Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grocerie on a Budget?!

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:20 PM
  • 35 Replies

Okay, I need some help on staple foods to buy every week when grocery shopping. Our budget is between $100-$130 a week and everything's so expensive! There aren't any farmer markets right now since it's winter. I just have no idea what to do or how to shop to stretch my dollar! DH & I are ttc so right now it's just he and I that I shop for. Thanks ladies!

wedding countdown 

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hunnybadgerkins
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:27 PM
2 moms liked this
I shop around the edge. I buy whatever produce looks good, chickens (whole from a farm), eggs, fats (coconut oil, olive oil, pastured butter, almond butter), coconut milk, frozen berries and veggies, and my budget is close to yours.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ttc1rainbow
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Thank you! what is almond butter used for?

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

I shop around the edge. I buy whatever produce looks good, chickens (whole from a farm), eggs, fats (coconut oil, olive oil, pastured butter, almond butter), coconut milk, frozen berries and veggies, and my budget is close to yours.

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Snacking! Yum :)

Quoting ttc1rainbow:

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
susieQ680
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Hot dogs biscuits and tomatoe soup cheep . Spagetti /spagetti sauce or Brown rice and caned chili and shedded cheese.ts a casserole. cook the rice like the package says then put one lay in the dish , then put the chili then the cheddar cheese. put in oven until colden brown on top .

ttc1rainbow
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:42 PM

No kidding! I'll have to try it! Thanks!

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

Snacking! Yum :)

Quoting ttc1rainbow:

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

MissTacoBell
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Meal planning. Lots of frozen vegitables. No soda. Meats in bulk amounts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ttc1rainbow
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Thankfully my dh and I despise soda! lol Our money is rarely wasted on things like that. I just find the meat and veggies killing my wallet. Guess I'll stock up on frozen!

Quoting MissTacoBell:

MissTacoBell
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Look for a local butcher. They usually sell assortments of meats in value packs. It's a much better value than the supermarkets but you need freezer room. My parents bought a deep freezer for meats from the butcher:

Quoting ttc1rainbow:

Thankfully my dh and I despise soda! lol Our money is rarely wasted on things like that. I just find the meat and veggies killing my wallet. Guess I'll stock up on frozen!

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sparklz123
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I have recently discovered 99 cent stores and Dollar Tree stores. They are AMAZING! They have so many food items, snacks, fruit pretty much anything you can think of. I fed my family of 6 for only $25 this week! That's amazing considering I easily spend about $500 to $700 a month at a regular grocery store. Times are tough for us as well, these stores have been a life saver! Check em out! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)