Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

How do I convince my dad...

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM
  • 17 Replies
That he actually needs to eat more? He was 280 at 5'8 and 65 yrs old. He had a knee replaced and after he got better, started to loose weight. He started going to the gym after he turned 65 ( insurance finally pays for it) and is doing great. He works out for about an hour 3-5 days a week. He looks like he is melting and now weighs 230 something. I finally got him to put a mfp app on his phone so he can track. Mom said he isn't eating enough, and if she thinks so then he really isn't because she doesn't eat very much either. I calculated his bmr for him taking workouts into account and subtracting 500 for weight loss and he said there is no way he could eat that much. I know how he feels, I never thought I could eat my bmr and loose weight but I can ( as long as I stay pretty low carb). I advised him the same and he is thinking about it.

I am so proud of how great he is doing but he should be eating more. How can I convince him?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:53 PM

hmmm maybe find some good links online to send him?  or does he do the internet?  I know my dad doesn't so much lol

SMLemos
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Help him get started with small healthy snacks throughout the day.  See if he will add a protein shake around his workout too.  If you could get him to gradually increase the amount of times he eating in a day, then his body should start getting hungry more often which would encourage him to eat more.  Stuff like fruits, veggies, granola, nuts, yogurt, hard boiled egg, meal bars.  Just things that are quick but seem small to him.  

norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:13 PM
I guess I need to convince my mom to buy this stuff. She shops sales and uses coupons and doesn't buy 'hippy food'. Her groceries are the same nearly every week and she has bought the same things for 30 years at least.

Quoting SMLemos:

Help him get started with small healthy snacks throughout the day.  See if he will add a protein shake around his workout too.  If you could get him to gradually increase the amount of times he eating in a day, then his body should start getting hungry more often which would encourage him to eat more.  Stuff like fruits, veggies, granola, nuts, yogurt, hard boiled egg, meal bars.  Just things that are quick but seem small to him.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM
He has an iPhone that he can use for Internet ( it's much faster than his ancient computer). He usually just surfs political sites/blogs and reads the Wall Street journal online. I hope talking about his bmr today gets him interested in further research.

I really would like him to try the primal/ paleo way of eating because he has had tummy trouble all his life. He eats lots of high fiber foods and lots of veggies but he can't poop more than once every 10 days unless he eats 4 Metamucil crackers a day and has 2 glasses of water with 4 spoonfuls of powder Metamucil , every day.

Quoting Stefanie83:

hmmm maybe find some good links online to send him?  or does he do the internet?  I know my dad doesn't so much lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Silvertears1275
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Good for you dad for working so hard to lose weight!  I wish my parents would, but they have a laundry list of reasons why they can't and I have no clue how to get them to listen to me.  Maybe just being the example will help convince him?  That's what I'm hoping for with my family....

norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Honestly my brother set the example and we are all just following him. He went primal and Lower carb and lost over 100 lbs. he has kept it off for over a year, easily and looks awesome. He was type 2 diabetic and his cholesterol and blood pressure were really bad. The doc told him to come back in 6 months and get medication of he wasn't under control by then. He got it all under control, his numbers are great and he is not considered diabetic anymore :).

My dad used to think there wa s nothing any of us could do to loose weight because ' we're just built that way', my brother proved him wrong and he started to change how he did things.

Quoting Silvertears1275:

Good for you dad for working so hard to lose weight!  I wish my parents would, but they have a laundry list of reasons why they can't and I have no clue how to get them to listen to me.  Maybe just being the example will help convince him?  That's what I'm hoping for with my family....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Silvertears1275
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I tried to ease into a conversation about primal with my mom the other week and figured out really quickly that it wasn't going anywhere.  My dad has heart problems, so my mom is very into low-fat everything.  Red meat is a rare occurrence in their house. 

I'm hoping to be like your brother...  I'm diabetic and have high blood pressure.  My cholesterol isn't even considered borderline, but my doc is pushing me to get on meds for it because of my diabetes.  That's my only worry with primal because I've read about cholesterol actually going up for some people (although I know that the link between cholesterol and heart disease is debatable) so I'm glad to hear it actually helped your brother.  I just started this week and am loving it.  I figure if I can at least fix the weight, blood pressure, and diabetes that I'll have a better argument to present to the doctor against taking meds for the cholesterol.

Quoting norahsmommy:

Honestly my brother set the example and we are all just following him. He went primal and Lower carb and lost over 100 lbs. he has kept it off for over a year, easily and looks awesome. He was type 2 diabetic and his cholesterol and blood pressure were really bad. The doc told him to come back in 6 months and get medication of he wasn't under control by then. He got it all under control, his numbers are great and he is not considered diabetic anymore :).

My dad used to think there wa s nothing any of us could do to loose weight because ' we're just built that way', my brother proved him wrong and he started to change how he did things.

Quoting Silvertears1275:

norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:59 PM
I enjoy primal. I used to have problems with hypoglycemia and I don't anymore because my blood sugar isn't on a constant roller coaster. That alone has helped my mood. My brothers gf is type 1 diabetic and she has been able to lower her insulin dose by half because of going primal/ low carb this year. She may even be able to have kids someday if she continues to do so well. Are you on mfp? If you are I'll send you a friend request.

Quoting Silvertears1275:

I tried to ease into a conversation about primal with my mom the other week and figured out really quickly that it wasn't going anywhere.  My dad has heart problems, so my mom is very into low-fat everything.  Red meat is a rare occurrence in their house. 

I'm hoping to be like your brother...  I'm diabetic and have high blood pressure.  My cholesterol isn't even considered borderline, but my doc is pushing me to get on meds for it because of my diabetes.  That's my only worry with primal because I've read about cholesterol actually going up for some people (although I know that the link between cholesterol and heart disease is debatable) so I'm glad to hear it actually helped your brother.  I just started this week and am loving it.  I figure if I can at least fix the weight, blood pressure, and diabetes that I'll have a better argument to present to the doctor against taking meds for the cholesterol.

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting Silvertears1275:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Silvertears1275
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I am, but I'm a total slacker on tracking my calories lately.  LOL  My screenname is "silvertears"

Quoting norahsmommy:

I enjoy primal. I used to have problems with hypoglycemia and I don't anymore because my blood sugar isn't on a constant roller coaster. That alone has helped my mood. My brothers gf is type 1 diabetic and she has been able to lower her insulin dose by half because of going primal/ low carb this year. She may even be able to have kids someday if she continues to do so well. Are you on mfp? If you are I'll send you a friend request.

Quoting Silvertears1275:

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting Silvertears1275:

norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Sent you a request. I'm glutenfreemama. :)

Quoting Silvertears1275:

I am, but I'm a total slacker on tracking my calories lately.  LOL  My screenname is "silvertears"

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting Silvertears1275:

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting Silvertears1275:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)