Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Social media can be sabotaging your weight loss!

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:22 PM
  • 24 Replies
Quick edit: This is primarly talking about Facebook/Twitter/etc. Blogs typically (imo, this isn't part of the study), help with accountability. Also, I'm still trying to find the link to the research. I may email John Tesh for a link. Lastly, thank you admin for the feature :)

I'm trying to find the link but I heard this on the John Tesh radio show.

There is an actual term that I cannot remember.

The study basically says, facebook and places you make big announcements, set big goals (can be for anything) and announce them.on social media; you more than likely will not even come close to your goal.

Why?

When you make an announcement like, "Diet starts tomorrow! 50lbs down by (xxxx date)", on FB, you end up recieving a ton of likes, super positive encouragement, etc.

Why is this bad?

It tricks your brain into thinking that you have already achieved your goal because all of the virtual pats on the backs and high fives.

If your brain already thinks it has achieved the goal, subconsciously, you will fall into your same routine and behaviors and maybe give a half hearted attempt.

That really got me thinking!!! I've always did that big announcenent and thinking back....it's absolutely correct, for me!

Could this be your issue, too?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tiffany011309
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this
This is not an issue for me (i do have a fb but don't share much on it), but I definitely find this to be interesting and believe it..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Silvertears1275
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I can see that.  I don't normally share much about my weight loss on facebook, mostly because I don't like talking about my weight.

jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Hmm that's interesting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:15 PM
2 moms liked this

nope- I only post AFTER reacing a goal

reneawesley
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Interesting. I find it motivational plus putting it out there makes me more accountable. That being said I don't share anything about my weight on fb.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
big_red05
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I Don't think that has anything to do with it.. Really its because people spend more time ON social media then they do focusing on a healthy diet/exercise plan.. And setting huge unrealistic goals without a good plan to get you there sets you up for failure regardless of if you post it on fb. Many people say I'm going to lose 50lbs!! But have NO idea how to actually lose the weight
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
simplyus642
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:42 AM

For me this is true. I always told people that I was doing a weight loss blah blah asap! Go me! I would never start. This makes so much sense. This time I had the urge to tell no one and I didn't. I lost 12 lbs before telling anyone! My sister saw me and just went on and on at how much smaller I look so I told her I was trying. Then I told a few more folks but I feel great telling them because I can say 12 lbs down! I dont tell them my goal. I am asked but I say that this diet is forever and so is my exercising. I will lose what I lose. I get a nod and a congrats =D

*My diet is smaller portions and exercise at least 5 days a week. Snacks are not chips or things like that. I still fail and eat something I shouldn't but at the end of the day I look back at every thing I was strong about. It helps a lot. 

ambermario4ever
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Not my problem. I posted when is tarted my weight loos journey. And I haveosted through out it as well. I have lost 39 pounds and have 26 more till I am at my goal weight. Now I did not set a time limt of when I would hit my goal just said I want to loose 65 pounds. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Interesting...didn't think about this!

BeAmour
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:56 AM
That's me all the way!

I've decided...no more facebook gym announcements, goal announcements, etc. The onlt thing I will post is progress :)

Quoting simplyus642:

For me this is true. I always told people that I was doing a weight loss blah blah asap! Go me! I would never start. This makes so much sense. This time I had the urge to tell no one and I didn't. I lost 12 lbs before telling anyone! My sister saw me and just went on and on at how much smaller I look so I told her I was trying. Then I told a few more folks but I feel great telling them because I can say 12 lbs down! I dont tell them my goal. I am asked but I say that this diet is forever and so is my exercising. I will lose what I lose. I get a nod and a congrats =D

*My diet is smaller portions and exercise at least 5 days a week. Snacks are not chips or things like that. I still fail and eat something I shouldn't but at the end of the day I look back at every thing I was strong about. It helps a lot. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN