Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

trying to loss wight with no support

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:44 AM
  • 22 Replies
For years now I have been trying to loss weight. I can't get it to come off. I have tried eating no meat and more salad fruit. Counting everything I eat and drank. Tried not pasta and all that other stuff cut out soda candy. But I'm having no luck. My husband doesn't go for walks with me or even listen when o tell him that Im not eating.or drinking things. He comes home from work and brings me things I'm trying to stay away from. How do I do this make my self feel better about the skin I liveing if he doesn't support me in my choice be feel better about my self.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ttc1rainbow
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:20 AM

This is a hard one. My dh didnt seem to support me when I first started my weight loss journey which made it VERY difficult to stick to it and keep pushing thru for ME. But that's exactly what I did and had to do. PUSH THRU FOR ME! I did a lot of research on diet, & chose no specific one! I joined myfitnesspal.com (Look into if you haven't, it's a great tool!!) and log EVERYTHING I eat and drink, and the excercise I do. I need that sort of visual tool for me to *see* how I'm doing...Well, once I started losing weight, even if only a pound in a week, my DH would join me in my success and make me feel really good! I asked him, " I thought you didn't care?" Basically what it boiled down to is, he's seen me try this several times before, only I never stuck to it long enough to see results. So, he said he was just letting me do my thing without the pressure of doing it for him.

In the past, I thought I was trying the journey for me but wasn't, it was for him and he was always telling me NO, don't do it for me! I married you as you are, you're beautiful! Therefore Id slowly stop again. So, him staying neutral with me this last time, was kind of a kick in my own butt to do it for ME, not him. Yet he was really supporting, quietly. Now he's more vocal & is sure to keep trigger foods away from me. TALK to your husband, tell him why you're doing this and you really need his support OR, just go at girl!! Show him you can do this with or without his support....He'll come around. :) My DH said it could be, for some men, fear that you'll get "hot" and not want your dh. lol GL hun!!

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:26 AM
5 moms liked this
You have to say no to the crap he brings home. The whole world is going to be tempting and you have to get used to it. I had to ignore my ex and everyone else in my life when I lost my weight 4 years ago. Ideally people would support us but unfortunately they almost always disappoint.
This group is fantastic support however. Turn to us. Sorry this sounded so glum.
rockinmomto2
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:36 AM

I have a hard time losing weight as well. It comes on SUPER quickly but comes off so slowly. I've noticed that a combination of eating high protien/low carb (I stay away from bread, pasta, chips...that kind of thing) and almost no dairy has helped a lot. I still get my calcium from drinking almond milk and being outside in the sun. I also make sure to do workouts at LEAST 3 days a week. If you have a smart phone, you can download the Nike Training Class app for free, and it has guided 15, 30, and 45 minute workouts including stretching. They have three sections, one for beginners, one for intermediate, and one for advanced. It's helped me a LOT. 

As for not having your husbands support, sometimes that just happens. I wouldn't say that my husband is supportive, but he's not unsupportive. He's just not really interested in the process, you know? He brings home junk food and it's hard to resist, but if I want to lose weight, I can't eat that crap. To me, it's more about self discipline than having support.

beliteWeight
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Just keep yourself motivated in what you are doing. Keep up the work out and it would be better if you jogg in the morning for atleat 4 kms. Do increase your fluid intake and also add some Green tea in your diet as it helps in weight loss. Look for some consultation with endocrinologists for augmented help. Anyways keep up the good work and be consistent in that.

qslaqhay
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:42 AM
The first thing you have to remember is that YOU are doing this because it is what YOU want. And for that you should embrace it.

I use My fitness pal to track what im eating and with that tool i think twice before snacking something i shouldnt. I also used the app C25K that can help you running. not gonna lie to you, when i first download this app,it took me a month on doing the first 2 weeks until i start feeling better about running more than 1 and a half mnt.

Take your time, eat healthy and dont expect te weight to cOme off within a day or 2 of your journey. Set small goals. Like from today 'til the end of the month i want to loose 5 pds. And work on that. Once u reach this goal u set a new one.

