Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

HAS ANyONE DONE THE KOMEN 3 DAy WALk

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:50 AM
  • 6 Replies
IM AM INTERESTED IN SUPPORTING THE 2013 SUSAN G. KOMEN WALK FOR THE BREAST CANCER FOUNDATION. HAS ANYONE JOINED BEFORE? IS IT HARD.. WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT ANY DETAILS AND EXPIRIENCE/ADVICE WILL HELP.
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Welcome to the group!  I've never done it before:)

mefingas
by Morgan on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Someday I would love to do it, but I have heard that it is super expensive to do.  I hope someone has done it will reply.

emilyrosenj
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Ive never done it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ROxCSi
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Quoting mefingas:

Someday I would love to do it, but I have heard that it is super expensive to do.  I hope someone has done it will reply.

yEA IT SAID SOMETHING ABOUT EACH PERSON NEEDS TO RAISE $ 2,500, BUT I ORDERD THE BROCHURE. HOPEFULLY IT EXPLAINS MORE.
sdbrowneyez
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:02 AM
I've done it and it was amazing but so hard! I'll share more later when I'm not mobile. Feel free to ask anything. I'd love to do it again.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sdbrowneyez
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm happy to share my experience! I did it in 2004 I think, in Minneapolis. It was hard, but it was amazing and I would do it again in a heartbeat. For me the hardest was definitely raising the money but I did it. 

Actually the first day was 22 miles, then 20 and 18. It's exhausting, but it was so well organized with lots of bathroom breaks and snack breaks - every 2-3 miles, at the most. So there were lots of chances to rest and rejuvenate. They had so many snacks that it helped a lot - pb sandwiches, fruit, energy bars, etc. At night they had Boy Scout volunteers set up the tents and get our things ready, so we could arrive, shower (there were portable showers), eat and rest. They had live music, tents with inflatable furniture so you could paint your nails, read magazines, etc. Lots of peoples' families and friends came out at night to visit. There were a lot of first aid tents set up, too.

I trained by walking every chance I got. I also followed a plan I found on their website, to gradually build up some distance. I joined a group in my neighborhood of other women walking, and met a friend and then we just started walking on our own. I was single then, so I had a lot more time to walk after work, weekends, etc. I also recruited my friends to go on training walks, instead of going out to eat, movies, etc. The foundation organized long training walks on the weekends - 10-15 miles, and that helped. I went by myself, but met other people to talk to.

I started out just by myself, because I wanted to do it. Like I said, I met some people who are still friends today. Then another friend ended up joining me - we didn't train together but we shared a tent and walked most of the way together. At times we walked together, at times we walked alone or with other people.

There are things you'll have to buy like good shoes, some clothing etc. But if you can raise all of the money then you shouldn't have to pay anything. I was lucky that I did raise it all. My friend I met in the training group didn't raise it and ended up not doing it. We had a garage sale to raise money, and the website gives lots of creative ideas. I just sent emails to everyone I know, and aside from the garage sale, all of the money I raised was donated by friends and family.

There were I think 2,000 people walked at the time I did it. All long the way people were out supporting us  - setting up lemonade stands in their yards,holding signs, etc. It was just awesome.

If you think you can raise the money I would recommend it in a heartb'eat. It is hard so something you'll never regret and it's a huge accomplishment. 

Let me know what else I can answer for you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)