Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

I have a food problem I have been trying to battle...how did you overcome challanges?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:35 PM
  • 10 Replies

First off, I have been disappointed with myself since I started Nursing School in August.  My nutrician and work out routines have gone out the window because we are very strapped for money and because I have almost no time to work out.  I know, poor excuses but I'm not sure how to balance my time or my money as far as continuing to be healthy.

Lately I have been giving into foods that aren't healthy and once I start eating, I can't stop and don't notice I ate the whole bag of cheese curls or 3 bags of those lunh pack chips....and afterwards, I am almost in tears because I did that.  Those that I have talked to about it say that it's because of my stress level from nursing school and it's a known fact that those in nursing school gain weight...more than they think. 

I am tired of it!!!!  I am tired of feeling tired all the time and having a hard time concentrating in class  etc.  I was doing much better when I first started and I truly believe it was because I was healthier than! 

Anyone had to overcome something like this?  I am COMPLETELY stressed out with my time and money since I started school...along with the normals like test after test and clinicals and whatnot...

How did you overcome challanges that have gotten in your way or have tried to get in your way of being healthy??

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Silvertears1275
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a terrible binge eater.  Of course, managing stress helps a lot.  And identifying what you're most likely to binge on and just not have it in the house.  I know with a family, that can be hard sometimes. 

whatmynameagain
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:42 PM
I am dealing with something similar in my eating habits. Im finding if I eat a healthy breakfast and a few hours layer a snack with a protein in it im less hungry and less likely to munch in chips and things. I've also started chewing sugarless gum and measuring things out. Like if o really want chips ill pour some out into a small bowl. Also I put fruit and veggies cut up on containers o can see into and healthier snacks eye level so I dee them first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
princess_peach
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:26 PM
I am having similar problems. Every day I wake up planning to eat healthy and every day I give in to junfood temptations. I am currently living with my in-laws so I don't have control over what is and isn't in the house. My mil is always making sweets and gets upset if I refuse. I am smaller than her and my sil so they think I'm being dumb when I say I am trying to lose weight. I need to find some self control and just not eat the junk, but I don't know how to get to that point.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I would suggest not eating while studying, watching tv, or doing any other mindless activity. When you feel like you want to eat, grab something and head to your dining room table and eat it there. Consciously eating might help you control portions since you said you lose track and before you know it you eat way too much. You also realize when you're full sooner if you're paying attention. As for the stress factors, they're always going to be there in some form or another so learning how to manage them is key. Exercise itself can be a firm of release of stress. It helps me tremendously! If you feel stressed, go take a walk, or grab some weights, anything to release some of that stress. Good luck! I know how tough it can be.
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I am in nursing school myself, so I know the stress! Because my son goes to school at my school, and the way my schedule is between lecture and clinicals, I'm gone 12 hours a day, 5 days a week. I carry all of my food with me, including when I study. I use a large cooler and that's what I can eat. I plan accordingly. I don't buy those snack foods or keep them around. If I eat something to keep myself awake while I read, it's air-popped popcorn, grapes, cherry tomatoes, carrots and hummus, or something like that, and again, I have already portioned it out- a whole container of hummus will soon be empty otherwise! Doing this saves me calories and money. I tend to study at Starbucks (I CANNOT study at home), and I get a black unsweetened iced tea, and free refills (with my registered card). So it costs me about $2 to study all day, and they don't care if you bring in food. And the tea, unsweetened, is calorie-free!
For exercise, I have learned to be very flexible. I go for early morning runs before clinicals (yes, that means getting up at 4AM), use the gym on campus, split up workouts, do whatever I can. I do DVDs at home when all else fails. I make my workouts a priority, and they really are my sanity.
I'm not perfect with this stuff, but it's certainly made a difference, and kept my weight gain to a minimum (5 lbs or so).
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Hugs mama!  I know this is hard.  I'm not in school but I have a special needs child that needs 24/7 care.  It is very hard to make time for myself and there are times I just want to sit in front of the TV and eat...we all feel that way at times.  Sometimes I get in a phase and do that...then I snap out of it and realize that I'm not taking care of myself like I should.  You can do this mama!  Hugs!

itsm3
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this

got this off a friend's blog who got it from another source....love it

1. I am only food. Though shalt not give me more time and attention than you give to your faith.
  2. Thou shalt not count calories when you should be counting your blessings.
  3. Thou shalt not spend money on diet programs that could be spend to feed the starving.
  4. Remember to honor thy body with good food, exercise and rest.
  5. Thou shalt not judge another’s virtue by size.
  6. Thou shalt not believe that girth is a measure of worth.
  7. Thou shalt not envy the bodies of your neighbours.
  8. Thou shalt not binge or purge or feel guilty for enjoying the blessings of good food.
  9. Thou shalt not believe the false promises of diet books, fads and drugs.
  10. Thou shalt not honor your mirror more than your soul.
lovinlife0607
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Very good advice. I wish there was a bookstore or coffee shop around here for my to study in. I loved doing that before I moved here. The only coffeeshop in this town closes at 3pm. :( I also don't have a babysitter to go study somewhere after school bc of my DH's schedule.

Quoting musicpisces:

I am in nursing school myself, so I know the stress! Because my son goes to school at my school, and the way my schedule is between lecture and clinicals, I'm gone 12 hours a day, 5 days a week. I carry all of my food with me, including when I study. I use a large cooler and that's what I can eat. I plan accordingly. I don't buy those snack foods or keep them around. If I eat something to keep myself awake while I read, it's air-popped popcorn, grapes, cherry tomatoes, carrots and hummus, or something like that, and again, I have already portioned it out- a whole container of hummus will soon be empty otherwise! Doing this saves me calories and money. I tend to study at Starbucks (I CANNOT study at home), and I get a black unsweetened iced tea, and free refills (with my registered card). So it costs me about $2 to study all day, and they don't care if you bring in food. And the tea, unsweetened, is calorie-free!

For exercise, I have learned to be very flexible. I go for early morning runs before clinicals (yes, that means getting up at 4AM), use the gym on campus, split up workouts, do whatever I can. I do DVDs at home when all else fails. I make my workouts a priority, and they really are my sanity.

I'm not perfect with this stuff, but it's certainly made a difference, and kept my weight gain to a minimum (5 lbs or so).
Xfitmom
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:55 PM

The biggest thing is make a plan and stick to it. Exercise can be done without having to shell out money. Attack the fat from all areas. Don't buy food that is not good for you, use My Fitness Pal (it's free), use this site for advice and help or even support. Read food labels, learn what is good to eat and what is not. It's not easy but once you get into the good habits you will find it becomes second nature.

brierrose2484
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this

It's stress, I do the same thing and if the nom noms are available BAM! I tare into them with out thinking. I've been making small changes. Drink more water is one, but the big one has been make more time for sleep. I find sleep fixs me on may levels. GL, your going to succeed, in school and in life. The push makes you stronger.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)