Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

WW vs MFP

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:50 AM
  • 13 Replies
I have been back on WW for awhile and am stalled. I am wondering if WW is worth the $23 a month of if MFP would get job done. Let me tell you my concerns and maybe you can help me work it out.

1) I was curious, so I double logged MFP and WW one day. While staying on WW points, I had had too much saturated, monosaturated, and trans fats, too many sugars, and only 1091 calories. Not good, in my opinion. I want to be healthier, not just skinnier. Eating a WW ice cream makes me feel guilty because its pure crap.

2) WW gives you the extra weekly points. I see them and think I can use them. I am told its OK or even good to use them.....so I use them and don't lose anything, or even gain. Its like this temptation thats there everytime I log on.

3) I purchased the Active Link activity monitor. Its hard to use. It does not register yoga or even my floor exercises as activity but it will log slowly walking throught the grocery store propped up by a cart....so I get discouraged when I see the totals. Very discouraged.

4) Money is tight...and $23 is $23.

5) I only have 12-15 pounds left to lose and its not happening on WW.

Can I get your thoughts?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Silvertears1275
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never used WW before, but it's easy to eat junk and still be within your points.... and it's easy to eat junk and still be within your calorie limit on MFP.  In my opinion, I'd only pay for WW if I could go to meetings for the support.  I can't, so I'm not going to pay for what I can get elsewhere for free.

cherylmoore
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:59 AM
I think they are about the same so just use mfp its free
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wahmx3
by Shelley on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I love MFP, free and easy to use. I also look long term....in a year or two or 10 years...what will be easier to track...points or calories and nutrition labels that are on everything.

frecklesthehen
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:39 AM

i too have never used WW, but do like MFP. I dont really pay attention to fats and sodium, etc. But i like that i can if i want to. and i dont know about WW, but i like being able to just scan barcodes with my phone. makes it super easy.

i have been in that kind of financial situation before, where even $10 made a world of difference, so i would say stick with the free stuff, at least for now.

clearlyme
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:40 AM
MFP is great. The only reason I pay for WW is bc I have this thing where I only stay commited if I'm paying for something bc I want to get my money's worth. Ridiculous, I know, but my brain is screwed up lol. My DH does very well on MFP.
chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I liked WW (especially meetings, not really a fan of online) for losing the first part of my weight but  when I got to the last 10 it was impossible to get the weight off on WW for me.

Now I am on MFP but still not losing.   I feel like I need a little more accountability than MFP but at least I am not blowing $40/month for nothing...

Onesecsmile
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:44 PM
I love MFP! Please add me, I really need friends on there! I never used WW but I feel like eating more veggies and non dairy items are helping me lose weight. :)

www.myfitnesspal.com/lady_kaye
SolanaA
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Hi all, I'm not sure how WW works. I know theres like a point system. I have used MFP when I first started on my health and fitness journey but since my food intolerances, I haven't been using it because I feel as my meals are the same and boring that there isn't any use in it. But Yes, it is an awesome tool I used it to track calories-protein, fat, and carbs but not the fine details such as trans fat, mono fat, sugar, and fiber. 

CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:08 PM

If you don't like eating crap, then why are you eating it?  Really, if you don't like a WW product, don't buy it an eat it.  If you feel llike you are eating too many fats, stop eating them.

WW is not dictating your food choices...you are.  And even though you are following WW, you aren't making the solid food choices that you want.

So you know what you are doing wrong on WW...Fix it.

Vi-girl
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I'm not a fan of WW because you can eat crap and stay within points. that works for people who want to be skinny but don't care about health. I say go with MFP or Spark People and do it for free.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)