Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

kid overweight?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:20 PM
  • 36 Replies

I brought my son to the dr's for a well-child. He is above the 90th percentile for height and weight, the doc said his BMI is around 18. She told me to try to get in more exercise and watch the junk food.

What is a healthy BMI for a child? He's 6 years old, 50.5" and 65 pounds (that's with a sweatshirt on)

I'm aiming for at least 400 miles in 2013 and to lose 45 pounds, watch me reach my goal

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsRinehart2010
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:22 PM

hm i dont know my oldest just turned 5 in dec an she is 4 foot an 40 pounds and they seem to think she is fine , is it maybe the way he is carrying his wieght that worrys them?

Idntreallycare
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:25 PM

he's got a little belly, but he's also got little muscles (like when she tried to pull his arms and stuff and she didnt budge him)

MamaKarrot
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I tend to ignore those tests and look at a child's build because every kid is so different.  If he's carrying any extra weight anywhere, he could probably use more exercise - muscles or not.  My son tends to have the opposite problem (it's from meds he's on - we're at the doc like every 30 days) and so when I look at him and I see ribs I start feeding him more calorie dense foods to get him looking healthier.  He's about 4.5ft and 50 pounds and 7 years old.  

lovebugs_mom906
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Your son is about he same size a my daughter. She is 6, 65lbs and 51 1/4 inches tall. I worry about her weight, as she is getting a belly on her. I've cut out a lot of the junk food, and we are more active. I'm not so worried about her losing, as long as she maintains her weight. She has always been at the top of the charts for her height and now weight. I just don't want her to struggle with weight. I wanted to add, I never tell her she needs to lose weight, I tell her she needs to make healthy choices. I want to teach her the right things so its second nature the older she gets.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gypsy_rose
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Try the kinnect. It helps my kids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Idntreallycare
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

The xbox one? We have the wii, and he'll work out with me when I do it at home... My neighbor was like "they say the same stuff about my daughter, but not every kid is meant to be skinny"

There's no actual health issue at this point. I don't plan to let him just eat snacks and watch TV all day, but I'm not signing him up for a persnoal trainer either

Quoting gypsy_rose:

I'm aiming for at least 400 miles in 2013 and to lose 45 pounds, watch me reach my goal

Silvertears1275
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:43 PM

There is a children's BMI tracker on Web MD.

My youngest's BMI is high.  She did lose some weight after having her tonsils removed last month, but she's still on the higher end of the scale.

gypsy_rose
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Yes the xbox one. I found ut works the whole body better. I was a heavy kid myself. I was fit though. I did soccer and martisl arts at the same time. Now i am veerryy obease :(

Quoting Idntreallycare:

The xbox one? We have the wii, and he'll work out with me when I do it at home... My neighbor was like "they say the same stuff about my daughter, but not every kid is meant to be skinny"

There's no actual health issue at this point. I don't plan to let him just eat snacks and watch TV all day, but I'm not signing him up for a persnoal trainer either

Quoting gypsy_rose:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Idntreallycare
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:47 PM

yeah, that scale says he's in the 92% for BMI, that he's overweight.... IMO he doesn't look overweight. He has a little belly, but he's not really chubby or anything

eviesmom453
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:48 PM

My DS turns 10 next month and weighs 55 pounds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)