Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Please help!

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:43 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hello Everyone,

I am at my wits end. I have been carrying weight since the birth of my 3 year old daughter. I bounced around for 3 years and stay anywhere from 145-155. I am tired of it. I have tried Atkins, Calorie Counting, Just trying to make better choices, etc... I cannot seem to stick to anything. I am discouraged and so down. I cried and cried today because my life is just stressing me out and I am so unhappy. My mom has stage 4 cancer and her odds are not good. It is so hard. My branch (bank i work for) is closing in 3 months, and I feel like a busted can of buscuits. I am thinking of joining Weight Watchers as a last attempt to get in shape and lose weight. Any of you ladies use the program with success? Is it realistic to stick too? I have about 25lbs to lose.

Thank you for reading.

Brittney

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
DissieDothe
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I'm no expert mind you but there are urgent priorities that you need to deal with in order to get your own life back on track. If you don't live with your mom and she's not dependent on you for her daily care, you should focus on "being there" when she needs you. I'm sorry that she is so sick. Is your bank laying you off or transferring you to another location? I've heard good things about WW. Are you planning to join in person or online?

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:08 AM
Oh wow, hun, big hugs to you! Sounds like you have a lot on your plate!
As far as WW goes, I haven't done it, but I have heard a lot of great things about it. They're great about teaching you life skills, and how to maintain, which few diets seem to accomplish in a realistic way. The in-person route seems to get better results than online only, just from what I've seen in this group. I don't condone most weight loss programs, but that's one of the ones I will stand behind.
Cleaning up your food intake and finding some sort of exercise you enjoy can really help with your stress. Running and weight training are great stress relief for me. I also love hiking, biking, swimming, and doing DVDs.
I hope things with your mom improve, and work stuff smooths over for you! Good luck, mama!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LexeesMama
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I just started WW so I don't have a great success story yet! But I am like you I can never seem to just stick with "the plan" on anything else. Even the day I joined WW I was like ugghh I'm going to have to keep track of points and this and that but honestly I enjoy it. I'm going on my second week and I've lost 5 lbs so far. I have cut out some foods but not necessarily completely. If i want it I have it as long as I still have points to fall back on. I'm haven't even begun working out yet so when I do I expect I will start to see greater results. It's really not hard to stick to. I'm doing the online version because I have plenty of support from family to coworkers and well this site too. I don't have time to go to meetings but I don't discourage them if you like that. 

A few years ago I had lost about 45 lbs. My workout included Zumba 3x a week and Yoga/Pilates 2x a week and I left the weekends free because I love my lazy time on the weekends. WW also gives you activity points you can swap for food but I haven't had to use any as of yet. You get activity points for pretty much EVERYTHING that works up a sweat. Even just cleaning your house for an hour. Every 10 minutes of activity you pretty much get a point. WW also has the mobile versions so no matter where you are you have point values at your fingertips. 

Hope things start to look up for you and your family! 

MrsJoe125
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I've been unable to get below 130 for like 12 years (with a minor exception a couple of years ago, but that was short-lived).  Right now, I'm trying to eat as much raw fruits and veggies and using nuts and seeds to avoid processed foods and animal products.  I'm having limited success with the scale (I can't exercise as much as I should and it's baking season in our house <we only bake during the winter and use the warmer weather as an excuse not to, otherwise we'd be HUGE>), but dh just said my skin is looking younger already (two weeks into it) and I'm feeling GREAT!!!

Haven't used WeightWatchers.  Sorry.

Dr. Oz has a lot of good advice on getting healthy. :-)

Sweetlemonlove
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Thank you for your respsonses. I am going to join WW tonight or tomorrow. I hope this works. I am so done being at this weight. My work will transfer me. I work with such a great group of women and I am sad we will be split to other branches. Its just stressful. My mom has her ups and downs. She has appendicial cancer which is very rare. All I can do is pray. I just feel so helpless sometimes.

harveysmom713
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I bought the book "The Plan" by Lyn-Genet Recitas(not sure about last name spelling, don't have book here with me) and it required me to buy a lot of food I'm not used to buying or eating. It says that calories in and out isn't the real issue with weight loss problems, instead it's whether or not our bodies are reactive to certain foods. There is a 3 day detox to start, after you spend a few days taking your bbt (basal body temperature) every morning to see if you have an underactive thyroid. On the detox you're eating certain foods and then you start putting things back into your diet each day to test your reactivity to them. The whole plan lasts for 21 days. I failed by the end of the first day at the plan because my body detoxed so fast that I got sick with a haedache and so so tired. But I still lost 3.2 pounds that first day. I tried again the next day but the recipes that are in that first 3 days were nothing like what I was used to cooking and I don't think I used the spices right and it was gross. The second day I couldn't make myself stick with it past lunch. I am using the book to help me find my reactive foods to the best of my ability and so far I think it's working pretty good for me. I have maintained the loss for several days and lost a pound then gained most of it back today.  I think I know what caused it. I f I can't figure it out I will go back on "The Plan' and give it my all again. I do believe it will work. I do feel your pain. I have the same weight loss issues but I have about 45 pounds to lose and I need to do it by July or August when my youngest will be a year old because of the gestational diabetes I had with that pregnancy. Sorry this is so long! Good luck and God Bless!

P.S. You can look at Dr. Oz's f.v. website and see the episode where she was on. 

SolanaA
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Good luck on WW! I know a few people who have had success with WW. I haven't used it. But I have been using Team Beachbody's online support system which is FREE and you'll recieve a coach to help you get started. It's great!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)