Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Extreme fat shaming

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:46 PM
  • 9 Replies

My Mother in law has weight issues but not with her but my son. My son is really skinny but when he was a baby he was that cute chunky baby that looked like a cupie doll. He was fed healthy amounts and ate when he wanted. But I was never worried due to the fact I was a chunky baby. My family just tends to have chunky babies but we are typically skinny people in our youth. 

My son does this funny thing that he starts getting a tad bit chunky before a growth spurt and then thins out. My brother and myself have done this. He is really active and can eat and eat and never gain more than a healthy weight for his age. Even his doctor tried to tell me that he needed to lose weight and I lifted his shirt and asked her "WHERE?!" My son is muscular not fat. I know it is starting to bother my son because he told me the other day he needed to be on a diet. That boy does NOT need a diet! I watch what he eats and we are not a junk food family. He loves his veggies and he eats every two hours with healthy portions. It just pisses me off that people are pushing this stupid agenda on a healthy boy! He is seven years old and he is thinking about a diet? I am about to flip my lid! People really need to stop pushing their issues on today's youth. Especially young healthy kids. Perfection isn't real and they shouldn't be forced into that. That is a HUGE reason I was anorexic because my mother would push that on me as well and I was never fat either. Through out high school I was a double zero and my mother would tell me I could afford to lose an extra pound. When I started eating healthy again and was a healthy 120 lbs I went to eat at my Mother's house because my sister made her famous potato soup. My Mother took that bowl out of my hands after the second serving and told me I was too fat to eat that much! Then she told me in front of my husband that no one would stay with a fat pig like me.

My sister reamed my Mother a new one! After that my Mother sought therapy for her issues and our relationship is better. But it did some damage to me that I am still trying to fix. I do not want people pushing my son the same way. To me he is perfect and to everyone who meets him they know he is perfect the way he is. My Mother who had the body disorder also told me he was a healthy weight (therapy is working great for her). So why do people have to keep pushing this?

This was taken at Christmas with his new scooter. That is my Mom. The shirt is a baggy plaid shirt. 

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mom_of_one_2010
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:49 PM
He is fine, now a days being over weight is becoming an epidemic
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Looneyfarmmom
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I know but then I wonder why people are bullying the already healthy children to be even more skinny? I couldn't believe his doctor told me and him that he needed to watch his weight. He is really tall for his age and also muscular and at that point it just made me mad that people are pushing this on kids. They did it to me and I am going to be royally pissed off if they do it to him as well. 

Looneyfarmmom
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I think what is bothering me about it is that we are taking it too far. I know that some children are over weight and that their parents are either not taking care of them correctly or these children are battling something else that is making them over weight. I get that they need help. But the fat shaming is uncalled for and pushed further on every child that perfection has to be met to be liked. 

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:00 PM
:( bummer. I get the opposite. Im apparently starving to death
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hunnybadgerkins
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:01 PM
So are my kids. Sorry forget to add that!
jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Wow there is no way he needs to diet. If he is eating healthy and exercising (playing) then don't worry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Looneyfarmmom
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:02 PM

My southern family accused me of starving him. 

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

Silvertears1275
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this

It's very scary.  I remember my grandmother making remarks all the time about my weight growing up, and my mother does to some extent - which I think has a lot to do with growing up being criticized by her own mother so much for it.   But I have to say that my biggest worry is my oldest, who is 8 and underweight.  I remember when she was 6 that she got sick and lost weight and was just THRILLED.  They see so many commercials and hear so much about losing weight that they think everyone should be doing it.  I am terrified she'll end up with an eating disorder.  I'm really careful to emphasize that I'm trying to be healthy and be fit, not that I'm just trying to lose weight.  It's such a thin line to walk...

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:06 PM
2 moms liked this
:( you can't win, fat, thin or fit. Everyone has an opinion.

Quoting Looneyfarmmom:

My southern family accused me of starving him. 

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN