Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oma Kathie's New Year - lower my BMI

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:15 PM
  • 10 Replies

1/13/13

Hi all butterfly

I am 58 and a retired teacher.  I am working pretty much full time as a one-one tutor.  I am about 50 pounds over weight.  I've been looking for a place to keep my goals, record my successes, record my challenges and share with others.

I am participating in WeightMate.  On their website I daily record my weight, exercise, and food intake.  I plan to keep my journal here.

Since Christmas I have lost 5 pounds.  I have 45 more to lose. I plan to lose 20 more pounds by the end of May when my husband is taking me on an Alaska cruise.

I have high cholesterol, high troglycerides, mild diabetes, blood pressure (controlled by meds), and SAD (seasonal depression).  I am hoping to control all of these by reducing my weight and exercising regularly.

I'm hoping to improve my mood by

• getting outside in the natural light.
  • helping my son with Aspergers to get a job --> transition to his own place
  • improve my relationship with my daughter-in-law so that I get more "Oma" time with our granchildren
  • understand my desire to drink alcohol
  • understand my triggers to overeat unhealthy foods
  • reward myself with nonfood /drink when I reach my goals
  • keep myself on my own To Do and To Be lists

BE HAPPY butterfly on headKathie (jakes23mom)  happily married to Boyd

We have 5 kids, 3 kids-in-law, 1 grandson and one grandbaby due in May, all live nearby, our Aspie son still lives with us...hoping to transition him to his own place before our cruise.

So I have just replied to all of the 11 challenges on the Healthy Challenge page and have added planks and rowing to my exercise plan.  I also want to get a twist disc to work on my waist line.

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jakes23mom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Monday- here I am.writing in my journal for the 2nd day.  I have completed my entries on my othe website.  I've taken my Xmas tree down.  I'm snuggling with my grandson watching TV.  It'll be a good day :)

jakes23mom
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I will be getting my labs tomorrow.  I get my check from the clinic today.  My blood sugars have been 98 for 2 days.  I think I have to avoid bread :(

I really don't care whether others participate in this journal - it is for me.

Boyd and I have several mini-vacations planned this year so I have non-food rewards scheduled.  The first is the train trip toCal thru the snow.  I plan to wear my mink and pretend to be rich :).  That one is in less than 3 weeks.wearing crown

jakes23mom
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Today I have lost 10 pounds and 5% of my body mass!  I shared my15 pound step plan with Boyd.  he acknowledged that that was a lot of weight (53 pounds) but I think that by having a plan but really wanting to get it off and keep it off by my birthday next year is a realistic goal.

So there we are.  I've made a start,  This is for me to be healthy.  Also my reward is I get to buy new clothes.  They won't just be hand me downs from dead relatives!

1/16/13angel mini

jakes23mom
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I really like the WeightMate support system.  They are very supportive of everything I post... responding in a timely fashion commenting specifically on why what I'm doing is a good plan.

It is foggy today and there was hoarfrost/pogonip on the tree when we got up.  Boyd read about a liquid protein diet and started to laugh I had to tell him that it wasn't what he was thinking :)

We got the email for the cruise and it looks like 30-40 Scheels ppl won the same cruise as us.  We have to meet as a group for breakfast the 1st day at sea.  It will be interesting to see if we know any of the others.

1/17/13 fingers crossed

jakes23mom
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:47 PM

I find it extremely hard when either Boyd or I are sick to exercise.  I am also finding it hard to stay off of "bad food" when I don't have a work schedule for 3 days.

But then by luck the 49ers won today.  In 2 weeks we have our first mini travel vacation...so I am trying to stay motivated.have a good night

jakes23mom
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM

1/22 I am headachey and bummed today.  I want to be upbeat - but Bz issick and just went to the doctor.  I've gained weight...Zack was a brat yesterday, Megan has cut down our time with him again, Sadie still isn't pregnant and I'm just not feeling appreciated.

So, I responded to 2 challenges and worked on my weightmate this morning.  I will eat breakfast and go to work.  Starting today, I will exercise during my lunch break and take a snack to eat between Tyler & Khang.  I will NOT eat a big dinner after 7 pm.

jakes23mom
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:50 PM

1/23 today is better - I moved my bike to Aidan's house and we rode (him on his scooter) me on the bike for 30 minutes.  I was tired but drank a water.  I didn't eat pizza (that was hard) and when I came home I ate yogurt and drank another water.  Yesterday I packed a "dinner" and didn't eat a big dinner (just some cottage cheese).  So I was down a pound today.  I've packed a "snack" for the Tyler/Khang transistion. 

Boyd completed the "Family" pix of Jake and Zack on the rocking horse dad made.  ttc  It makes me happy.

jakes23mom
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:22 AM

So here we are on Friday, 10 pounds down and 5 to go before our mini vacation by train.

7 days from tomorrow.

jakes23mom
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:26 AM

1/26 Only 5 days to go this month, have kept my vows on ice cream and wine :)

Am leveled at -10 want to lose 5 more before the train vacation next weekend.  Called & shared with mom yesterday.  See the doctor on Tuesday. 

Got a new client start Sun.  Will post on Facebook today.

jakes23mom
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I did it :)

I lost 13 pounds before our train trip - we had a great time both ways and in Sacramento too the hotel and restaurant we fabulous

So now we start again today - Zack is in the chair with me and Fred is on my lap and Duke is on Zack's lap

next stop lose the 5 pounds I gained over the weekend

then move on to lose 20 pounds before we go to FrontSight at the beginning of April 160 pounds by April Fools Day

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)