Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Alternatives

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:38 PM
  • 7 Replies

I cannot get into a lot of the mainstream fad workouts like a lot of women due to my bad hips. I can do Pilate's, Yoga, and jogging just fine as long as I do my Yoga to help with my hips. That works for me but I never really got to see if it slimmed me down to my goal weight because I started gaining weight while working out. I watched my diet. Ate the proper balanced meals of protein, fats, and so forth. I even did the journals. I have to have a special diet due to my issues with PCOS and have researched the crap out of how to control that naturally. What happened? Apparently working out makes you more frisky and I ended up getting pregnant with all the proper nutrition and working out lol. 

I am less than three months from my due date and I am starting to plan my work out again. My husband jogs as well so I have a jogging partner. But I am wondering what other work outs can I do that isn't so hard on my hips like squats? It isn't the normal pain when I do the squats either. No matter how easy I take it my hips hurt so bad that I end up crying in pain. I know it is my hips rather than the muscles because I know muscle burn and that isn't it lol. My doctor told me to back off the squats when doing major work outs. When I do Yoga it doesn't hurt as bad because it isn't constant up and down during my prenatal Yoga. Basically I sit in a a very low squat which isn't the same thing. So what other alternatives is there to getting that perky butt and legs? 

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this

What about stair climbing, or walking at a steep incline?  That gets my legs and butt like crazy!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Looneyfarmmom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:46 PM

We do have some hills near us but not a lot of steps. I would love to annoy a few businesses by running up and down their fire escapes if they will let me lol. 

Quoting musicpisces:

What about stair climbing, or walking at a steep incline?  That gets my legs and butt like crazy!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL!  Maybe there's a business with elevators that has a lesser used stairwell you could use?  I know the hospital I have clinicals at has a section that's 4 stories, so those stairs are always great.  Parking garages can be good for that, too.

Quoting Looneyfarmmom:

We do have some hills near us but not a lot of steps. I would love to annoy a few businesses by running up and down their fire escapes if they will let me lol. 

Quoting musicpisces:

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Looneyfarmmom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

You know, now that I think of it I can hit the mall to do that. Unfortunately I live in rural Nampa, Idaho so it isn't filled with parking garages or very tall businesses. A lot of one story places. But the mall does have a two story stair case that leads up to the mall's business portion. They are so relaxed that they will let me run up and down and not call the cops on me. So win for me! LOL!

Quoting musicpisces:

LOL!  Maybe there's a business with elevators that has a lesser used stairwell you could use?  I know the hospital I have clinicals at has a section that's 4 stories, so those stairs are always great.  Parking garages can be good for that, too.

Quoting Looneyfarmmom:

Quoting musicpisces:

itsm3
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:16 AM

swimming!! aquafit!  anything in the water is fantastic for joints and excellent cardio.  also conditions the muscles because of the natural resistence.

you can do toning using resistence bands while sitting... bands provide excellent workouts just as much as free weights can.  you can sit while using bands; that's the beauty of it.  just google "resistence band exercises sitting" and you'll see a ton of videos.  this is what physiotherapists do for those who are in recoup for leg injuries etc.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Stefanie has a lot of good advice for this as she has issues with her hips as well.  Good luck and congrats on your soon to be little one:)

KJC119
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Foam rolling!  I had a lot of hip and lower back pain during my pregnancy.  I would foam roll in the morning and at night which helped a lot.  Let me know if you have any questions or need links of how to do this :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)