Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

any runners? ive got a few ?s

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:24 PM
  • 18 Replies
I've recently started the couch 2 5k...again. I'm only barely finished with week one.

I did week one consecutively. I ran every day. And feel great I love it. But today, my calves/shins were on fire. They hurt so bad I could barely walk. Dh says its BC im not resting between and as a new runner I need to run every other day. Could this be the cause of my pain?

Also, I was running during the summer and went through two pairs of running shoes. I get holes eight above where my big toe is. I wad fitted for these shoes so I know their the right fit and they were running shoes. I just bought new Nikes for running today though I haven't worn them yet. I'm scares to ruin them too! Any ideas on what could cause the holes?

Thanks for any advice in advance!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lacilyn:

I've recently started the couch 2 5k...again. I'm only barely finished with week one.

I did week one consecutively. I ran every day. And feel great I love it. But today, my calves/shins were on fire. They hurt so bad I could barely walk. Dh says its BC im not resting between and as a new runner I need to run every other day. Could this be the cause of my pain?
YES!!! You should not be running daily. Period. You need to follow the program exactly- running every other day and cross train on non running days. Also, how are you running? Do you heel strike? Are you on a treadmill, track, trail or road? Are you switching between places? ( this can cause a problem as your body is having to adjust to different grades constantly)

Also, I was running during the summer and went through two pairs of running shoes. I get holes eight above where my big toe is. I wad fitted for these shoes so I know their the right fit and they were running shoes. I just bought new Nikes for running today though I haven't worn them yet. I'm scares to ruin them too! Any ideas on what could cause the holes?Where did you get fitted? A store that is running specific or another store? There may not be enough room in the toe box, of it could be your striking... A good shoe is going to last you at least 600 miles or more... even though I run a lot ( 5x per week), my shoes last me about a year. I go to a running store and get fitted for my shoes. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

kiwimom74
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I was seeing  a podiatrist for a foot/running injury and they gave me a "prescription" to take to the running store for specific shoes.... I have wide feet and some stability issues and as it turns out the best ones are mens LOL.  I also run with orthotics.

I am in the middle of training for a half and I rest for two days.....one day I bike or do the eliptical.

MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:39 PM
I agree

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting lacilyn:

YES!!! You should not be running daily. Period. You need to follow the program exactly- running every other day and cross train on non running days. Also, how are you running? Do you heel strike? Are you on a treadmill, track, trail or road? Are you switching between places? ( this can cause a problem as your body is having to adjust to different grades constantly)

Also, I was running during the summer and went through two pairs of running shoes. I get holes eight above where my big toe is. I wad fitted for these shoes so I know their the right fit and they were running shoes. I just bought new Nikes for running today though I haven't worn them yet. I'm scares to ruin them too! Any ideas on what could cause the holes?
Where did you get fitted? A store that is running specific or another store? There may not be enough room in the toe box, of it could be your striking... A good shoe is going to last you at least 600 miles or more... even though I run a lot ( 5x per week), my shoes last me about a year. I go to a running store and get fitted for my shoes. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Duquesne
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:42 PM
You should give your body time...run every other day. And with frequent use, you SHOULD be replacing your shoes often, especially if you're running on concrete.
lacilyn
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:14 PM
I'm running on concrete, outside in my neighborhood. I have no idea how I run as far as heel strike or whatnot. And I got fitted at cardinals sport, I didn't know or don't know where a running store is? I used to run in high school and never had these problems, so im not sure where they are coming from. And I've never had issues with my shoes before so I just assumed I could get them at the local sporting goods store.

Thanks so much for your input! Its very informative information!!

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting lacilyn:

Where did you get fitted? A store that is running specific or another store? There may not be enough room in the toe box, of it could be your striking... A good shoe is going to last you at least 600 miles or more... even though I run a lot ( 5x per week), my shoes last me about a year. I go to a running store and get fitted for my shoes. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lacilyn
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:16 PM
I keep telling my hubs I need to see a podiatrist. I used to wear super sky high heels daily and one day something popped and I can't wear them anymore without a sharp pain from the outside of my foot all the way up to my hip. That foots especially sore after I run.

Quoting kiwimom74:

I was seeing  a podiatrist for a foot/running injury and they gave me a "prescription" to take to the running store for specific shoes.... I have wide feet and some stability issues and as it turns out the best ones are mens LOL.  I also run with orthotics.

I am in the middle of training for a half and I rest for two days.....one day I bike or do the eliptical.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lacilyn
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:20 PM
If im walking/running an avg of 6 miles a day, and I cut it down to 5 days a week, how often would I replace them?

Quoting Duquesne:

You should give your body time...run every other day. And with frequent use, you SHOULD be replacing your shoes often, especially if you're running on concrete.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Duquesne
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:23 PM
I would be replacing them every 3/4 months. But that's me. It depends on how you wear out your shoes.

Quoting lacilyn:

If im walking/running an avg of 6 miles a day, and I cut it down to 5 days a week, how often would I replace them?

Quoting Duquesne:

lacilyn
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:26 PM
Thanks so much!!

Quoting Duquesne:

I would be replacing them every 3/4 months. But that's me. It depends on how you wear out your shoes.

Quoting lacilyn:

Quoting Duquesne:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vi-girl
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Another thing with the shoes, cut your toenails down a lot!! Not only can they ruin your socks and shoes but they will crack and break off if you don't keep them very short.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN