Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Kristin's Fitness and Food Journal (Pics included)

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:44 PM
  • 21 Replies
2 moms liked this

Now that I think I've pulled myself back together, finally... after.. well... the holiday binge... I think I am ready to start another accountability journal. For those who regularly page through the posts on this page, I had one last year called "Kristin does Bob Harper's 20 Skinny Rules" or something like that. From August until November .. I went from 160 to about 146. In a nutshell.... Bob suggests greatly reducing the amount of grains (rice, bread), pasta and potatoes; drinking lots of water and eating protein every meal (he suggests five small ones).

I have kept up with a lot of his rules and made some of my own. But my diet is pretty boring now and would probably put all of y'all to sleep. So, I think I will focus this journal on my quest to tighten up and expand my yoga practice.

I am not done losing weight, though. I weighed 148 this morning (down from 172 at Christmas 2011... pic in the replies). I think I want to get down to about 130, but we will see.

In this journal, I will log my weight every Monday and will post thoughts on exercise, yoga and the challenges I am having. I will also try to post some pictures too.

01/18/13 weight: 148.2
01/28/13 weight 148. 2 (and holding, apparently)
02/04/13 weight 148.2 (AGAIN)
02/11/13 weight 146.2 ... oh, yeah!!

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KCisPaulsMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Here's what I looked like when I started.

KCisPaulsMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Here's what I looked like this morning (probably should not have worn a bulky sweater.

KCisPaulsMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:55 PM

With my fitness routine, I am working up to do doing a daily Yoga practice. I workout everyday, but I only do Yoga three times per week now.

This morning's workout was P90X - Yoga X. I was pleased that I was able to hold the crane arm balance for several seconds, but I was disheartened when I still had problems with Half Moon. I am a proactive kind of gal. I found a post on someone's blog on this very topic.

Her tips were:

BUILD YOUR BASE. The feet (big shock) are an important element in this pose. There are three main points of support on the feet: The ball of the big toe, the little toe, and the heel. Take a moment to stand in Tadasana and ground through those points of support. To find your center, you have to be OK with falling out of it, so rock around, explore your edges, then come back to center.

OPEN YOUR HIPS. Hips are another very important element for half moon pose. In order to stack your hips and avoid pain, your hips have to be flexible. But here is the point most people miss: They must also be strong! You can’t just sink into your hips and wrench them open — you need to be able to lift them.

STRENGTHEN YOUR CORE. The spine and abs are the last parts I’ll have you focus on. The spine is crucial in ALL yoga postures. Take care of it. One of the best ways to take care of your spine is to strengthen your core. You don’t have to clench it, but find a soft strength — the more you clench, the more you will cause resistance. Think of yourself like a willow. Strong and movable. Do not be stuck.

BREATHE. What’s the most important element of your yoga practice? BREATH! If you are not breathing, you are not present. Go as slowly as you need to for maintaining your breathing at all times.

Then... she also posted some poses to do to get your body ready to perform a successful Half Moon pose. Her entire entry can be found here:
http://www.athleta.net/2011/03/30/embrace-ardha-chandrasana-half-moon/

I am excited to try this during my next practice.

KCisPaulsMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I didn't have time to post yesterday. But, I did P90x chest, shoulders and triceps. This one is still my least favorite workout. However, I was excited when I could go a little lower with my "one armed push-ups." They still do not look like Demi Moore in GI Jane, but hopefully that will come in time.

Afterwards I did a youtube search for a breathing meditation. I found one that listed a Buddhist monk listed as a guide. I should have read more because it used a nun as a translator... and she was not soothing at all. Lesson learned.

I think I'm still figuring out a stratagy to lose the last 20 pounds. I've been doing protein smoothies for breakfast and lunch to get my post holiday appetite under control. I think I will do those for another two weeks... then... some combination of whole foods. My struggle is always figuring out what to take for lunch. I get bored with salads... and it is hard to find time to cook something. Leftovers usually aren't an option because my family eats what's cooked.

Today is a rest day. But... I did have a yummy breakfast that wasn't a smoothie. They had mangos on sale yesterday, so this morning... I had a mango and oatmeal with almond butter and raw honey.

KCisPaulsMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:35 AM

01/22/13

Great Yoga practice this morning. I was able to balance in both scale pose and forearm stand for a few seconds each this morning. Now I need to work on sustaining those balances for 25 breaths each. I also worked on my backbends, particularly scorpion. I can't quite bring my feet to my head, but... it's all a progression.

My meditation was a live recording of a Rodney Yee meditation. Pretty good. I think I need to order Jack Kornfield's CD when I get paid on Friday, though.. I can't seem to find anything for free that leaves me fully satisfied.

Breakfast
Coffee
Water
Mango
Oatmeal stirred with almond butter and raw honey.

KCisPaulsMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I was NOT feeling it this morning, but I managed to make it through P90X Legs and Back. I actually kind of question the neccessity of working legs because you work them pretty well in cardio and other workouts. Tomorrow is Turbo Fire 45 and Yoga where I will revisit the Half Moon pose issue.

