Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

New Year Weight Loss Challenge Day 25: Avoiding Belly Fat

Welcome to Day 25 of the New Year Weight Loss Challenge

Avoiding Belly Fat

One of the most common questions in weight loss, is how to get rid of the belly. The answers is through proper diet and exercise.
The one thing to understand is that not all body fat is the same. Meaning that where you carry fat matters. If you carry weight around your abdomen, the health risks are greater than carrying weight in the hips and thighs area. Belly fat is stored deep under the surface and surrounds the liver and abdominal organs. This stored fat is linked to a higer risk of diabetes and insulin resistance.
The best way to avoid dangerous fat around the belly is to cut out or cut back on food and drinks containing calories from fructose such as energy drinks, sodas, sports drinks and coffee drinks. Processed foods like doughnuts, cereal, candy and muffins also fall into that catergory. Cutting out sugary food and drinks will lead to a slimmer waistline and healthier you.
If you are craving something sweet, reach for a piece of fruit instead.
Lightly flavoring your water is a great way to quench your thirst without all the added calories and fructose
. For ideas on flavoring your water, click here.

How often do you get a 'sweet tooth' craving? How do you combat it?
Have you cut out or cut back on sugary food and drinks?
If so, what have you replaced them with?
Do you keep fresh fruit on hand?

happy new year One member who signs up for our New Year Weight Loss Challenge and replies to 15 of the daily posts will be chosen to WIN a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up:
Sign up for the New Year Weight Loss Challenge!! Win a $25 gift card and bonus prizes, too!

Join us in the  Healthy Weight Loss group

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Replies (21-30):
kjbennett26
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Fresh fruit
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
N.Carter2001
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I have been cutting down on chocolate. So I'm doing good

Butterand
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Since I started my diet on January 2nd, I really have not had a sweet tooth at all. It's amazing how cutting way back on carbs and sugar has eliminated the craving. On the occasion that I want something sweet, I will have a bite of something - a mint meltaway, a chunk of dark chocolate, a Haribo grapefruit gummy, black licorice or a bite or two of someone's dessert in a restaurant. Othere than wine, I never drank drinks with sugar, and I am measuring the amount of wine I drink now to stay within my calorie goal. I love vegetables but unfortunately have never been a big fruit lover. I will eat an occasional tangerine or apple or add some fuyu persimmon or avocado to a salad.

haileys_mommy06
by Jenn on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:44 AM
I really don't eat much sweets, but I do get those craving every now and then. Most times I fight it, but sometimes I just cave in! I don't think I could ever 100% give up sweets even though I really don't eat it much.
MaskedMomma
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:46 AM

all the time and I eat sweets in moderation.i cut out sugary drinks, just drink water and sometimes tea.and I always have fresh ffruits or frozen fresh ones.

Ruthzaad
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I have sweet cravings all the time but I curve it by eating an apple with peanut butter. It helps lol I do have fruit in my house at all times. I haven't had a soda or a piece of chocolate all year and it's been rough but I am still holding out :-)
AjCeCeMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:51 AM
I have a huge sugar problem so I cut it all out cold turkey. If I am desperate for that sweet flavor I'll have some fruit and always a little protein to balance out the carbs.
hugss
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I am not a sweet tooth kind of person,
Perfer salty (chips) :)

Amber5151
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:53 AM
I have to just not buy it. If its in the house,I eat it. With sodas, my SO still likes to have them so I just leave them in the pantry on the floor vs in the fridge. So instead of candy I buy fruit and instead of chocolate I was doing nutella until someone in here told me it was just as bad, I have raisins and trail mix and nuts to Munch on.
27yomomof4
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:55 AM
I occasionally drink a soda, but other than that I do not drink anything other than water or lemon water. I don't eat sugared cereals. If I am really craving something sweet I might get it but I don't crave them often!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)