Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Losing a lot of weight...a concern

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:44 AM
  • 22 Replies

I really need to lose a good 80 pounds.  But there is something I'm concerned about.  There is a certain....look that some people get when they lose a lot of weight.  Just this sort of gaunt look in their face...anyone know what I mean?  I really, really don't want to get that look.  Sometimes I can just look at a person and tell that they have lost a large amount of weight because they have that "look."  I hope this is making sense, it feels like it's coming out as clear as mud, lol.  But how do you lose the amount of weight you need to lose if it's a lot and avoid that it's-obvious-I-just-lost-a-ton-of-weight look?  Not everyone who loses weight gets it, but some people do.  I would really like to avoid that.

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:46 AM
4 moms liked this

Well, I don't think that matters in my opinion. Lose the weight to become more healthy and whatever "look" you have after isn't something you can control.  I wouldn't focus too much on that. Just one day at a time.

BelindaDuvessa
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:52 AM

I know the look you are talking about.  The only thing I could think of would be if those people lost weight way too quickly.  But I wonder if losing weight slower would avert some of that.  Regardless, like Darby said, getting healthy is more important than that look.  It may not be something you can have any control.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I personally feel that if a person eats right (gets more than enough nutrition) while dieting and drinks enough water, they will look great.  Some will depend on age, too...older people that lose a lot of weight don't have the same skin elasticity and skin may sag.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:54 AM

oh yeah....HI, Pink!!!!  Good to see you here!

nlonnon
by Tasha on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:28 AM
I don't think I have ever paid attention.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gmgej
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes I know the look but honestly most people I have seen this look on have had gastric bypass, and have not improved their eating just ate smaller amounts of crap. I think loosing weight by eating healthy and excercising with be a huge help with the "look"

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:20 AM
I could only guess that that look is from being unhealthy ? Actually I can't think of anyone like that but I think my grandma looks older when she loses weight. But she's ... Well old ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsm3
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:32 AM

i've never heard of that... i've never heard of people who have lost weight the healthy way look like that.. only when they've done it the unhealhty way.

i have a friend who went from like, close to 300lbs to a healthy 150lbs (where he should be) and i swear, he looks like he's 19 and looks AMAZING.  no gaunt-look or anything.  in fact, every time i see pictures of him it's like he gets younger and younger!  he just changed what he ate and started exercising regularly.  he actually ran the spartan race last year and training for that is what made him lose all is weight. 

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I lost 89lbs in 10 months :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lesgerm
by Leslie on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:40 AM

My before and after 50 lb loss. If you do it slow and healthy I think you'll look great :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)