Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

I know we have a lot of new ladies in the group, so I thought I'd pose this query. 

Do YOU have an attainable goal for your body? 

By this, I mean...are you trying to lose too much weight, too fast? Have you analyzed how much weight is normal for your body type, how much you want to lose, the time frame you have set, etc? 

Keep in mind that the weight that is lost on The Biggest Loser is not normal. The contestants have all of their meals provided for them AND they are in the gym for 6 hours per day while on the ranch. That is not feasible for the majority of people. It is not realistic to expect to lose 20 lbs in a month. It IS realistic to expect a 5 lb loss in a month however. 

So, is your goal realistic? If not, how can you alter your plan? 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:33 AM
Replies (31-40):
mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Quoting Refurbished:

Some of the previous contestants have come out and said that a "week is not a week" on Biggest Loser.  They sometimes work them out for several weeks, then show it as a "week" interval to increase the dramatic effect of the weight loss. 

Jilian Michaels said the first time she left the show that she had issues with the overall healthfulness of some of the things presented on the show.  She never specified what it was exactly, but I am assuming that this may be one of her issues. 

Yep... I've heard prior contestants say that. I also say JM say these things as well. 

I do love the show, but I do wish it showed a more realistic view of weight loss so people would not think they can achieve weight loss so quickly. It is my main beef with the show. It truly sets people up for disappointment since they go into with unrealistic goals.

Claire

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Quoting Xfitmom:

I love this post. I thnk that it is best to lose steadily rather than quickly.

Losing slowly and healthfully is definitely the way to go. 

I was inspired by TBL starting last night and just knowing people would set goals after seeing it. :-) 

Claire

Refurbished
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting Refurbished:

Some of the previous contestants have come out and said that a "week is not a week" on Biggest Loser.  They sometimes work them out for several weeks, then show it as a "week" interval to increase the dramatic effect of the weight loss. 

Jilian Michaels said the first time she left the show that she had issues with the overall healthfulness of some of the things presented on the show.  She never specified what it was exactly, but I am assuming that this may be one of her issues. 

Yep... I've heard prior contestants say that. I also say JM say these things as well. 

I do love the show, but I do wish it showed a more realistic view of weight loss so people would not think they can achieve weight loss so quickly. It is my main beef with the show. It truly sets people up for disappointment since they go into with unrealistic goals.

I agree 100% with you, but it is a television show and their only goal is ratings and profit.  By showing people with dramatic weight loss on each show, it makes people watch.  That's why they do it that way.  I've stopped watching it, because I know that is their goal, not showing people how to lose weight.  Even their food tips are just advertisements and product placements. 

eema.gray
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

My goal isn't really "weight loss."  My goal is to change my body composition.  If I happen to lose another 15 lbs in the process (down to 160), that's all well and good but it's not my goal to lose weight.  I could lose those 15 pounds and be no more capable of spending a day hiking with a pack on my shoulders than I am now.  

So my goals are based on what I want to be able to DO by next Dec 31.  Some will be easy for me to reach, some not so much, but achieving the little ones along the way will make it easier to keep on pushing for the big ones.

100 push ups
600 sit ups
dead lift my body weight (currently 175) 
1 pull up
hike half a day carrying 35 lbs weight 

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
a06z08mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:54 AM
I know toning will take a while. I am trying to clean up my diet and make changes in my lifestyle. I am doing it for more health. Looks will be a perk.

Right now I am 5'4" & 140#. So the 10 loss will be good. But the diet change is what I need. Hopefully it will help some with my reproductive pain and problems.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting a06z08mama:

I really think my goals are realistic and attainable. Lose 10 lbs and tone up in 3 months.

You can definitely lose 10 lbs in 3 months...toning might take a little more time, unless you start lifting heavy weights, then it will happen faster. You can do it!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mefingas
by Morgan on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Mine are. To tighten and tone in 2013. Also to run a half, i ran one right before i got pregnant with Milton in 2011 so i know i can do it if i can find the time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I don't do weight goals.  I am focusing on process goals.  My goal I am worried about is my splits goal.  It is the only one that I am having a hard time with.  I am working on being able to run a 5K and getting my black belt in karate during the next 12-18 months.  I have a lot left to learn but I am very optimistic.  I am working on universal 1-5 by spring time.

mommadana
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I want to lose between 10-20 lbs in a month.  I'm guessing that 10-15 lbs will probably be more realistic, but I'm going to stick with my boot camp and my food diary to track evey little piece of gum and sugar packet.  I want to lose 4 dress sizes.  I can do that.....

Dana    
mommadana
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:58 AM

ONe of my favorite ones was Extreme makeover-Weightloss Edition and it shows the 30 day, 60 day, 90 day, and all the way up to 365 days what they go through and their pitfalls and their accomplishments.  To me that's MORE realistic than a controlled environment at a ranch or wherever.  All I can say is put one foot in front of the other, but never stop moving, not even for water.

Quoting Refurbished:

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting Refurbished:

I agree 100% with you, but it is a television show and their only goal is ratings and profit.  By showing people with dramatic weight loss on each show, it makes people watch.  That's why they do it that way.  I've stopped watching it, because I know that is their goal, not showing people how to lose weight.  Even their food tips are just advertisements and product placements. 

Dana    
Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Great post Claire!!!!  :D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)