Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Weight loss and PCOS??

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:23 AM
  • 30 Replies

Do any of you ladies have PCOS? If so are you finding it harder to lose weight? Where do you carry your weight? How much do you weigh? Do you find you have to do things differently to lose weight other than the regular diet and exercise?

I currently weigh 173 (down from 180) and I am 5'2. I carry all of my weight in my midsection aka gut and breasts. I have no hips or butt lol I know with PCOS carbs are a big no no seeing as there is the fact of possible insulin resistance but I can't help but love the carbs! The pizza, pasta, burgers and fries! *sigh*

Anyways any tips or tricks that you have done to lose weight and keep it off?

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I don't have PCOS, but it's not impossible to lose weight with it.  It may come off slower.  You're right, avoiding those carbs makes a big difference.  I found that going cold turkey with the refined carbs and sugars was best.  Yes, I craved them like crazy for the first few days, but then it got easier and easier, to where I didn't crave them at all, and I didn't miss them.

Just consider whether those foods are more important to you than your goals.  Only you can decide what you eat!  =)

Good luck!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:05 PM

What did you replace them with or you just quit eating them all together?

Quoting musicpisces:

I don't have PCOS, but it's not impossible to lose weight with it.  It may come off slower.  You're right, avoiding those carbs makes a big difference.  I found that going cold turkey with the refined carbs and sugars was best.  Yes, I craved them like crazy for the first few days, but then it got easier and easier, to where I didn't crave them at all, and I didn't miss them.

Just consider whether those foods are more important to you than your goals.  Only you can decide what you eat!  =)

Good luck!

ballerina.2006
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Try a Paleo lifestyle. I think I have undiagnosed PCOS. Paleo eatting helped me really start losing weight this past summer. For whatever reason I couldn't get the weight off alone but between Paleo and CrossFit I was losing weight like I hadn't been able to for 5 years!

I'm 5'1" and carry most of my weight in my belly and boobs as well. I have zero butt. So we seem to have similar bodys.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emelymac
by Emely on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I have PCOS. I carry most of my weight in my mid-section too. It's not impossible to lose weight, but it doesn't happen as quickly has it does for other people. My doctor told me to just keep at it and it will come off...just slowly. 

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I eat clean, so whole grains, lean proteins, fruit, veggies, healthy fats, and water.

I still make pizza, but I use a whole wheat recipe for the dough, load it up with veggies, etc, and keep the cheese to a minimum.  I make turkey burgers, and mix in cauliflower puree (it makes them super moist!), and use only half a sprouted wheat bun.  Instead of fries, you could try roasting veggies or something like that.  We have taco night a lot (great for school days, where I'm gone 12+ hours a day), and I'll pile the toppings on a green salad instead of in tortillas, no sour cream, homemade guacamole, lots of tomatoes, cilantro, that kind of thing.

Quoting SexyDiva19:

What did you replace them with or you just quit eating them all together?

Quoting musicpisces:

Good luck!

Suzanne

SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Are you just starting out or have you been at it for a while? How much do you weigh and how tall are you? (If you don't mind me asking) Have you noticed any weight loss?

Quoting emelymac:

I have PCOS. I carry most of my weight in my mid-section too. It's not impossible to lose weight, but it doesn't happen as quickly has it does for other people. My doctor told me to just keep at it and it will come off...just slowly. 

SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I use myfitnesspal.com but I haven't used it in a while. Yea I'm tryin to cut out sodas. I drink at least 33 a day especially while I'm at work. Thanks for the tips!

Quoting Aurora-Dove:

I have PCOS, I use sparkpeople.com to track my calories. I 215 down from 243 in august. I carry most of my weight around my midsection, and thighs. The weight comes off fairly easily for me by eating healthy and exercising regularly. I portion everything I eat, got a food scale to portion by weight properly instead of just guessing. I eat around 1700 calories a day, and try to stay away from empty calories like sodas, sweets, and what not. If it isn't something I would eat enough of to curb my appetite if I'm hungry, I don't eat it except a treat every now and then. I snack on raw veggies and fruits if I'm  feeling munchie. If I'm going to have a treat like chips, cookies, etc. I portion it properly and don't take the whole bag or package with me. sparkpeople.com has a ton of recipes that are absolutely delicious and are healthy! Good luck, and congrats in 7lbs down so far!!

SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:00 PM

No I haven't. I have seen and heard of them but have never tried them. I'm going to work on stopping sodas and drinking flavored water (I hate plain water!) and stop eating so much sweets. I'm an emotional eater so I am going to have to find another outlet for my emotions.

Quoting Aurora-Dove:

No problem! If you drink a lot of soda, have you tried the soda stream? It's pricy but worth it! The sodas are good, and only 35 calories per serving and 8 grams of sugar a piece for the regular sodas and  of course none for the diet. They use natural sweetener instead of High Fructose Corn Syrup. If I'm going to have a soda, I use our soda stream instead of getting a coke or diet coke.

Quoting SexyDiva19:

I use myfitnesspal.com but I haven't used it in a while. Yea I'm tryin to cut out sodas. I drink at least 33 a day especially while I'm at work. Thanks for the tips!

Quoting Aurora-Dove:

I have PCOS, I use sparkpeople.com to track my calories. I 215 down from 243 in august. I carry most of my weight around my midsection, and thighs. The weight comes off fairly easily for me by eating healthy and exercising regularly. I portion everything I eat, got a food scale to portion by weight properly instead of just guessing. I eat around 1700 calories a day, and try to stay away from empty calories like sodas, sweets, and what not. If it isn't something I would eat enough of to curb my appetite if I'm hungry, I don't eat it except a treat every now and then. I snack on raw veggies and fruits if I'm  feeling munchie. If I'm going to have a treat like chips, cookies, etc. I portion it properly and don't take the whole bag or package with me. sparkpeople.com has a ton of recipes that are absolutely delicious and are healthy! Good luck, and congrats in 7lbs down so far!!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

DH has a SodaStream, too.  He's addicted to Diet Coke, and drinks it all day long.  There are also non-soda flavors, if you want to wean off the soda.

Quoting Aurora-Dove:

No problem! If you drink a lot of soda, have you tried the soda stream? It's pricy but worth it! The sodas are good, and only 35 calories per serving and 8 grams of sugar a piece for the regular sodas and  of course none for the diet. They use natural sweetener instead of High Fructose Corn Syrup. If I'm going to have a soda, I use our soda stream instead of getting a coke or diet coke.

Quoting SexyDiva19:

Quoting Aurora-Dove:

Suzanne

GingerGeek
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I have PCOS with insulin resistance, and the only diet that has ever worked for me is very low to no carbs.  I suck at it too.  Trying again to follow the diet starting now... I have no willpower.  I have GOT to get this weight off though!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN