)