On tap for food today... two protein smoothies (one green), a larabar and beef stew.

KCisPaulsMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:26 AM

January 25, 2013

Ok. I think I need to backtrack on the whole "not gonna log my food" thing. My weight is stalling at 148. It's not a horrible weight, but I am still overweight, so I'm backpedaling. Time to review Bob Harper once again.

His 20 skinny rules are:
1. Drink a large glass of water BEFORE Every meal-No Excuses!

2. Don't Drink Your Calories
3. Eat Protien at EVERY Meal -or stay hungry & grouchy!
4. Slash Your Intake of Refined Flours & Grains
5. Eat 30-50 grams of FIBER per day!
6. Eat Apples & Berries Every single day- Yes, EVERY-SINGLE-DAY!
7. NO Carbs after Lunch (this means no rice, pasta, grains or potatoes)
8.Learn to Read Food Labels so You know what you are eating!
9. Stop Guessing about Portion Size & Getit Right-for good!
10. No more added sweetners-including artificial ones!
11. Get rid of White potatoes! (In the book, he says that white potatoes are not bad, but many people tend to eat too many. He says if you can control your portions, eat them. If not, don't have them in your diet)
12. Make one day a week Meatless
13. Get rid of Fast foods & fried foods
14. Eat a REAL breakfast
15. Make Your own food and eat at least ten meals a week at home
16.. Banish High Salt Foods
17. Eat Your Vegetables-(no excuses)- Just DO it!
18.Go to bed hungry! (This does not mean starving. This just means you should not be FULL when you go to bed)
19. Sleep Right
20. Plan one splurge MEAL per week

Right away, I can see that I not doing well with the ones I have highlighted in red. I also remmber from the book that I am supposed to do two small snacks per day. I haven't been good about that and I think maybe my portions have been too big at dinner as a result. So, today... SNACK TIME.

Fitness-wise: Pull ups and half moon pose both contiue to allude me. Practice, practice, practice... I guess frown mini

Today's Log:

Fitness: P90X Yoga X
Meditation: Breathing medition - 10 minutes

Breakfast:
coffee
Water
Carrot cake protein smoothie (non-dairy)

Midmorning Powerboost:
Water
Hummus
Cucumbers

Lunch
water
green smoothie (almond milk, spinach, avocado, strawberries)

Midafternoon powerboost
water
apple
once oz cheese

EvryDayIsMyBday
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Great journal and awesome tips! Keep it up :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KCisPaulsMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM

01/29/13

An Exercise in Motivation

I am trying not to focus too hard on the fact that my weight has not budged since Christmas. This week ... I'm feeling a little hormonal, so Auntie Flow must be on her way. She's so irregular..who knows when she will show up. The good news is that when she finally DOES get here, I will likely show some loss. So... yeah... for flow.

This morning, I did a Shiva Rea DVD and a 10 minute breathing meditation. Because I am sore (see above), I was SO not wanting to do any of it. But, I have made a pledge to myself to work toward a daily practice (no matter how I feel) starting May 1, so I figured now was not the time to whimp out on myself. Despite the fact that I was having a fight with my mind the whole time, I did finish.  I have seen a lot of mamas in this group ask about motivation, so I thought it important to share how I stayed motivated today even when I did not want to do it and felt like quitting several times throughout the workout.

Breakfast
coffee
Water
strawberry/banana breakfast smoothie

Midmorning power boost
water
cucumbers
hummus

Lunch
water
Left over shredded pork
salad

Midafternoon powerboost
water
apple
string cheese stick

Extrafrown mini
Larabar (curse you, PMS!)

Dinner
water
pork chop
green beans
potato mash

KCisPaulsMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:24 AM

01/30/13

Temptation

I feel like I am past the point that I can easily be bothered by the sight of sweets (you know, unless I'm PMSing). But, it is still hard not to stare and wonder what a chocolate chip muffin, for example, would taste like. I saw one in the coffee shop this morning and I had to repeat to myself, "You are here just to get coffee. You are here just to get coffee."

I wonder if the temptation to overindulge will ever go away!?! Probably not. Positive self talk helps me for sure. I just have to be really careful with my trigger foods. It has taken me almost a month after the holidays to get my cravings to the point where they are not nagging me too much. This must be how a recovering alcoholic feels around alcohol. Ugh.

Meanwhile.. I did NOT want to get up this morning. When I finally did, I did not have enough time to do both Turbo Fire and Yoga, so I just did Turbo Fire. I did;however, squeeze in a 15 minute breathing meditation. I am hoping that a regular meditation practice will help keep out negativity and stress, preventing emotional eating.

Breakfast
coffee
water
pineapple/banana/coconut smoothie with protein powder

Midmorning power boost
water
veggies
hummus

Lunch
water
tuna
Salad

midafternoon powerboost
water
one ounce cheese
berries

Dinner
water
spaghetti squash with marinara and turkey sausage

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)