Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Year Weight Loss Challenge Day 25: Avoiding Belly Fat

Welcome to Day 25 of the New Year Weight Loss Challenge

Avoiding Belly Fat

One of the most common questions in weight loss, is how to get rid of the belly. The answers is through proper diet and exercise.
The one thing to understand is that not all body fat is the same. Meaning that where you carry fat matters. If you carry weight around your abdomen, the health risks are greater than carrying weight in the hips and thighs area. Belly fat is stored deep under the surface and surrounds the liver and abdominal organs. This stored fat is linked to a higer risk of diabetes and insulin resistance.
The best way to avoid dangerous fat around the belly is to cut out or cut back on food and drinks containing calories from fructose such as energy drinks, sodas, sports drinks and coffee drinks. Processed foods like doughnuts, cereal, candy and muffins also fall into that catergory. Cutting out sugary food and drinks will lead to a slimmer waistline and healthier you.
If you are craving something sweet, reach for a piece of fruit instead.
Lightly flavoring your water is a great way to quench your thirst without all the added calories and fructose
. For ideas on flavoring your water, click here.

How often do you get a 'sweet tooth' craving? How do you combat it?
Have you cut out or cut back on sugary food and drinks?
If so, what have you replaced them with?
Do you keep fresh fruit on hand?

happy new year One member who signs up for our New Year Weight Loss Challenge and replies to 15 of the daily posts will be chosen to WIN a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up:
Sign up for the New Year Weight Loss Challenge!! Win a $25 gift card and bonus prizes, too!

Join us in the  Healthy Weight Loss group

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Replies (41-50):
momofsixangels
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I have good self control  when it comes to cravings.When I crave something sweet I eat sugar free.

caito
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I eat yogurt or fruit when I want something sweet.

I've also found that eating enough calories of good savory food and staying hydrated pretty much eliminates my sweet tooth.

letstalk747
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:17 AM

i drink more water , i let the craving pass

MieshaJ
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Belly fat is my problem area ive been working out for a month now n I have not seen any progress in my adomen area I do all kinds of adomen exercises but no results. Im thinking that maybe it could be due to stress. But I try to eat alot of fruits. Sweets are my weakness.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
iuangina
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I eat lots of fruit! I also will have frozen yogurt on occasion to help with the sweet tooth.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
madmueller
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Lately when I have the taste for something sweet I reach for fruit or gum. In evening when I feel like I need icecream I reach for yogurt that I have left in the freezer for an hr. They may not all substitute for what I REALLY want, but it sure keeps me from making poor eating habits

Bmat
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I do have a sweet tooth. When I drink sodas, I dilute them with water so they are half as strong. I like water with citrus in it.

Bmat
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:20 AM

What a good idea about the yogurt. I love coffee yogurt, and I suspect if I follow what you do that I'd like it even better. Thank you.

Quoting madmueller:

Lately when I have the taste for something sweet I reach for fruit or gum. In evening when I feel like I need icecream I reach for yogurt that I have left in the freezer for an hr. They may not all substitute for what I REALLY want, but it sure keeps me from making poor eating habits

Monsita
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:24 AM

How often do you get a 'sweet tooth' craving?       once a week.

How do you combat it?    I have an aple with caramel.

Have you cut out or cut back on sugary food and drinks?  YES!  I am drinking more water.
If so, what have you replaced them with?  My coffee has cream but no sugar.
Do you keep fresh fruit on hand?  YES!  bananas, oranges and apples.

kiwimom74
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I never had a sweet tooth until I got pregnant the first time and then I developed a great relationship with twix bars .......

I try to keep fruit on hand or atleast frozen fruit to add to things.  We do have some candy in the house but I am thankful that I do not like the stuff DH enjoys and some other stuff is in a higher cabinet so because I do not see it I forget that it is there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)