Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Healthy snack idea for my kids?

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:31 PM
  • 17 Replies
I have three children ages 7, 5 and 2. We homeschool and are home most of the time. I don't allow too many snacks during the day, because we eat three good meals a day. I am trying to trim the budget and eat a little healthier. We normally buy a large box of fruit snacks for around $4 every two weeks. We also get a couple boxes of cracker that I would like to eliminate as well. That is another $6-8 every two weeks. I am wanting to find a healthier snack for around the same price. I was considering fruit. But it is more expensive and doesn't seem to last as long. They either eat it all within the first week(they like fruit) or it goes bad to quickly to last into the second week. Any suggestions?

*just to clarify...I do buy veggies and fruit along with these snacks..I'm just trying to find a healthier option to replace these other two items.
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EiuGirl316
by Leah on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I have a tendency to buy snacks and then portion them into snack baggies so DS can grab them when needed. I'll usually do- Goldfish, graham crackers, yogurt covered raisins, string cheese, trail mix, etc. It usually makes it last a lot longer for us.

How about trying snack bars or something of the sort too? 

Xfitmom
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:54 PM

My daughter loves the following.

Baked apples (no fat added) with cinnamon

Sliced jicama fries (not cooked)

cottage cheese and pineapple

lobomom24
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:09 PM
What about apples with a piece of cheese? Or yogurt?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kaffedrikke
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I like curried popcorn made with air popped pop corn. Roasted garbanzo beans. Gogurts frozen are good

LindaClement
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:00 AM

My kids (and their friends, and the kids I cared for when I ran a daycare) LOVED ice cube tray lunch/snack. For reasons I can't really explain, I have about 15 ice cube trays. They're cheap, though, at the dollar store...

I just put something different in each of the little squares: a blob of natural peanut butter to dip whatever in, a couple of small crackers, some raisins or a few slivers of dried apricot, a couple of grapes, some carrot or celery or sweet pepper sticks, some plain yogurt with a bit of jam or maple syrup poured over it, 1/4 of a muffin, or half a cookie, a cold chicken wing or a few slices of leftover roast beef or steak, some sunflower seeds or nuts, an olive or two, 1/4 of a hard cooked egg, some cottage cheese, a few pieces of cheese, a few small gerkins or sliced pickles, a bit of potato salad or leftover rice pilaf...

Way more fun than 'lunchables' and a million times healthier.

MissTacoBell
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:44 AM
Air popped popcorn. 1 bag maybe 2 dollars lasts a month if you eat it a lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Popcorn, peanut butter and celery/apples...those are some of my favorites!

mamacjohnson
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I know it sounds odd, but I got my children to eat bell peppers with me. They are actually sweet and juicy. When we go to the Zoo in the summer, we eat them because they also help cool us down. They tend to like the yellow ones the best! 

mamacjohnson
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Oh and a friend of mine did this really neat thing with the remaining portions of things. When the cereal got down to the last bit, she would put it in a container and do the same with the last portion of gold fish and other snacks. She made her own trail mix and her daughter loved it!

meggy88
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 10:47 AM
My girls love "ants on a log." Celery stick filled with some peanut butter (log) add raisins on top (ants). Cute name, healthy snack.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)