Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Thinking maybe I should be doing more, not sure

Posted by   + Show Post

I do crossfit 3 to 4 times a week and that is it! I a building lower body strength no problem, but my upper body strength sucks! I am not sure if I should be doing anything else besides crossfit, but I am starting to feel like I might need to add to, but not sure what to add!

Today for me I feel was a bad day at crossfit, but I am harder on myself them anyone is! I think my arms were just sore, but I could still just be weak! Blah...

Any thoughts? Should I add? What should I add?

Thanks

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Replies (11-16):
MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Tons, Kettlebell exercising a lot, pull ups, push ups, box dips, shoulder presses, last night we did overhead presses and power hang cleans...snatches, bench presses, burpees, overhead weighted lunges...that's off the tops of my head.

Quoting Tonya_Lynn84:

What kinda things are ydou doing?

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Me too! I was also going to say that I'm shocked you aren't getting upper body strength. We do tons of upper body strength at my crossfit gym.

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

How long have you been going? Im surprised to hear that. CrossFit has me doing pull ups now! Talk to your coaches.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Tonya_Lynn84
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Here you can see what we have been doing!

You can see what each person has done for that wods as well.

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Tons, Kettlebell exercising a lot, pull ups, push ups, box dips, shoulder presses, last night we did overhead presses and power hang cleans...snatches, bench presses, burpees, overhead weighted lunges...that's off the tops of my head.

Quoting Tonya_Lynn84:

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Me too! I was also going to say that I'm shocked you aren't getting upper body strength. We do tons of upper body strength at my crossfit gym.

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

How long have you been going? Im surprised to hear that. CrossFit has me doing pull ups now! Talk to your coaches.

MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:24 PM
You're doing lots of upper body! Looks like some awesome WOD's to me :)

Like I said in my previous response, just start with a weight you feel comfortable at that you can finish the workout with but also that challenges you. If that's 15lbs now then that's what you should use. Then in a few weeks increase it to 20 lbs, and just keep moving up slowly. Don't worry about speed as much as just completely the reps correctly. If we're doing a high number of reps and its an overhead workout like a push press or something, after the first 10-15 reps I can usually only do 5 at a time and then rest in between. Yeah, I may not be as fast as other people, but I'm working my muscles out a lot more because I'm really pushing my limits, ya know? The longer you do crossfit the more comfortable you'll become with the moves and the weights. Just keep at it :)

Quoting Tonya_Lynn84:

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Quoting Tonya_Lynn84:

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

Tonya_Lynn84
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Thanks ! I guess my upper is just weaker at this point and maybe tired from yesterday!

I always try my hardest when doing my WODs! I will just keep at it!!

Thanks again!

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Like I said in my previous response, just start with a weight you feel comfortable at that you can finish the workout with but also that challenges you. If that's 15lbs now then that's what you should use. Then in a few weeks increase it to 20 lbs, and just keep moving up slowly. Don't worry about speed as much as just completely the reps correctly. If we're doing a high number of reps and its an overhead workout like a push press or something, after the first 10-15 reps I can usually only do 5 at a time and then rest in between. Yeah, I may not be as fast as other people, but I'm working my muscles out a lot more because I'm really pushing my limits, ya know? The longer you do crossfit the more comfortable you'll become with the moves and the weights. Just keep at it :)

Quoting Tonya_Lynn84:

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Quoting Tonya_Lynn84:

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Trying your best is what's important! If you're giving it your all then that's all you can do and that's all your coaches expect from you :)

I think we women in general have more difficulty with upper body. I know my lower body is much stronger than my upper body. I'm also a long distance runner and a cyclist so my legs are definitely my strong point. So in crossfit my major accomplishments have always been with my upper body. It just takes time. Try not to compare yourself with anyone else, just focus on improving you :)

Quoting Tonya_Lynn84:

Thanks ! I guess my upper is just weaker at this point and maybe tired from yesterday!

I always try my hardest when doing my WODs! I will just keep at it!!

Thanks again!

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Quoting Tonya_Lynn84:

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Quoting Tonya_Lynn84:

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with Jess. Slowly move up in weight while performing all the reps correctly. I know I have a strong lower body, always have but my upper body lacked. I had to not comparr the two.
You sound like you are doing great.

There is a really great article about scaling and why its so good for you (like you figure out mathematically how to pick weight that will best slaughter you). Basically using lower weight (but still challenging) you get in more quality reps, thus a better WOD.

You will wake up and be surprised one day soon I bet. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)