Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

shakeology?...

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:53 AM
  • 37 Replies
1 mom liked this
I started my workout regimen 10 days ago (I'm doing shakeology, zumba, p90x and 10 minute Trainer.. I've already lost 13 lbs!
but I have to ask for those of you who have used shakeology: was it nasty to you?? omg.. everyday, I'm having to force myself to drink it. I think it tastes disgusting :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:06 PM
6 moms liked this

I stay away from meal replacements.  I'd rather use a method I can use to KEEP the weight off.  I used Slim Fast years ago, starved, lost the weight, was a grump, hated it, then eventually gained it all back plus more.

If you don't like it, DON'T DO IT.  You need to find something you can stick with, and that you will use to KEEP the weight off, unless you plan to gain it back then have to start all over.  Learning healthy habits is a part of this journey, and meal replacements can't do that for you.

We can help give you ideas if you want input, but I won't offer unsolicited advice if you don't want it.  =)

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

pixxiemommy2506
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:11 PM
I tried both the tropical and chocolate flavored. I think they are gross, but the chocolate is ok with almond milk and/or pb and bananas.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
roxysmommy
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I'm with Suzanne. It's not worth it to force feed yourself anything, especially something that isn't really food.

mom_3.0
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

You always say everything tha t I think!

Quoting musicpisces:

I stay away from meal replacements.  I'd rather use a method I can use to KEEP the weight off.  I used Slim Fast years ago, starved, lost the weight, was a grump, hated it, then eventually gained it all back plus more.

If you don't like it, DON'T DO IT.  You need to find something you can stick with, and that you will use to KEEP the weight off, unless you plan to gain it back then have to start all over.  Learning healthy habits is a part of this journey, and meal replacements can't do that for you.

We can help give you ideas if you want input, but I won't offer unsolicited advice if you don't want it.  =)

Bree0922
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:32 PM
I've already changed my diet as well (I've cut out sugars--I'm only using stevia as a sweetener, eating a lot of protein-mostly chicken breasts, lots of vegetables, no dairy, very limited carbs-when I do allow myself some, it's whole wheat and I'm drinking 140oz of water a day).
I just got shakeology because I figured I'd be a good jump start... I had no idea how awful it'd taste...lol!..
I'm open to any suggestions and input you have! :)

Quoting musicpisces:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bree0922
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Yeah, I got the chocolate... I've tried mixing things in with it to make it taste better (I always made it with almond milk), but it was still gross. today, I made it with coconut milk and I was actually able to finish it, but it still wasn't enjoyable...lol

Quoting pixxiemommy2506:

I tried both the tropical and chocolate flavored. I think they are gross, but the chocolate is ok with almond milk and/or pb and bananas.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bree0922
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:36 PM
you're right, I shouldn't. I just hate having to get refunds.. lol.. especially since I ordered through a friend. I'm too afraid to say "your product is gross..." lol

Quoting roxysmommy:

I'm with Suzanne. It's not worth it to force feed yourself anything, especially something that isn't really food.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:00 PM

You sound like you've made smart changes!  I'd ditch the shakes, and focus on just the foods.  Over time, you'll find lots of easy meals that work for you, and which foods to buy.  I know a lot of people struggle with new foods in the beginning, because it takes lots of label reading and getting to know which foods "qualify" for how you want to eat, but it gets easier.  Just make sure you're eating enough, too, because if you eat too little, you'll see a stall in your weight loss and start breaking down muscle (the last thing you want!) instead of fat.

You sound like you're kind of following a Paleo/clean type of thing.  Paleo stays away from dairy and grains, and eating clean is avoiding sugars, processed grains and other processed foods, and eating smaller, more frequent meals.  I've lost my weight eating clean, so I am more familiar with that than with Paleo, but I know several members of the group eat at different levels of Paleo.  You can click here to read about eating clean (it's a journal I wrote with the basics).  I have a few other journals that you might like, just click on the links here:

Weight loss tips

What's working for me

Resources

Take what works for you and any ideas that speak to you, and figure out the right path for you.  But meal replacements don't work over the long term for most people.  There are exceptions, of course, and if you LIKED it, then that's one thing, but using a method you're not liking isn't often a good way to go!  =)

Have you ever thought about tracking your food?  Many of us do that as well.  I do it occasionally, more to check in with myself, rather than as an everyday thing, but it can help keep you on track.

Quoting Bree0922:

I've already changed my diet as well (I've cut out sugars--I'm only using stevia as a sweetener, eating a lot of protein-mostly chicken breasts, lots of vegetables, no dairy, very limited carbs-when I do allow myself some, it's whole wheat and I'm drinking 140oz of water a day).
I just got shakeology because I figured I'd be a good jump start... I had no idea how awful it'd taste...lol!..
I'm open to any suggestions and input you have! :)

Quoting musicpisces:

Suzanne

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:02 PM

They have return policies for a reason, though, and surely your friend will understand.

Quoting Bree0922:

you're right, I shouldn't. I just hate having to get refunds.. lol.. especially since I ordered through a friend. I'm too afraid to say "your product is gross..." lol

Quoting roxysmommy:

Suzanne

Javi05Eli07
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I do use Shakeology, but not as a meal replacement (usually).  Most of the time I mix a half scoop in with my oatmeal and use it just as a vitamin supplement.  If I do have a shake because it is what I really feel like, then I mix it with natural peanut butter, fruit, skim milk, and sometimes a little honey.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)