Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Not for me but my husband

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:40 AM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

Right now it is my husband who is the one losing weight. My husband has always been chunky except for when he worked as a window washer. Over the years he has let himself go and was on the verge of morbidly obese. While in college we both were in the red zone with our health with him pushing 260 and myself pushing 175. I ended up with GERD and a ton of other major health problems and my husband ended up with severe high blood pressure to the point he was on medication.

They told my husband he would NEVER be able to get off that medication again and that if I didn't change my ways I would have to be on it as well. So we started changing our ways. We didn't want to leave our son too soon. The salt went bye bye and sea salt took over. Soda's were on the chopping block and it took me a good 2 years to finally give up that addiction with Coca Cola. The GERD hit me hard and I lost a ton of weight fast on that junk. I had lost over 50 lbs in almost three months because of that. We had to learn how to control our health problems as well as try to lose weight. 

My husband has never really been on board with the whole thing and like I have said many times it was due to depression. Well we finally dealt with the depression and suddenly he has this new interest in being healthy. He has been jogging every day even in the frigid cold weather we have been having. We are changing our menu's to benefit those exercises and balance our lives. I even convinced him to eat every two hours and to keep track of his calorie intake. 

Well I am happy to say that he is losing a good amount of inches off of his waist to the point he has to wear a belt to keep his pants up! His scrubs do not fit anymore because they are too big. We also noticed his hair is coming back as well. I am just so proud of him. For a while I thought I would be a young widow with how everything was going. Oh and those blood pressure meds? Gone! Without the meds and just staying healthy his BP is sticking to 110/70. 

With both of us sticking to the healthy lifestyle our medical problems have been under control and that GERD the doctors thought I had was just severe acid reflux because they said they cannot find a trace of it anymore. I hardly needed medication through out my pregnancy except for when I eat certain trigger foods like garlic or chocolate. My PCOS is still there but like I said I am trying to keep it under control as much as I can with diet and exercise. Which is why the doctor thinks I became pregnant in the first place was because of this. 

His goal weight is 170 right now and I think he might just do it. And after the baby is born my goal weight is 120. That is healthy for the both of us and that is all we are aiming for.

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Looneyfarmmom
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM
2 moms liked this

Oh yeah and I think I need to throw out that bag of sugar lol it has been in my pantry for over a year untouched.

Silvertears1275
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

That's awesome!  There is a quote that says something to the effect that food can either be the best medicine or the worst poison.  It's so true.  Glad you guys are doing so well =)

wahmx3
by Shelley on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Love your story, hope you share it with family and friends.... people need to know they can get off prescription meds if they make some changes.... side effects of drugs are very scary.

Looneyfarmmom
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I just talked to my husband and he has lost 15 lbs which puts him at 240. We cannot tell our families anything about weight loss because they keep making excuses like "I would rather die living!" So we are showing them by example.

mjgm1966
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Good for both of you!  My husband has decided to get back on track too.  For years, I have been trying to do this alone...and it'll be so much easier with him.  We are finally working towards this together, and help to keep each other on track.  .  Even the meal planning isn't so hectic with us both trying to eat healthy!

catrig
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Make sure scrub.

Quoting Looneyfarmmom:

Oh yeah and I think I need to throw out that bag of sugar lol it has been in my pantry for over a year untouched.

Julia13
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Great! I joined WW in March and lost almost 60 lbs.It feels great doesn't it! Good luck to you both, wish my hubby would join me lol

reneawesley
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Great job!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)