Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help! So Many Roadblocks!

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:29 AM
  • 8 Replies

I have been up and down in weight since my DD was born in 2005. I have done well, then fallen off the wagon, so to speak. I've been from 125lb pre-preg) to 185lb(9mos preg) and everywhere in between. MY goal weight is 130lb. LoseIt! .com was the only thing I found to be successful in continuous weight loss. Until I hit a plateau. I tried different things to get out of the funk, and eventually found myself cheating, then losing myself to food again. 

I can't tell if it's because I LOVE food and find it comforting or because I quit smoking when I got pregnant and never filled the void it left. I can't figure out what my triggers are to binge eat, other than time of day, or if it's depression or bordom! 

I feel my roadblocks are:

food addiction - lack of will power - LAME - something I really want to overcome

Money - I really love to eat healthy foods, but I can't always afford to shop at the health food stores, and/or by special diet type foods just for me. I have to make sure my daughter eats healthy before me.

Time - between full time work, full time mom and everything in between, I don't have a lot of time to exercise without comprimising sleep. I do walk to work when I can, though. We live in the mountains, nearest Gym is 20mins away. I also don't have time to make big production dinners every night.

Husband: not as big deal, but every time I try to diet he kind of belittles it, like it's not improtant. Or he'll make something I can't eat and get offended if I don't eat much. I talked to him about getting a treadmill and he won't hear of it.

ability - I am not the greatest cook, not bad, but it doesnt come natural to me, I wasn't given that knowledge growing up. I have learned so much though, but it's not my strong suit.

I know I need to do this for my health, by mind and my daughter! I want to set a good example for her. I just need help!

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Alwaysmotivated
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:58 AM

Everything that you have mentioned seem to me to be common, I guess I can relate, except for the hubby part,, he doesn't really say anything.. But first it really is mind over matter.  We have to want to do it and nothing will come in our way.. I have been trying to lose between 15 and 25 lbs, I think the most I have done is about 3lbs, just being real.. I have no will power..(plan on changing that attitude) So just be accountable to yourself, watch portion size, exercise and it will happen :) Good Luck to you.. That being said, I am starting today..

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this

food addiction - lack of will power - LAME - something I really want to overcome  You need an accountability partner or partners....that's why we're here.   Have that person go shopping with you so they can keep you from buying unhealthy foods.

Money - I really love to eat healthy foods, but I can't always afford to shop at the health food stores, and/or by special diet type foods just for me. I have to make sure my daughter eats healthy before me.  You don't need to shop at health food stores to buy healthy foods.  Veggies and fruits are plentiful at any grocery store.  The best diet is made of real foods, not manufactured diet gimmick foods.  Plan meals before you shop.  Soups are cheap to make and healthy.  Frozen veggies are often better than fresh because of processing time vs. shipping & waiting on shelves time....and frozen are often cheaper.  I feed 5 adult appetites for $50 to $70 a week, and we eat a LOT of fresh/frozen veggies, some fruits, farm fresh eggs, nuts, coconut milk.  Meat isn't included in that cost because I buy in bulk once a year.

Time - between full time work, full time mom and everything in between, I don't have a lot of time to exercise without comprimising sleep. I do walk to work when I can, though. We live in the mountains, nearest Gym is 20mins away. I also don't have time to make big production dinners every night.  You're doing fine on the exercise...at least you're conscious of the fact that you do need to exercise.  As for dinners, cooking from scratch doesn't have to be a big production.  I cook from scratch all the time, using my crockpot and/or little snippets of time to prep food then cook/bake with little supervision.  For instance, last night we had chicken parmesan over spaghetti squash.  I cooked the squash in the microwave (no tending needed), took 5 minutes to get the chicken cooking and sauce made, took another 5 to put it together and put in the oven to bake.  Basically, 15 minutes in the kitchen to get a hot, cooked from scratch meal in the oven.  A main dish salad takes only a few minutes to prepare, much less time than a box of mac & cheese.  The key is to have a meal plan so that you can plan quick fix meals for busy nights and see what can be done ahead of time.

Husband: not as big deal, but every time I try to diet he kind of belittles it, like it's not improtant. Or he'll make something I can't eat and get offended if I don't eat much. I talked to him about getting a treadmill and he won't hear of it.  Ignore his behavior. There are a few reasons I could speculate that he's doing this:  he's afraid you'll make HIM diet, he thinks you'll lose weight and then not be attracted to him, he's afraid you'll be no fun while you're dieting, or he's worried it'll cost more money....etc.  Don't tell him you're dieting.  Just say you're not hungry.

ability - I am not the greatest cook, not bad, but it doesnt come natural to me, I wasn't given that knowledge growing up. I have learned so much though, but it's not my strong suit. Cooking from scratch doesn't have to be hard.  I made my own spaghetti sauce last night from a can of tomato puree and the addition of spices.  Works fine.  Cooking simple meals is usually easier and healthier than you'd think.

You can do this!  ~hugs~

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Welcome to the group!

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:11 AM

We don't have a very big food budget either, I never buy special diet foods. The only thing I buy that is more expensive is sprouted bread. Eggs, whole chickens, carrots, bananas, onions, green bell peppers, etc, etc, etc are pretty affordable. More so than some less healthy foods. 

I work full time too. I work out on my lunch break now. I know that's not an option for most people.  I exercised after my kids went to bed 5-6 nights per week for over a year though.  While I was in the habit, it wasn't a big deal. 

I very rarely make a dinner that takes a long time.  Well on Saturdays and Sundays I sometimes will. Usually my meals are relatively quick. Eggs with guacamole, chicken fajitas, etc.  Most of my meals are 30 minute meals :)  I make lots of extra on the weekends for my work lunches and a night of leftovers during the week.  I didn't use to be much of a cook but practice has definitely helped!

Just keeping working on it, little by little. Good luck!

jjm3only1
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Losing weight for everyone is hard. You just have to want it bad enough. I can relate to a few of those things that you are struggling with and the only thing I can tell you is you have to have the will power to do so. If you tell yourself you can't, then you won't. Tell yourself you CAN and you WILL do it! 

Your food addiction: I think you just need to figure out what is triggering your food addiction. Keep a food journal and write down when you eat and everything you eat. Do that for a week. Then go back and see what patterns you notice. Is it when your TV shows are on? Is it late at night? Once you figure those things out you can then find a solution for it. If it's during your TV shows, limit how much you watch TV, or make healthy snacks, like apple chips to eat instead of unhealthy food. 

Money: Money is EVERYONE's issue. lol. It's all about budgeting! Some of the healthiest meals are the cheapest. You know what's expensive??? Everything in the middle isles! Shop the paremeter of the grocery store, like produce, dairy, meats and you will save. I used to think eating healthy was expensive, but now that I've learned what's healthy, I actually save money. For instance, 2 snacks that I enjoy are hard boiled eggs and plain oatmeal. Well, both are around $2 and can last you a week. So $4 for a week worth of snacks. Also, buy a bag of frozen chicken and make chicken salads for lunch. There are TONS of ways to save money. 

Time: I hear this often, and I am sure 90% of people can vouche for you. Having limited time can play a big roll in if you workout or not. But you have to realize that everyone has 24 hours in a day. It's how you spend it. You just have to plan your days accordingly and fit a workout in when you can. Start with 10-15 minutes a day. I was reading someone elses post saying how they workout while commercials are on, etc. So you can do something like that. Do squats while you brush your teeth. I think walking to work is wonderful and that IS considered exercise, so keep that up!! :) Also, with eating healthy and saving money on food, it's all about planning ahead. Pick a day out of a week where you can devote at least 2 hours to plan and prepare all of your meals for that week. It may seem tedious, but you will save A LOT of hours the rest of the week by taking the prep and guess work out of your meals. 

Husband: I would totally let that go in one ear and out the other. Or, use his negative energy to fuel your desire to get in shape. People are gonna tell you you can't, and then when they see you making progress, they will belittle you. You have to learn to use that as your advantage to prove people wrong. In the end, if you reach your goals, I'm sure he will grow to respect your decision on your lifestyle change and be willing to change as well. I started working out and eating healthy back in June, which, my Fiance wasn't really excited about. But I can tell you this much, since I have stuck to it, and haven't let him get in my way, he is started to join in on it. He's making healthier choices, wanting to workout, etc. 

Ability: You can be and do ANYTHING you want in life. Do not let your childhood determine who you are. If you want to learn to cook, have an open mind and do so. There are ENDLESS healthy recipes on the internet that anyone can follow. It will take time to start coming up with things on your own, but if you are persistent and consistent then you can and will learn to cook. 

