Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Acne?

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:00 PM
  • 12 Replies

I thought I saw another post on this but I can't seem to find it, so I'm making a new one...

For awhile before I started trying to lose weight, my skin had been pretty clear with just a couple zits every once in awhile.. (I have had breakouts since the teens and it had JUST started to be clear within the last few months) Well now, I am finding that I am breaking out again... I have been drinking a ton of water and only water and eating much better than before...I tried to look up a relation between losing weight and the acne and found some stuff about estrogen being produced in the fat cells etc... but I'm still a little lost in it all... has this happened to anyone else during their journey.. does anyone know if there even is a connection.. any bit of help would be great!

(I get the normal couple zits around 2 or 3 days before my period but that had been it for a few months and I am not close to my period so I am skeptical that it is hormonal)

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
armyvet06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:02 PM
I just started losing weight and my breakouts have got worse then they have ever been.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nlonnon
by Tasha on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Do you exercise? Could it be from sweat?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AjCeCeMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:06 PM
It might be the water, it will help clear your skin but first your body needs to adjust. I'd also make sure you have plenty of healthy fats in your diet. They are great for your skin, hair, nails, everything!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissTacoBell
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:55 PM
If increased acne is from losing weight, I must be doing SUPER! Lol. Yes I have breakouts too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crwspringer
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Make sure you are exfoliating really well to release the dirt and sweat. Also, bathe and wash with warm not hit water. Hot water only irritates the skin more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:22 AM

That's where mine come from.

Quoting nlonnon:

itsm3
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:54 AM

when you sweat, you produce more bacteria on the skin.  also, when you use a towel and wipe the sweat away, that is also a breeding ground for bacteria.  it's the bacteria that gets into the pores that produce acne....

drink more water, wash your face IMMEDIATELY after you workout and always use a clean towel at every workout.  hopefully you'll see an improvement.

tiffany011309
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:17 AM
I am currently only doing yoga and I don't sweat much during it and then I shower/wash my face right after that.. it seems to be starting to clear up so maybe it is just my body getting used to all the changes
N_maricle
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Your body could just be detoxing through the skin. If you recently started drinking tons of water and eating a diet high in fruits and veggies, and low in meat and dairy, it's likely just detox from my experience. Processed foods and the like are very difficult for the body to process and contain toxins from preservatives, artificial flavorings, etc. These toxins get stored in the fat cells. So with your healthy diet, your body is trying to flush that yucky stuff out.
By the way, the only thing that clears my acne without drying out my skin is aloe Vera gel. It's incredibly healing for existing acne, and has antibacterial properties that keep the skin clear. It's really cheap compared to many OTC acne treatments, and honestly works better:)

Quoting tiffany011309:

I am currently only doing yoga and I don't sweat much during it and then I shower/wash my face right after that.. it seems to be starting to clear up so maybe it is just my body getting used to all the changes

aprilsalcro
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Quoting darbyakeep45:

That's where mine come from.

Quoting nlonnon:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)