Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health
Sigh. I misread my recipe for challah and accidentally made 4 loaves. Crap. I love challah. That's a huge temptation.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Replies (31-37):
eema.gray
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Six strand braid, with a double egg wash prior to baking, and steam in the oven for the first 10 minutes.  

Sadly, as delicious as this is, it makes my knees itch just thinking about.  I miss gluten.  :-(

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Dang looks way better than mine!

Quoting eema.gray:

Six strand braid, with a double egg wash prior to baking, and steam in the oven for the first 10 minutes.  

Sadly, as delicious as this is, it makes my knees itch just thinking about.  I miss gluten.  :-(

eema.gray
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:34 PM

That's a decade of challah practice and literally a lifetime of bread baking with my mother.  :-)

There's an amazing book called Secrets of a Jewish Baker that I learned a ton of tricks from.  I bought it used but it may be available on Amazon for aspiring home bakers.

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

Quoting eema.gray:

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
Hunnybadgerkins
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Ahhh see my mom just bought it lol

Quoting eema.gray:

That's a decade of challah practice and literally a lifetime of bread baking with my mother.  :-)

There's an amazing book called Secrets of a Jewish Baker that I learned a ton of tricks from.  I bought it used but it may be available on Amazon for aspiring home bakers.

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

Quoting eema.gray:

UMiamiChick5683
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:21 AM

LOOOOVE challah! Those look so delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I've been wanting to learn how to make it. Have you ever made it with whole wheat flour? I know some of the bakeries that make it here do whole wheat. At least it will be slightly healthier? lol 

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:12 AM
Sure :) you can def use whole wheat pastry flour. Don't use regular whole wheat because it will be like a brick.

Quoting UMiamiChick5683:

LOOOOVE challah! Those look so delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I've been wanting to learn how to make it. Have you ever made it with whole wheat flour? I know some of the bakeries that make it here do whole wheat. At least it will be slightly healthier? lol 

UMiamiChick5683
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Good to know! Thank you!! :-)

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

Sure :) you can def use whole wheat pastry flour. Don't use regular whole wheat because it will be like a brick.

Quoting UMiamiChick5683:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN