Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

too cold to run..

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:18 AM
  • 11 Replies

Today it  hit 17degrees. it became un fun to run out side. I do not have a treadmill.

I just picked up a nordic track.. Wondering how long a day i would have to use it to feel anything.. i usualy run atleast 3.1 miles a day.. and i love how i feel. But with it being just to cold right now. i have been walking home. and doing some ab work on my ball. but i need to do more.. in less i just need to start eating less. this week i feel i haven't lost anything.. I have 2 pounds to go.. and the hard part i am noticing is eating the right foods.. so i loose the weight..

Any ideas all please

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Personally, I'd run anyway.  it was 24 for my run the other day, it's 27 now, and I'm heading out shortly.  I have a post here about running in the cold, which might give you some ideas.

Give the Nordic Track a go, and see how it goes.  Do you have any DVDs you could do at home to get your heart rate up?

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

QueenieAbby
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Brrrr!  That is cold, and I wouldn't want to run outside either.  sad  The Nordic Track use to be a great workout, but I haven't heard about them for a long time.  I think you'll do just fine with it.  Even if it's not as brutal as your runs, you'll still be getting some form of activity in which is better than doing nothing.  You could always pick up a kettlebell or some dumbbells at Walmart or the sporting goods store.  Bob Harper has some awesome DVDs for an economical price on Amazon that would get you to started on some resistance training.  That will definitely help you bust through body fat.  wink

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Yep, I'd run anyway...I love to run in the cold!  LOL!

Quoting musicpisces:

Personally, I'd run anyway.  it was 24 for my run the other day, it's 27 now, and I'm heading out shortly.  I have a post here about running in the cold, which might give you some ideas.

Give the Nordic Track a go, and see how it goes.  Do you have any DVDs you could do at home to get your heart rate up?

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I dig the kettlbell idea.

Quoting QueenieAbby:

Brrrr!  That is cold, and I wouldn't want to run outside either.  sad  The Nordic Track use to be a great workout, but I haven't heard about them for a long time.  I think you'll do just fine with it.  Even if it's not as brutal as your runs, you'll still be getting some form of activity in which is better than doing nothing.  You could always pick up a kettlebell or some dumbbells at Walmart or the sporting goods store.  Bob Harper has some awesome DVDs for an economical price on Amazon that would get you to started on some resistance training.  That will definitely help you bust through body fat.  wink

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I hate cold.  I'm trying to do more home workouts for now and also trying to get to the gym at least 1-2 days for my running. 

Mrs.Ro
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM

The only thing about running in the cold.. is it is at 7 am . I can't run any other time inless it is on the weekends. I am in Wisconsin. so yeah.. it was like 17 degrees out this mornin.. Monday it is supposed to be 9 .. :(

I love the feel of the cold when i run.. don't get me wrong but i don't like to be cold while i run.. i like to enjoy it

Idntreallycare
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:31 PM
run anyways, just layer up
FrumpyMama
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I can't handle running in the cold. When my fingers and toes are numb when I get home, it's no long fun. I joined a gym. I figured it was worth it just for the few months of deep freeze. 

Mrs.Ro
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:35 PM

i thought i was.. i wear running pants that are made for cold weather.. long sleeve shirt under running jacket. 2 pairs of gloves and ear muffs.. it is the legs.. maybe  i am just being lazy.. i really enjoy running!

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Yeah... I live in GA, so there is no way I would run in 17F.. lol... not this old girl! I loathe the cold. 40 is pushing it for this southern girl for a run even though I have plenty of cold weather running gear. 

I would do like Abby suggested and give the Nordic Track a go and if necessary invest in some DVDs, kettlebells, or weights. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)