Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Are You Making These Common Weight Loss Mistakes?

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:42 PM
  • 18 Replies

5 Biggest Weight Loss Mistakes You're Probably Making

Posted by Emily Abbate

Weight lossTrying to lose weight can be frustrating. You could have a killer week, feel like you're doing all the right things while making sacrifices to "stay on track," yet still not drop an ounce. While eating salads, Baby Bell cheese, Special K chips, and an abundance of nuts sure feels like the intake of someone who's on the weight loss track, it's unfortunately not always the case.

I get it, I've been there. In fact, I don't know a woman who hasn't. While you may be eating mostly the right stuff, there are certain saboteurs that could be destroying your weight loss efforts. Check out our list of the 5 most common mistakes that are ruining your weight loss:

1. You're not drinking enough water: Repeat after me: water is my best friend. As someone who struggles with getting enough water, I understand it's not always the most attractive option. When other zero-calorie drinks like Diet Coke are in the picture, I get distracted. The reality is, though, that water helps fill your stomach, making you less hungry, and aids in digestion.

2. You're not eating enough: I think everyone's immediate mindset when they want to drop a few pounds is cutting back on how much they're eating. The reality, though, is that if you aren't consuming enough calories during the day, your body will go into starvation mode trying to hold on to what it has. Your metabolism becomes sluggish, and that is NOT ideal for shedding pounds. Instead, chock your healthy diet full of extra fruits and vegetables that you can snack on all day long.

3. You're eating healthier items, but TOO much of them: Too much of a "good" thing could be detrimental to your progress. Greek yogurt, for example, is packed with protein that plain old yogurt is missing. But eating three of them a day, that's more calories than a Whopper! Helps you put things in perspective, eh?

4. You're avoiding the gym: Just because you're eating healthy doesn't mean you can skip out on getting the necessary cardio in. Doing small things, like parking your car farther from the grocery store or taking the stairs at work rather than the elevator, that will help. But adults should be getting 20 to 60 minutes of vigorous intensity exercise three days per week. Grab a buddy, and get to sweatin'!

5. You're not getting enough sleep: Next to water, your bed should be your other best friend. The more sleep you get, the more satisfied you'll be during the day after you eat. Crazy enough, a lack of sleep stimulates your appetite. You don't have to tell me twice to spend some quality time with my pillow! 

Are you guilty of committing any of these weight loss mistakes?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NoLyp
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Water and sleep are the hardest for me. I actually really love drinking water,but I get distracted by life and then it's bed time and I haven't drank anythink since lunch :(   

vboatner
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:18 PM

My biggest problems are sleeping enough and here lately, eating enough. I have not had much of an appetite :/

emilyrosenj
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Not anymore!  I do slack off on water on the weekend though!

reneawesley
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:22 PM

My problem right now is sleep. 

M4LG5
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM

When I don't drink enough water, I can feel it for sure.  I don't feel "clean".....I'm not sure how to explain that.  I sometimes don't eat enough but have gotten much better at it and seeing results now after I actually went up a little in calories per day. 

wahmx3
by Shelley on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Water is definitely my best friend but sleep seems to be the enemy. I know the importance of it but I just can't seem to get to bed early enough to get 8 hours and my brain switches into overtime somewhere around 4-5am....I am open to suggestions on overcoming that!

liveforever
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:15 AM

My biggest thing is I need to work on drinking enough water. Ive never been one to drink much unless Im eating.

Barabell
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I haven't been hitting the gym enough. :(

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Nope...

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

mem82
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I struggle with both water and sleep. 8(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN