Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Struggling to eat enough calories

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:18 PM
  • 25 Replies
Has anyone else had a problem with not getting enough calories in a day? I was stupidly following the 1200 Mfp automatically starts you with not thinking that it wad too low. Now I found out I should be eating closer to 1800 and I can't do it! I get nauseated if I eat more than a little at a time so even though I'm eating several times a day it isn't enough.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eema.gray
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:27 PM
2 moms liked this

You're probably trying to hit your goals with lots of fruit and veg, a little protein, and a little fat, right?

Try fewer carbs (aim for 100 to 150 grams daily on mfp) more protein, and a lot more fat.  :-)

.Bubbles.
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:31 PM
I actually was always high on protein too so I adjusted everything. I think you are right about my fat intake being too low.

Quoting eema.gray:

You're probably trying to hit your goals with lots of fruit and veg, a little protein, and a little fat, right?

Try fewer carbs (aim for 100 to 150 grams daily on mfp) more protein, and a lot more fat.  :-)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:05 AM
1 mom liked this

If you cook using olive oil or coconut oil that will increase your fats... nuts and nut butters and avocado will also boost your healthyfats and calories in a good way. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

itsm3
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:01 AM
2 moms liked this

when i first started working out and tracking calories, i had trouble hitting my target (at the time, it was about 1550-1600/day) but then when i started exercising more and my workouts were more intense, i always hit my target.

there are days even now, when i don't hit my target but if i'm not hungry, then i don't force it... i can usually tell when my body is burning through my calories and i just make sure to eat healthy snacks and meals.

your caloric target is only for reference purposes -- you must also listen to your body too.  if it's ok on less than 1800/day, then it's ok.  feed it when it needs to be fed... you'll know if you need more if you don't have enough energy.  when this happens, just eat smaller amounts more frequenly and around the same time every day.  this enables your body's circadian rhythm (aka your internal clock) to be set to eat at those times.  the human body operates best when on a predictable, regular schedule (for eating and sleeping) and your body will grow accustomed to eating at those times.  this maximizes caloric burn for energy and fat loss.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

These ladies have good advice...good luck mama!  Hugs!

mommadana
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I'm supposed to be at like 2000 calories according to my boot camp lady and I can eat like crazy if I tried, but I eat avocados and other "fatty" foods that are naturally high in fat even though it's good fat.  Good luck!

Dana    
Reina13
by Reina on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I was at first, but I seem to finally have it down now.

fstysxofthebtt
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:15 PM
I'm having that problem. I'm supposed to be eating 1340 or something and I haven't ate it in the past 2 days. I'm getting really discouraged. I feel like I'm not losing weight or anything. :(
mommyintraining
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:34 PM

How do you estimate your required caloric intake? Especially if your trying to lose weight?

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Quoting mommyintraining:

How do you estimate your required caloric intake? Especially if your trying to lose weight?

I can do your BMR for you. I need your age, height,weight and the # of days per week you workout. I can explain it more when I do the numbers for you. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)