Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

A little help with some exercises?

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:08 AM
  • 9 Replies

So, I just had two very sweet little girls, but I was hoping to have some help with exercises when I'm back to wanting to bring my stomach down flatter. I've never been really fond of it, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not looking to lose weight, because normally I come in at 120 lbs. If I lose a few in this, not a huge deal. 

So what kind of exercises would be suggested for toning my stomach?

I usually do 100 situps before bed every night (5 days minimum per week, normally. I sometimes miss a night or haven't felt well). I have bad knees, both of them, and my right leg can't bear a lot of weight, so anything that has me stepping up and down or trying to put too much weight on the right leg is not a good idea.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:11 AM

BUMP!

rune777
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:02 PM

try belly dancing its good for tonng with out lusing to much thers online how to vidos 

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:18 PM

You cannot crunch your way to a six-pack.  Cleaning up your food intake (not necessarily cutting the calories, if you're not looking to lose, but making better choices) is about 80% of the battle.  They say abs are made in the kitchen.

You can't only work the rectus abdonimis, which is all you hit when you do crunches.  You need to hit the deep muscles of the core, the transverse abdominis, obliques, etc.  Check out this link to sparkpeople.com.  There are a bunch of ideas here.  Planks are the ultimate go-to move for great abs, and it works more than just the abs.  You'd also benefit from strength training your whole body, and doing cardio that works for you- any cardio works as long as you get your heart rate up.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

MNitz
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:27 PM

In today's workout Challenge it said that planks are good for flattening the stomach.

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Quoting rune777:

try belly dancing its good for tonng with out lusing to much thers online how to vidos 

Just be careful with learning it online or from DvD's- make sure you have/keep the correct posture when belly dancing : )

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Yep, Suzanne has it right here.  Good luck!

LindaClement
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Pilates. 

If you don't pull your navel to your backbone before starting your situps, you're not doing anything to flatten your belly. 100 a night is probably too many, too often, too. Muscles take a day or two to 'heal' from an intense workout, and to rebuild stronger --ripping them down every night isn't going to strengthen anything.

Can you do the plank? That can help your whole core, and automatically pulls your belly upwards... You also might like yoga, because it's intense (or it can be) and is gentle on all your joints.

Des10ed2b
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:02 PM

have you tried doing v-sits or bicycle crunches? they are hard, but they really do help!

Uhura
by New Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:29 AM
1 mom liked this

actually, 100 is pretty easy, well, they were until getting pregnant again. :P 

I do yoga, to some degree, there are some poses I just can't do because of my bad legs. I would have to speak to my doctor about the bellydancing, as for everything else, I'll give it a shot.

I also eat pretty well already, rarely eat anything junky.

Thanks!

Quoting LindaClement:

Pilates. 

If you don't pull your navel to your backbone before starting your situps, you're not doing anything to flatten your belly. 100 a night is probably too many, too often, too. Muscles take a day or two to 'heal' from an intense workout, and to rebuild stronger --ripping them down every night isn't going to strengthen anything.

Can you do the plank? That can help your whole core, and automatically pulls your belly upwards... You also might like yoga, because it's intense (or it can be) and is gentle on all your joints.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN