Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

I know we have a lot of new ladies in the group, so I thought I'd pose this query. 

Do YOU have an attainable goal for your body? 

By this, I mean...are you trying to lose too much weight, too fast? Have you analyzed how much weight is normal for your body type, how much you want to lose, the time frame you have set, etc? 

Keep in mind that the weight that is lost on The Biggest Loser is not normal. The contestants have all of their meals provided for them AND they are in the gym for 6 hours per day while on the ranch. That is not feasible for the majority of people. It is not realistic to expect to lose 20 lbs in a month. It IS realistic to expect a 5 lb loss in a month however. 

So, is your goal realistic? If not, how can you alter your plan? 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:33 AM
Replies (11-20):
itsm3
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:55 AM

while the show is good in promoting weight loss and a healthy lifestyle, people forget that they have everything (except the workout) done for them and the timelines are compressed which is not attainable for nearly everyone!

when i first started, i had 3 goals:  fit into my size 4 jeans, lose my muffin top and get my muscle definition back.  i never put a timeline on myself nor did i weigh myself.  the lack of a timeline took the pressure off me (racing against the clock tends to give you a panicky/overwhelming feeling and i dont like that!)  and i liberated myself from the scale because that thing is an inaccurate asshole!  it always tells you a number that you hate and it's inaccurate to begin with!! so i decided that measurements are the way to go and i didn't obsess over it -- i took them once a month knowing that seeing results once a month is more likely than seeing results once a week.

Peechi81
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:03 AM
I'd like to lose 40 pounds in 6 months or so. No hurry. Just good healthy life changes. Nothing dramatic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I am hoping to lose 10-15 pounds by April. If I reach that I will set a new goal. I just want to be healthier over all

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I'm so glad you posted this Claire:)  You are SO right!  What these people on the BL are doing is very unrealistic compared to those of us in real life.  Thanks for pointing this out!  I definitely have attainable goals...I'm not putting a time limit on anything...just to run 1000 miles this year!

Thanks... the show last night inspired this post. Also the fact that we get a massive influx of new members this time every year...some have attainable goals- others..not so much. I hoped that this got people thinking about their journey and whether they had set unreachable goals for themselves due to the inspiration TBL has for so many people. 

You can run that easily! You go girl!! That is only 83 miles per month...a little over 20 miles per week...easy peasey! 

Claire

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Gmgej:

My goal is long term, and slow, I have done this before, and it has no deadline. I know from experience unrealistic goals can derail you faster then an icecream cone. I was at my happiest at 160, and fit, so that is my goal, if it takes two or even three yeas so be it.

You have a great attitude!! Slow and steady is the best and most healthful way to lose weight. Unrealistic goals do set you back so fast, you are dead on with that one! 

Claire

nlonnon
by Tasha on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I was just talking to DH about this last night.  Since the beginning my goals have been so far fetched, it's no wonder I'm STILL trying to get to my goal.  I think I really need to take my own advice and slow my happy ass down and realize that when I was losing slow and steady I was the happiest and most encouraged.  It's when I tried to hurry up and rush the process that I have become super discouraged and gained weight instead of lost it.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Quoting Silvertears1275:

I think I have set realistic and attainable goals.  I have several fitness related goals - walking a half-marathon, for one.  As for weight loss, my goal is to lose 50 lbs this year, but I will not be upset if I don't reach it, as long as I've made progress.  The REAL goal is to make healthy, permanent changes and the weight will just naturally come off.... 

Love it!! Oh, and I'm a massive fan of fitness goals. :-) 

You can do a half marathon! They are my fave race! You will see a lot of people walk/run them. 

I love your attitude about making healthy permanent changes!! 

Claire

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Quoting Sweetlemonlove:

I want to lose 20 lbs and tone up over the next 6 months. If I don't make it oh well.I've made progress and changed some bad habits I will be happy. My biggest goal is to be more healthy! :)

Good attitude to have! Your ultimate goal is what everyone's should be- more healthy! I love seeing so many ladies saying being healthy is their ultimate goal! 

Claire

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Quoting MaskedMomma:

yes mine is. I expect to lose 100 pounds or more over the course of a year or so. That's only about 7 or 8 pounds a month. It'll prob take longer because I'll decide to lose more.

It's not appropriate for my height because at my height I should weigh as much as a 4th grader because they're aout the same height as me. I'm not going to be that small no matter how hard I try. 4th graders don't have big breasts or a bunch of kids.

But I will get to what I think is a reasonable weight as size for myself. It'll take awhile, a year or more, but I'll stick with it!

Stay positive and it can happen! Don't be discouraged if your loss slows the further you get into your journey. Just switch up your diet and exercise and that will kick it back into high gear. You can do it!!! 

Claire

Refurbished
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Some of the previous contestants have come out and said that a "week is not a week" on Biggest Loser.  They sometimes work them out for several weeks, then show it as a "week" interval to increase the dramatic effect of the weight loss. 

Jilian Michaels said the first time she left the show that she had issues with the overall healthfulness of some of the things presented on the show.  She never specified what it was exactly, but I am assuming that this may be one of her issues. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)