Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

New Year Weight Loss Challenge Day 25: Avoiding Belly Fat

Welcome to Day 25 of the New Year Weight Loss Challenge

Avoiding Belly Fat

One of the most common questions in weight loss, is how to get rid of the belly. The answers is through proper diet and exercise.
The one thing to understand is that not all body fat is the same. Meaning that where you carry fat matters. If you carry weight around your abdomen, the health risks are greater than carrying weight in the hips and thighs area. Belly fat is stored deep under the surface and surrounds the liver and abdominal organs. This stored fat is linked to a higer risk of diabetes and insulin resistance.
The best way to avoid dangerous fat around the belly is to cut out or cut back on food and drinks containing calories from fructose such as energy drinks, sodas, sports drinks and coffee drinks. Processed foods like doughnuts, cereal, candy and muffins also fall into that catergory. Cutting out sugary food and drinks will lead to a slimmer waistline and healthier you.
If you are craving something sweet, reach for a piece of fruit instead.
Lightly flavoring your water is a great way to quench your thirst without all the added calories and fructose
. For ideas on flavoring your water, click here.

How often do you get a 'sweet tooth' craving? How do you combat it?
Have you cut out or cut back on sugary food and drinks?
If so, what have you replaced them with?
Do you keep fresh fruit on hand?

happy new year One member who signs up for our New Year Weight Loss Challenge and replies to 15 of the daily posts will be chosen to WIN a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up:
Sign up for the New Year Weight Loss Challenge!! Win a $25 gift card and bonus prizes, too!

Join us in the  Healthy Weight Loss group

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Replies (31-40):
3lilladies81
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:56 AM
I'm proud of myself I have cut way down on soda :) if I crave something I get busy doing something!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tnvplus2
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:58 AM
I do get cravings for sweets, but I've done a lot better at avoiding them. I do occasionally have something sweet. Lately I will eat fruit when that happens.
Beauty91805
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:59 AM
I combat my sweet tooth with fruit and an occasional piece of chocolate.
sophiesmom07
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

It's tough, but I do my best to avoid sugar. There are so days it's really tough, like during certain parts of the month.  If I'm craving sugar, I will  have coffee. Or water with crystal light . That usually takes the cravings away.

Onmyown2727
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I have stoked up on fresh fruits & veggies to reach for when I have a craving...

bethmcox
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I drink a lot of water and if I'm really craving something I take one bite

copper
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:02 AM

How often do you get a 'sweet tooth' craving? How do you combat it?  I have a serious sweet tooth!
Have you cut out or cut back on sugary food and drinks? I try to not buy too many sugary things because if it's here I'll eat it!  I don't drink regular soda only diet. 
If so, what have you replaced them with?I only use splenda in my drinks, coffee etc.
Do you keep fresh fruit on hand? I try to keep fruit on hand but it's hard cause it's expensive!

evelynolivesmom
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I've been pretty good at swapping out my junk cravings for healthier alternatives, but yesterday dh took us out for a little celebration. I ordered what I wanted and ate in moderation, did not go crazy, but after 3 weeks of not eating fried/fatty, my tummy is killing me today.

Lesson Learned!

othermom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I have a horrible sweet tooth that I am trying to work on through it portion control and getting healthier options

gwebkeijmmm
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this
How often do you get a 'sweet tooth' craving? A lot.
How do you combat it? Eat something sweet.
Have you cut out or cut back on sugary food and drinks? Not really. But I don't keep a lot on hand to start with. Do you keep fresh fruit on hand? Yes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)