Anyways Good luck in your journey. You can do it.
momofsixangels
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Just keep a positive attitude.We will all support you here! You have friends here that will encourage you!

QueenieAbby
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I'm so sorry, Sweets.  It is difficult when you don't have the support you need at home.  You are the lady of the house though, so you need to put your foot down.  wink  First, make up your mind about what you want.  Whether your husband brings home naughty food or not, you have a choice to eat it or not.  I know it's difficult, especially when it's so convenient.  We women are the busiest people on earth, and any bit of help (especially when it comes to cooking) is a blessing.  Have you talked with him about your wants and needs?  Maybe he'll realize that he's sabotaging your dreams.  Then when he does bring home dinner, he can bring something much healthier.  wink

Second, don't ever give up protein. It's very important for maintaining muscle and busting body fat.  Veggies are great too, but you need a combination of them. Even a little essential fats are needed.  It's all about balance.  When you're eating only salads and veggies, you're not taking in enough calories (energy), and your body will think it's in starvation mode and begin holding onto every ounce of body fat thinking it needs to protect you.  You will lose muscle if you're only eating salads and veggies, and that muscle is extremely important for helping you do the things you need to do in life as well as ward off body fat.  Also, you need the nutrients for health reasons.

Try eating small meals and only until you are 80% full every few hours (3-4 hours) throughout the day.  Here's a guideline to help with meal planning:

Breakfast:  protein, veggie or fruit, and essential fat

Lunch: protein, veggie, and essential fat

Mid-Afternoon Snack: protein, veggie and essential fat

Dinner: protein, veggie, and essential fat

Bed-time Snack (at least 30-60 minutes before hitting the sheets): protein, berries, and essential fat

If you exercise, then plan the following meal in with the above or replace one of the snacks:

Post-workout Snack (twice per week):  protein, starchy carb

If you're not familiar with what's in each macronutrient category, let me know.  I'll give you a guideline. wink  By sticking to the above basic meal planning guide, there is no need for counting calories as it does away with processed foods.  Also, it helps to stop eating when only 80% satiated.

If you haven't made changes in the next 6 weeks, then it could possibly be that you have a medical condition that is making you hold onto weight.  This is highly unlikely, but hypothyroidism is a condition that is definitely not helpful in losing.

Good luck, Momma!

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:00 AM

My husband isn't big on watching what he eats- and I mad the desicion that *I* want this. It doesn't matter who is with me and who isn't.  

Ultimately, you have to get to a place where you refuse to let anyone get in your way and not care if they are supportive of your efforts or not.  

*also, not eating meat or whatever else isn't really the way to go. You need all kinds of foods.  I eat what I want- but count my calories and try to get some healthy things in every day.   

Dekotasmama
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:38 AM
The green tea. I get it from star bucks but its cold will that still work or should it be hot

Quoting beliteWeight:

Just keep yourself motivated in what you are doing. Keep up the work out and it would be better if you jogg in the morning for atleat 4 kms. Do increase your fluid intake and also add some Green tea in your diet as it helps in weight loss. Look for some consultation with endocrinologists for augmented help. Anyways keep up the good work and be consistent in that.

Dekotasmama
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Thank you. I will have to remind him to bring healthier food when he brings dinner home. I am not familiar with what's in each micronutrient category.

Quoting rockinmomto2:

I have a hard time losing weight as well. It comes on SUPER quickly but comes off so slowly. I've noticed that a combination of eating high protien/low carb (I stay away from bread, pasta, chips...that kind of thing) and almost no dairy has helped a lot. I still get my calcium from drinking almond milk and being outside in the sun. I also make sure to do workouts at LEAST 3 days a week. If you have a smart phone, you can download the Nike Training Class app for free, and it has guided 15, 30, and 45 minute workouts including stretching. They have three sections, one for beginners, one for intermediate, and one for advanced. It's helped me a LOT. 

As for not having your husbands support, sometimes that just happens. I wouldn't say that my husband is supportive, but he's not unsupportive. He's just not really interested in the process, you know? He brings home junk food and it's hard to resist, but if I want to lose weight, I can't eat that crap. To me, it's more about self discipline than having support.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN