Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

After a good work out.......

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:55 PM
  • 20 Replies

What is the best thing to eat or drink? Water is obvious but is there something else?  I did a good work out after breakfast today.......completed walking and jogging, more walking than jogging, LOL, but it is a start, the distance of a 5K. First time EVER.  WellI had to run and errand, did that got some water and came home. Made my self a salad with veggies and protein but couldn't eat much of it, maybe half a cup. I know I need to eat more, but is there better food for recovery after what is  grueling work out for you body.

It was grueling for me.  It took me an hour to do it, but I DID IT. FIRST TIME EVER. I am proud of myself. Wanted to quit half way through but pushed my body.  I am slightly sore but not bad.  I am going to keep at it but wondered what food was better for recovery. I can't have bannanas, which is good for potassium, I know.

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iknitsweatersyo
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this
My hubby always tells me amino acids are good to drink after working out. We have this kind that taste like watermelon...its sooo good. Maybe you could look into that...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaKarrot
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I actually keep a tupperware of almonds in my car.  I snack on them while I drive if I'm out doing errands after a workout (which happens a lot).

Thelmama
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I never thought of that. That is a good idea.

Quoting MamaKarrot:

I actually keep a tupperware of almonds in my car.  I snack on them while I drive if I'm out doing errands after a workout (which happens a lot).

Tonya_Lynn84
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

After(right after) my workouts I have 8oz of Tru Moo Chocolate Milk! Recommended by my Cross fit coach. Then later I have a big salad with evoo and balsamic vinegar and some sort of protein.

Thelmama
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I love chocolate milk.......cool. LOL

Quoting Tonya_Lynn84:

After(right after) my workouts I have 8oz of Tru Moo Chocolate Milk! Recommended by my Cross fit coach. Then later I have a big salad with evoo and balsamic vinegar and some sort of protein.

KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Chocolate milk. Hubby has always done it and so have I.
Thelmama
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Wow..who knew.  I will go have some now as I think I need it. Thanks. YUMMY

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:33 PM
It all depends on your workout and your goals. You really don't need much, skim chocolate milk is a good idea if you feel you need something. If you are losing weight ask yourself if you truly need it. Its a mistake to think all workouts require a snack afterwards.
Hunnybadgerkins
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:37 PM
BCAAs are helpful for preserving muscle tissue during fat loss. That's not all they do just what applies to this post.

Quoting iknitsweatersyo:

My hubby always tells me amino acids are good to drink after working out. We have this kind that taste like watermelon...its sooo good. Maybe you could look into that...
Thelmama
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:38 PM

No I meant if you felt like you needed it, not every work out. I don't feel it like I did today, after every work out. Today I pushed myself a bit more, I am speaking of grueling work out where you burn a lot.  I don't think all work outs need a snack.  I was feeling kind of weak after and drank some water and that didn't help.  Came home to eat some lunch and the salad was not helpfu it had good veggies and lean protein in it..  So I was thinking I needed something a little sooner than after my errands, more than just plain water. I guess I needed to clarify. Today was grueling for me because I pushed myself just past my limits.  Which you can't do every day , necessarily.  

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

It all depends on your workout and your goals. You really don't need much, skim chocolate milk is a good idea if you feel you need something. If you are losing weight ask yourself if you truly need it. Its a mistake to think all workouts require a snack afterwards.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN