Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any Tips/Advice?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:15 PM
  • 5 Replies

I am a Mom of 2 boys, a 2 1/2 year old and a 2 1/2 month old.  I had my first completely natural and my second was a c section.  I wasn't able to nurse my first born, but I have been exclusively nursing my 2nd born.  I have always been conscience about my health and weight, I used to dance, and it worries me that if I diet, it may reduce my milk supply.  Does anyone have tips or advice on how to diet and excercise while breastfeeding?  Or which workouts will help the best to tighten up after a c section?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you!!

- Mariah

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Welcome to the group!

Do you have a plan yet?  It's always good to have a sense of how many calories you can consume in a day.  If you'd like we can calculate them for you, if you'll post (or PM me) your height, weight, age, and how much you work out (and a reminder that you're BFing).

You can exercise just the same as you would if you weren't BFing, but you may need to take it a little easy on the ab workouts a bit.  The skin will take time to tighten up, and the scar doesn't help of course.  Strength training and cardio together will be good, but the most important factor is your food intake.  Choosing clean foods will help a lot.  I have a journal here with what that means.

As long as you don't restrict your calories too much, your supply shouldn't be affected.  Don't restrict your carbs like crazy or do anything like that.  A good balance of the food groups and sticking to real, whole foods will help you.  Of course, drink plenty of water too.

Good luck!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

funhappymom
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I agree with the above. As long as you're not restricting what you are eating, greatly, and keep your fluids up, you should be ok, especially now that your supply should be leveling out and established. Remember you won't want to lose more than a lb or two a week while nursing.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I agree with Suzanne above.  Welcome and congrats!

MLucas329
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Thank you!  

nlonnon
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Welcome, congrats and Suzanne said it best :)  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)