Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Does detoxing help with weight loss?

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:30 PM
  • 8 Replies
Have any of you tried any detoxing remedies that worked for you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MissTacoBell
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 2:17 AM
1 mom liked this
What do you mean by detox? I consider myself detoxing from sugar and salt and large amounts of caffiene by strictly adhering to (well, fairly strictly adhering to) the limits. I felt much better after a week of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nlonnon
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:16 AM
Nope, eating a well balanced diet is enough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:20 AM
2 moms liked this
If you mean cutting out foods that are poor choices (like MissTacoBell suggested, that's a great way to go. If you mean fasting, buying some product or cleanse or doing some kind of detox with some concoction, I would avoid those. They may offer temporary results, but from talking to people here and in my professional life, any results you get are temporary, and it's really hard on your body.
The best way to really detox your body is to focus on fruits and veggies, whole grains, lean proteins, healthy fats, water and exercise, and stay away from preservatives, sugars, refined products/grains, and caloric beverages. If you give your body what it's supposed to get anyway, it'll cleanse itself out. It's a self-cleansing entity. Preservatives and other toxins are stored in fat cells, so by reducing your intake of them and exercising, you can really help shrink your fat cells.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fullofhope1
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:35 AM
Thanks for that. Do you know a list of foods somewhere I could look at?

Trisha

Quoting musicpisces:

If you mean cutting out foods that are poor choices (like MissTacoBell suggested, that's a great way to go. If you mean fasting, buying some product or cleanse or doing some kind of detox with some concoction, I would avoid those. They may offer temporary results, but from talking to people here and in my professional life, any results you get are temporary, and it's really hard on your body.

The best way to really detox your body is to focus on fruits and veggies, whole grains, lean proteins, healthy fats, water and exercise, and stay away from preservatives, sugars, refined products/grains, and caloric beverages. If you give your body what it's supposed to get anyway, it'll cleanse itself out. It's a self-cleansing entity. Preservatives and other toxins are stored in fat cells, so by reducing your intake of them and exercising, you can really help shrink your fat cells.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Try a googling "clean foods" or "list of clean foods". You can get some great ideas from there.
Examples that come to mind:
Frozen veggies
Fresh fruits and veggies (all considered clean)
Lean poultry
Grass fed beef, bison, buffalo
Pork loin
Lowfat dairy products
Whole grains, ancient grains
Herbs and spices (avoid mixes, which are often loaded with sodium), ideally fresh
Nuts
Nut butters- look for ones where nuts are the only ingredient (plus perhaps sea salt)- you should have to stir it and store it in the fridge
Beans- best dry and cooked yourself, but canned is okay, ideally in a BPA-free can (most cans are lined with BPA), and ideally unsalted. Always rinse regardless.
Legumes
Coconut oil
Olive oil

In an ideal world, your food would be organic and locally sourced- butcher, farmer's market, your own back yard! But this isn't always reality. Do the best you can. Start with foods you eat most of, because of the volume of pesticides and hormones you are exposed to. Slowly add in more and more foods. Also google the dirty dozen, with regards to produce. It'll tell you the 12 most important fruits and veggies to buy organic (bell peppers, strawberries, and others), and should also link you to what kinds of things are okay if you can't go 100% organic (who can, really??), like things with a peel you don't eat (oranges, bananas, etc- but if you're zesting a lemon, for example, better to go organic).

Quoting fullofhope1:

Trisha

Quoting musicpisces:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!  

itsm3
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this

not needed for weight loss.  as long as you eat healthy, cut out all the soda/junk/processed food and eat within your caloric intake for weight according to your age, height,weight and current exercise level, the weight WILL come off.

the human body is a natural detoxifier....all you need to do is feed it healthy, fresh food and exercise.

fullofhope1
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Thanks !!!!

Quoting musicpisces:

Try a googling "clean foods" or "list of clean foods". You can get some great ideas from there.

Examples that come to mind:

Frozen veggies

Fresh fruits and veggies (all considered clean)

Lean poultry

Grass fed beef, bison, buffalo

Pork loin

Lowfat dairy products

Whole grains, ancient grains

Herbs and spices (avoid mixes, which are often loaded with sodium), ideally fresh

Nuts

Nut butters- look for ones where nuts are the only ingredient (plus perhaps sea salt)- you should have to stir it and store it in the fridge

Beans- best dry and cooked yourself, but canned is okay, ideally in a BPA-free can (most cans are lined with BPA), and ideally unsalted. Always rinse regardless.

Legumes

Coconut oil

Olive oil

In an ideal world, your food would be organic and locally sourced- butcher, farmer's market, your own back yard! But this isn't always reality. Do the best you can. Start with foods you eat most of, because of the volume of pesticides and hormones you are exposed to. Slowly add in more and more foods. Also google the dirty dozen, with regards to produce. It'll tell you the 12 most important fruits and veggies to buy organic (bell peppers, strawberries, and others), and should also link you to what kinds of things are okay if you can't go 100% organic (who can, really??), like things with a peel you don't eat (oranges, bananas, etc- but if you're zesting a lemon, for example, better to go organic).

Quoting fullofhope1:

Trisha

Quoting musicpisces:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)