Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

sweet tooth

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:26 PM
  • 15 Replies

i have a sweet tooth and need ideas for healthy dessert. 

Anyone?

thanks in advance.

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baseballmom5416
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:27 PM

im in the same boat..

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Paleo Baked Apples from paleomama.com

4 large Fuji, Gala, or Honeycrisp apples

4 tsp coconut oil

1/4 cup raisins

4 tsp apple cider

1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice

1/4 cup walnuts , chopped

Directions

Peel apples.  Using a melon baller, scoop out the core until you get just past the seeds (you don’t want to go all the way through.) Stand apples in 8×8 glass baking dish or 9 in glass pie plate. Fill center of each apple with 1 tsp coconut oil, 1 tbs of raisins, and 1 tsp cider.

Sprinkle spice over apples in dish.  Cover and cook in microwave on Medium-High (70% power) for 10-15 minutes or until apples are very tender when tested with fork.

Let apples stand, covered, 5 minutes. Serve with chopped walnuts on top.

.....I'm not sure the microwave was part of the Paleolithic lifestyle, but it works for me!

MrsJoe125
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Use honey and cocoa for a fruit dip (strawberries, bananas, etc.)

I sometimes substitute Truvia for half the sugar in baked goods (works well for anything were the sugar doesn't have a chemical job, like caramelization, etc.)  or anything else with sugar (although I don't like it in tea or coffee).  Truvia goes PHENOMONALLY well with strawberries.

I used Truvia in place of sugar in an Alton Brown recipe for chocolate syrup, but that got hard and weird and I haven't had the chance to perfect the recipe.

I suggest finding substitutions for the sugar in recipes.  Using zero-calorie sweeteners (even the natural ones) messes with your tastebuds and your metabolism.  Try substituting honey, etc.  Also, making your own desserts instead of buying them makes a big difference, especially since you have control over what goes in them and whate doesn't.

Hope this helps.  I can try to find some recipes if you need them.  (there are a lot of online resources too, if you're good at that; I'm not, I have to tweak recipes I have in my collections. lol)

Quoting baseballmom5416:

im in the same boat..

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I have not tried these yet...

Dark Chocolate Mocha Truffles

(adapted from www.primal-palate.com's recipe)

• 1 c. almond butter
  • 1 Tbsp. honey
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. coffee (not brewed, just the grounds)
  • 1 dark chocolate bar (72% or more pure chocolate)
  • unsweetened coconut flakes (optional)

Mix almond butter, honey, vanilla, salt and coffee until VERY well mixed.  Roll into balls.  Melt dark chocolate in a double boiler or some other way that doesn't involve direct heat (microwave, in a large measuring cup in a skillet full of water, etc.)  Dip balls into chocolate and let cool a bit on waxed paper before sprinkling with coconut.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Chocolate Bark

• 1/2 c. coconut oil, melted
  • 3 Tbsp. baking cocoa
  • 4 oz. nuts (optional but GOOD)
  • 3 to 4 Tbsp. raisins/craisins/dried blueberries/shredded coconut (optional but GOOOOOD)
  • 1/2 to 1 tsp. sugar (not "Paleo" but takes some of the bitter out; I have thought of using honey but didn't with our first try)

Place a cookie pan in the freezer about 10 minutes before starting this.

Mix all ingredients together.  The oil/cocoa mixture will be very soupy, not at all thick.  Remove pan from freezer and place waxed paper over it.  Pour mixture onto waxed paper, spreading nuts/fruit evenly.  Put back into freezer until hard, about 5 to 10 minutes.  Break into pieces to eat.

NOTE:  THIS IS VERY ADDICTING!  YOU WILL HAVE TO FORCE YOURSELF TO WALK AWAY!  LOL

Mortiferouslatt
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:41 PM
I like frozen bananas, frozen fruit blended with agave syrup to your taste and a tiny bit of water- homemade sorbet, baked apples, black bean brownies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Banana-cado Chocolate Pudding

Posted By thefoodieandthefamily On January 28, 2012 @ 3:54 pm In All Recipes,Dessert,Fruit

Cooking Time: 5 minutes

Serves: 5

Ingredients and Cooking Steps

• 6 ripe avocados
  • 2 very ripe bananas
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup (or less) maple syrup or raw honey
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • dash of cinnamon

Puree all ingredients in a food processor until smooth and fluffy. Serve immediately or press a piece of plastic wrap onto the top of the pudding and refrigerate.

The recipe is easily halved and you can sweeten it to your own taste.

Article printed from Fast Paleo: http://fastpaleo.com

URL to article: http://fastpaleo.com/banana-cado-chocolate-pudding/

emilyrosenj
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Oh I was just on sparkpeople and saw one for frozen bananas and another for almond, cinnamon balls...

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Fruit-and-Nut Breakfast Bars Photo by: Iain Bagwell; Dan Becker

Fruit-and-Nut Breakfast Bars

Easy to make and very tasty, these breakfast bars are pure fruit, nuts, and seeds—no pasty fillers.

Sunset JANUARY 2008

• Yield: Makes 8 bars
  • Total:30 Minutes

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 cup whole Medjool dates (about 5), halved and pitted
  • 1 cup whole raw almonds with skins
  • 1/2 cup dried apricots
  • 1/4 cup dried plums (prunes)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
  • 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 300°. Pour orange juice over dates and let soak 5 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, place almonds, dried apricots, and dried plums in a food processor and pulse a few times until coarsely chopped. Add salt and dates with orange juice and pulse until mixture starts to stick together. Add pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds, pulsing a few times just to incorporate.

3. Using wet hands, scoop mixture onto a work surface and form into a log about 1 3/4 in. wide and 1/2 in. thick. Use your palms to flatten into a bar, and cut bar into 8 equal pieces.

4. Arrange pieces about 1 in. apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 8 minutes. Using a heatproof spatula, turn bars over and bake another 8 minutes, or until nuts are toasted (but before fruit begins to burn). Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)