Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

please can you help me?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:17 PM
  • 8 Replies
I need healthy meal ideas please. For weeknights. Quick would be good. Crock pot meals. Anything?! I don't have a lot of healthy meal ideas. Thank you! Or even websites where I can find healthy meals.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MissTacoBell
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:38 PM
Skinnytaste.com is awesome!

Most of my healthy meals I just adjusted my old ones. Spaghetti with meat sauce? Premake pasta sauce from scratch and have it on hand, switch to wheat spaghetti, lean turkey instead of beef.

One I really like that's a veggie side is: (red, yellow and green) bell peppers sliced into strips, a yellow and zucchini squash sliced and a few stalks of asparagus chopped up, toss with a tbsp or two of olive oil, put on a baking sheet at 400 for 30-40 minutes till tender. Mmmmmm. No need for salt or anything else.

Potatoes: ditch the instant crud and throw 2-3 in the microwave for 20 minutes. Mash them up skins and all with a 1/4 cup milk and some unsalted butter. Way better for you.

Chicken: foil wrap it and throw it in the oven! About 1/2 way through cooking, tip out the grease and then finish cooking it. Reduces the fat content.

Experiment with veggies! Buy frozen of any kind and try them out baked in the oven. Squash is a sweet veggie. Sweet potatoes are good cut up into small chunks and baked in a casserole dish half immersed with water and some maple syrup. Great desert.

Strawberries and chocolate sauce. Yes, chocolate, but its 1/10th the desert. The rest is a fruit!

Angel food cake with strawberries and chocolate.

I guess I could go on lol. But in my experience, if you just change up the WHOLE menu it might not be lasting. Better to be gradual and introduce new dishes gradually and see if it works. We made spaghetti squash boats and decided it wasn't going to do for us so now we are moving into a new dish. Kwim?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QueenieAbby
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Oh, this is very easy for me as I'm the queen for quick and easy.  LOL.  Here are a few ideas.

(1) crockpot turkey breast... get the kind with bone already as it will be juicier... remove giblets... wash... and put in the crockpot... cover the entire turkey with water and add some sea salt, pepper, and whatever spices you like (I just add poultry seasoning). Let it cook all day... remove and let sit for about 10 minutes... it will pull apart so easily.  Cook some frozen broccoli (I like the Bird's Eye family packs)... put in microwavable dish... add a few tablespoons of water... nuke for 7 minutes... drain water... add some butter, EVOO, or coconut oil.  Now you have a well-balanced and healthy meal.

(2) Season some flank steaks and throw on the grill for 5 minutes on each side (or however well done you like them).  While meat is on the grill, microwave some fresh asparagus with a few tablespoons of water for 7 minutes... add coconut oil and some sea salt.  Yum!

(3) In the morning, marinade salmon flanks with a mix of 1/4 cup Tamari sauce, 1 garlic clove, and pinch of sea salt and black pepper. When you get home from work, bake on 400 degrees Fahrenheight for approximately 20 minutes.  Add a nice side salad with Romaine, tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions.

K_D88
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Thank you. I really appreciate this! I am changing the way I eat which so far has been easy. I realized I had an un healthy relationship with food. So I am changing it. It is difficult for me to come up with healthy meals everyday without eating the same thing everyday lol. I did a Google search and didn't have much success finding websites

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Skinnytaste.com is awesome!

Most of my healthy meals I just adjusted my old ones. Spaghetti with meat sauce? Premake pasta sauce from scratch and have it on hand, switch to wheat spaghetti, lean turkey instead of beef.

One I really like that's a veggie side is: (red, yellow and green) bell peppers sliced into strips, a yellow and zucchini squash sliced and a few stalks of asparagus chopped up, toss with a tbsp or two of olive oil, put on a baking sheet at 400 for 30-40 minutes till tender. Mmmmmm. No need for salt or anything else.

Potatoes: ditch the instant crud and throw 2-3 in the microwave for 20 minutes. Mash them up skins and all with a 1/4 cup milk and some unsalted butter. Way better for you.

Chicken: foil wrap it and throw it in the oven! About 1/2 way through cooking, tip out the grease and then finish cooking it. Reduces the fat content.

Experiment with veggies! Buy frozen of any kind and try them out baked in the oven. Squash is a sweet veggie. Sweet potatoes are good cut up into small chunks and baked in a casserole dish half immersed with water and some maple syrup. Great desert.

Strawberries and chocolate sauce. Yes, chocolate, but its 1/10th the desert. The rest is a fruit!

Angel food cake with strawberries and chocolate.

I guess I could go on lol. But in my experience, if you just change up the WHOLE menu it might not be lasting. Better to be gradual and introduce new dishes gradually and see if it works. We made spaghetti squash boats and decided it wasn't going to do for us so now we are moving into a new dish. Kwim?
K_D88
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you. I appreciate it.

Quoting QueenieAbby:

Oh, this is very easy for me as I'm the queen for quick and easy.  LOL.  Here are a few ideas.

(1) crockpot turkey breast... get the kind with bone already as it will be juicier... remove giblets... wash... and put in the crockpot... cover the entire turkey with water and add some sea salt, pepper, and whatever spices you like (I just add poultry seasoning). Let it cook all day... remove and let sit for about 10 minutes... it will pull apart so easily.  Cook some frozen broccoli (I like the Bird's Eye family packs)... put in microwavable dish... add a few tablespoons of water... nuke for 7 minutes... drain water... add some butter, EVOO, or coconut oil.  Now you have a well-balanced and healthy meal.

(2) Season some flank steaks and throw on the grill for 5 minutes on each side (or however well done you like them).  While meat is on the grill, microwave some fresh asparagus with a few tablespoons of water for 7 minutes... add coconut oil and some sea salt.  Yum!

(3) In the morning, marinade salmon flanks with a mix of 1/4 cup Tamari sauce, 1 garlic clove, and pinch of sea salt and black pepper. When you get home from work, bake on 400 degrees Fahrenheight for approximately 20 minutes.  Add a nice side salad with Romaine, tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a journal here where I put together a list of some great websites (and other resources).

I love this crock pot chili recipe (I actually had leftovers of this tonight for dinner!)

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:28 AM

These ladies have some great ideas!  Personally, I like Rachael Ray recipes...I just use healthier ingredients and decrease the portions...her portions are large!

copper
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:46 PM

http://www.hungrygirl.com/  She has some great recipes!  http://www.weightwatchers.com/ you can go here and join the community for free without joining the  plan that costs.

chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Crock pot Taco chicken... I/2 can of chicken broth, 3-4 chicken breasts, 1/2 packet taco seasoning, 1/2 jar chunky salsa. Cook on low 6 hours. Shred and enjoy with all sorts of things! Wraps, tortillas, tostadas, chicken empanadas!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)