Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gardening mamas

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:38 PM
  • 10 Replies
I am really excited because for the first time I have the space to grow a vegetable garden. I already have the seeds and such but I have NO idea what I'm doing what so ever.

I have found a website that will tell you when to plant what vegetable and how for your specific zip code which is cool.. but I am gonna need more tips and tricks.

Anyone good at this and wanna share?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
liveforever
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:41 PM
The key to getting a good yield is in the soil! Try composting or buy hummus (the soil not food) I get it at our farmers markets.

tiffany011309
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:48 PM
I was thinking of composting but I don't know how to do that either... I mean I know you throw your left over food and scraps and stuff in it and I read about using paper in it etc...
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Soil composition is key.  In order for your garden produce to be nutritious, it has to have nutrients in the soil to work with.  Sure, just about any ol' dirt will grow a garden, but a GOOD garden soil has plenty of compost and humus....dead organic matter (not "organic" in the "organic" label sense....but made from organisms.)  It should also be loamy:  not heavy clay or porous sand.  Soil should also have a pH level of 6.0 to 6.5 to grow any seeds.  This is important.  It's best to have a soil test done (local feed & seed stores, maybe a garden center, local Cooperative Extension office) so you know just what your soil needs in the way of fertilizers.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Quoting tiffany011309:

I was thinking of composting but I don't know how to do that either... I mean I know you throw your left over food and scraps and stuff in it and I read about using paper in it etc...

PLANT food scraps, shredded newsprint (no glossies), lawn clippings, straw (not hay, hay has grass seeds), old leaves, wood ash, sawdust, and if you can find some of that black gooey stuff from UNDER old leaves, that is some of the BEST to add to your compost.  You can add livestock manure, but nothing from dogs or cats.  Just layer it, let it age a week, turn it over, let it age a week, etc.  If your kids find worms, add them to your compost pile...they'll help "work it."

Silvertears1275
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

We always have a garden, but it never really does much more than give me a few giant zucchini.  I'm going to plan an epic garden this year, though. 

Hunnybadgerkins
by Kat on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:58 PM
We have a garden every year. Its fun but
I suck at it.
roxysmommy
by Sarah on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I do a garden every year, I need to get better at it....

Idntreallycare
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I try, but they never last..... we got a few tomato plants and as soon as one was ripe, the squirrels already got it. Hopefully our blueberry plants grow well, my son loves getting the blueberries...

MamaKarrot
by Karen on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I also suck at gardening.  I do it, but I grow stuff I know doesn't need a lot of love.  In AZ, that is cold weather plants - roots and leafy stuff like chard, beets, spinach.  This year I just did chard and let it go.  I trim, eat, water, and it grows back.  Summers, forget it.  I just let everything die since it's not worth fighting 120 degrees and start over the next year, lol.

I also have a composter on the side of my house.  A lot of waste management places will wash and drill holes in old garbage bins that you can buy for cheap (here it's $5) to compost in.  You try to have a good blend of fruit/veggie/eggshell kinds of scraps and dry stuff like dead leaves and twigs.  Every year before I plant stuff I stir it into my garden and let it sit for a few days.

kary1124
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:37 PM
i cant wait to get into our own house so i can have a nice big garden, right now we have some tomatoes, blueberries, strawberries, and a grape plant in pots but they didnt do so well last year so were hoping they do better this year
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)