Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4.5 lbs in 4 days?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:25 AM
  • 11 Replies
I got my 65 yr old dad on mfp and he has been logging every day. He is logging his weight loss every day or other day and over the last 4 days has lost over 4 lbs. I'm concerned he is going to fast and my eating enough. Before mfp he had already lost 40 lbs in 3 months. I've explained bmr and gave him a calorie amount to aim for but I think he is ignoring it. Anyone else have family like this? It's frustrating!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
reneawesley
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:53 AM

It does sound like he's losing too fast but I not sure what to do to get him making better decisions. Explaining it is about all you can do. Good luck!

MamaJessx3
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:59 AM
How much does he weigh? How often is he exercising?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:19 AM
He works out at a gym 4-5 days a week and currently weighs 224 I believe. He is 5'8''

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJessx3
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Hmmm well that's a good bit of weight that he would need to lose then but if be interested in his diet. Do u have any idea what and how much he's eating? I'd say at this point all u can do is talk to him about the healthy way of going about this and hope he takes it to heart.

Quoting norahsmommy:

He works out at a gym 4-5 days a week and currently weighs 224 I believe. He is 5'8''

Quoting MamaJessx3:

norahsmommy
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Mfp set him at 1400 calories and he is eating under that.

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Hmmm well that's a good bit of weight that he would need to lose then but if be interested in his diet. Do u have any idea what and how much he's eating? I'd say at this point all u can do is talk to him about the healthy way of going about this and hope he takes it to heart.

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJessx3
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Yeah that's definitely too low for him. Just keep talking to him about it. Eventually he'll stop losing and then maybe it'll sink in and he'll listen

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting MamaJessx3:

norahsmommy
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:30 AM
I'm on mfp too and he can see my food diary. I'm loosing weight ( more slowly) and eating my bmr which is much higher than his calorie limit. Maybe that will help him see he won't gain weight eating his bmr?

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Yeah that's definitely too low for him. Just keep talking to him about it. Eventually he'll stop losing and then maybe it'll sink in and he'll listen

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJessx3
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM
I would hope so. If nothing else at least you're setting an example

Quoting norahsmommy:

I'm on mfp too and he can see my food diary. I'm loosing weight ( more slowly) and eating my bmr which is much higher than his calorie limit. Maybe that will help him see he won't gain weight eating his bmr?

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting MamaJessx3:

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Would he respond to evidence if you did some research and showed him how eating too little affects the body and long term weight loss?  Some people are more responsive than others

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

norahsmommy
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:25 PM
I don't know. All my life I heard how we ( dad, my brother and I ) are just not capable of loosing weight unless we are basically starving. He would go on and in about how everyone else all around us would starve to death in a famine but we wouldn't because of our metabolisms. It always seemed that he was right because i could never loose weight No matter how little i ate and would gain weight cery easily while eating little. It's taken me a long time to realize that he is wrong and we can loose weight but we have to really watch carbs to do it.

Quoting musicpisces:

Would he respond to evidence if you did some research and showed him how eating too little affects the body and long term weight loss?  Some people are more responsive than others

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)