Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

C25K on a Treadmill

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:03 AM
  • 17 Replies
Tomorrow is day one, and I'm excited yet nervous at the same time.

Any tips/advice/suggestions on what to do or what not to do?

How fast (or slow in my case) should I set the speeds for walking and running?

Has anyone completed all the weeks? If so, are you able to run the whole time now?

I'm not a runner at all, but I'd really like to run in the Susan G. Komen breast cancer race, in honor of my grandma, in October.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm a long distance runner, but I prefer to run outside.  I know plenty of ladies in the group who have done the C25K, but not sure if they've done it outside or on a treadmill.  Good luck!

wahmx3
by Shelley on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I have tried it outside and never completed it. I am trying it again on the treadmill, just started last week but I am struggling to find time to be on the treadmill so not really doing it. I don't think the speed is as important as timing your intervals and conditioning your body. I normally walk at 3.5 and jog/run at either 5.5 or close to 6 but I think for this I would walk at 3 or just higher and run at 5.5 or slightly higher at least for the first week or two. Time how long it takes you to finish 5k and adjust your speed as you go through the weeks. I think it is a great program but I know I can't do it in 9 weeks, it will take me longer and I am okay with that.

itsm3
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

you can google it and there are lots of forums with tips.  basically, you want to set the pace of running so that you can still talk while running and then slow it down to a brisk walk... it all depends on your current fitness level.

i did the c25K in the fall and i loved it!! it made me fall in love with running... i just wished i did it earlier so i had more time to run (winter now and i don't like running outside when it's cold).

nlonnon
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I've done it several times on a treadmill.  I'm a SLOW runner.  After 3 years, I seriously cannot run fast at all.  I do my run intervals at 4.5 and walk at 3.  I read someplace that if you run at 5 on a treadmill that's about a 15 minute mile.  I will say, that when I do run outside (on actual race days) I typically average about a 13 minute mile.  

Janaz5
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:26 PM
I'm sure I'll be a slow runner as well. I currently walk on the treadmill at about 3.5 and that's very brisk for me.

Quoting nlonnon:

I've done it several times on a treadmill.  I'm a SLOW runner.  After 3 years, I seriously cannot run fast at all.  I do my run intervals at 4.5 and walk at 3.  I read someplace that if you run at 5 on a treadmill that's about a 15 minute mile.  I will say, that when I do run outside (on actual race days) I typically average about a 13 minute mile.  

Janaz5
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:29 PM
What about stretching? Do I do it before or after running or both? I've read conflicting information about stretching before running.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I'm a long distance runner, but I prefer to run outside.  I know plenty of ladies in the group who have done the C25K, but not sure if they've done it outside or on a treadmill.  Good luck!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Dynamic stretching before, static stretching after.  Static stretching of cold muscles can lead to spasms or cramps.

Quoting Janaz5:

What about stretching? Do I do it before or after running or both? I've read conflicting information about stretching before running.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Janaz5
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Off to google, thanks.

Quoting musicpisces:

Dynamic stretching before, static stretching after.  Static stretching of cold muscles can lead to spasms or cramps.

Quoting Janaz5:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

You're not that slow:)  5.0 on a treadmill is 5 miles/hour which is a 12:00 min/mile pace.  

Quoting nlonnon:

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd keep it at a pace where you can talk for now.  Speed isn't what matters right now, it's just building the endurance and getting your body accustomed to the impact of running.

When you can, try to get outside, especially before the race event.  Running outside is very different than treadmill running, and you need to get your body used to it.

A couple of tips that might help- make sure you're landing on your midfoot, not your heel.  Keep your strides short and quick, or you risk overstriding.  Get fitted for good shoes at a reputable running store.

Good luck!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)