I hope that helps you a little. Bottom line is, just DO it. You can not wait for the right circumstances to come along because it will never be the right time. You're never going to have time unless YOU make time, you're never going to learn to cook unless YOU take the initiative to, you're never going to have money to eat healthy unless YOU budget, etc. You can do it!!!!!! :)

naz223
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Thanks for all the input! I don't buy unhealthy foods, the problem is I eat too much. I think my biggest obstacle is my will power. I do so well throughout the day, but when I get home...I snack, then I make dinner and eat too much. I just have to figure out some strategies to convince my self that I don't want another piece of cheese, I don't want to fill my plate and really don't want seconds. I want to stay on a whole food type diet, really limiting the processed foods. This really helps with my skin and makes me feel generally better, and more energetic. I do well during the week when I get really motivated, but then the weekend comes around and there are so many temptations! Family and friends get-to-gethers, with lots of free feeding on really yummy food, beer on football Sunday, Friday night pizza (I usually have salad, then find myself hungry later)....you get the idea. I wish I had a shock collar that would zap me when I start to indulge! It's an inner struggle no one but me can overcome, but I am getting tired of the fight.

wahmx3
by Shelley on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Sounds like you are on the right track! Try and add more veggies to your plate, they are super filling with fewer calories. Snacks are great just plan for them in your day and have healthier, lower calorie options available and ready to eat.  I think we all struggle with weekends....if you are going somewhere, take a healthy snack to share.... veggies and dip, fruit, pretzels and dip, hummus etc. A salad by itself for dinner will not likely fill you for the evening, make your own pizza so it can be lower fat and sodium, better choices of toppings and you are good to go.

One other thing... sometimes I will make myself get up and move around, wait 15 minutes before having a snack and have a full glass of water before eating anything else... sometimes just waiting will help curb the craving.

I love the shock collar idea.... many of us could use one!

Quoting naz223:

Thanks for all the input! I don't buy unhealthy foods, the problem is I eat too much. I think my biggest obstacle is my will power. I do so well throughout the day, but when I get home...I snack, then I make dinner and eat too much. I just have to figure out some strategies to convince my self that I don't want another piece of cheese, I don't want to fill my plate and really don't want seconds. I want to stay on a whole food type diet, really limiting the processed foods. This really helps with my skin and makes me feel generally better, and more energetic. I do well during the week when I get really motivated, but then the weekend comes around and there are so many temptations! Family and friends get-to-gethers, with lots of free feeding on really yummy food, beer on football Sunday, Friday night pizza (I usually have salad, then find myself hungry later)....you get the idea. I wish I had a shock collar that would zap me when I start to indulge! It's an inner struggle no one but me can overcome, but I am getting tired of the fight.

itsm3
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:49 PM

food addiction - lack of will power - LAME - something I really want to overcome -- mind over matter.  only YOU can give power to food!  remember that food is an inanimate object that has no power over anyone unless a person gives it power.  do not give power to food!

Money - I really love to eat healthy foods, but I can't always afford to shop at the health food stores, and/or by special diet type foods just for me. I have to make sure my daughter eats healthy before me.  you don't have to shop at specialty health food stores; the regular grocery store will do.  i don't buy anything at the health food store; i shop organic if i can and if i can't, i don't sweat it.  the key is to look for coupons and sales; stock up on ingredients that you can keep for a while an use (ie. meats that can be frozen etc).  buy fresh, wholesome foods and avoid things that come out of bags, cans, boxes etc.

Time - between full time work, full time mom and everything in between, I don't have a lot of time to exercise without comprimising sleep. I do walk to work when I can, though. We live in the mountains, nearest Gym is 20mins away. I also don't have time to make big production dinners every night.  you don't have to have a long, drawn-out workout.  studies have shown that intense workouts 30mins and under are more effective at weight loss.  there are plenty of workouts that are 20mins or even 10mins but you go hard for those 10 or 20mins.  heck, there's even a 4mins tabatas workout on youtube that i started out with.  tony horton has a program called the 10min trainer and shaunt t (creator of insanity) has a 20min "fast and furious" version of his program for folks that are under time constraints.  in the time it took you to write up your post, you could have done one of these programs!!  you have to make time for exercise; just like how you make time for relaxation or family time or whatever. 

as for meals:  plan ahead.  write out your meal plan for the entire week and shop on the weekend for your ingredients.  also, the crock pot is your friend!  there are TONS of healthy crock pot recipes.  i also bake my snacks/breakfasts on the weekend for the coming week so i just make a batch and then store them for the week to eat on the go or at work.

Husband: not as big deal, but every time I try to diet he kind of belittles it, like it's not improtant. Or he'll make something I can't eat and get offended if I don't eat much. I talked to him about getting a treadmill and he won't hear of it. honestly, talk to him and if he still doesn't really care, pay no mind to what he thinks.  you are doing this for YOU.  while it would be nice to have his support, what it boils down to is YOU finding the motivation within YOURSELF.  if you want this bad enough, YOU WILL DO THIS FOR YOU.

ability - I am not the greatest cook, not bad, but it doesnt come natural to me, I wasn't given that knowledge growing up. I have learned so much though, but it's not my strong suit. this is what google is for.  i can only cook like, 5 things but i google the receipes for the rest.  i've found so many great healthy recipes - there are so many blogs that have them.  just take the time to plan out what you want to eat and look up the recipes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)