Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

How do I lose weight when dh won't stop filling our house with JUNK FOOD!

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:47 AM
  • 41 Replies

I do not have great willpower when it comes to sweets. Dh just did the grocery shopping, (he always does the grocery shopping, and no, he would not be willing to give that up), and he bought Oreos, Nutty Bars, Swiss Cake Rolls and plenty of other junk food, but the ones I mentioned being the most tempting to ME.

I tell him that he's sabotaging my weight loss efforts and he just says that I should just not eat it, like that's easy or something. In the past, when I've lost my baby weight from my other two babies, I was in complete control of the groceries, so my greatest challenge was filling the house with enough food while only buying healthy organic food, which was hard enough, but NOW, I have to look at these sweet junk foods all day and try not to eat them, and I just don't have the willpower! Plus, I want to try to fill up on fruits and veggies, but there just aren't enough of them in the house because dh doesn't like to buy them. I've taken to sometimes eating the baby food just because it's the only fruits and veggies in the house.

He'll buy the token bag of apples and bag of spinach so he can say, "Look! I did buy healthy food", but I used to fill up the WHOLE fridge with healthy organic produce. Always, once I lost the baby weight I didn't have trouble staying at 130, which isn't as low as I'd LIKE my weight to be, but it's size 8 or so and that's acceptable, but now I can't get out of a size 12. Any advice. Just to let you know, getting dh to stop buying junk isn't gonna happen. :(

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emilyrosenj
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Well if he's not going to stop buying junk, then  you'll have to get some willpower.  You CAN do it.  Think about it, once you conquer this situation that you face everyday, you'll then be able to conquer any other situation that comes up.  You CAN do it and you DO have the willpower to say no to junk.  Also, the next time he goes shopping give him a list of the things you need.  Take your control back.  If he doesn't get them then go get them yourself. 

loisl25
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I do that, (the list), then he goes over it and goes, ok, we don't need- this this and this, crossing things off that he doesn't like. Grr. He does often get things he said he wasn't going to get, just to make me happy, but it's still not like I would do if I were in control of the grocery shopping. I could go with him, but besides the fact that it's a pain to take the baby out to the store, and the fact that I'd have to wake her up at the crack of dawn because that's when dh goes shopping, (to avoid the crowd), I hate going shopping with him because we end up having an argument over almost EVERY single item, and we still end up with what he wants and not what I want.

Quoting emilyrosenj:

Well if he's not going to stop buying junk, then  you'll have to get some willpower.  You CAN do it.  Think about it, once you conquer this situation that you face everyday, you'll then be able to conquer any other situation that comes up.  You CAN do it and you DO have the willpower to say no to junk.  Also, the next time he goes shopping give him a list of the things you need.  Take your control back.  If he doesn't get them then go get them yourself. 

loisl25
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh, also, I am TRYING to work on my self control. I'm thinking I'm going to try Weight Watchers, that way I can learn to budget my calories so I can splurge on maybe one treat a day and maybe knowing I get that one treat will help me resist eating more than one.

Silvertears1275
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know what else to say but that you really need to sit down and talk to him about it.  Compromise... he can have his junk food, if he gets you the food you need to be healthy.  He should be willing to help you to be healthy.

emilyrosenj
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I agree you need to talk to him and remind him that it's your health you're talking about.  I know with me, my husband will test me to see how strong my resolve it.  When he sees me REJECTING the junk, he'll back off.  You need to have a talk with your hubby and let him know how important it is to you...

Quoting loisl25:

I do that, (the list), then he goes over it and goes, ok, we don't need- this this and this, crossing things off that he doesn't like. Grr. He does often get things he said he wasn't going to get, just to make me happy, but it's still not like I would do if I were in control of the grocery shopping. I could go with him, but besides the fact that it's a pain to take the baby out to the store, and the fact that I'd have to wake her up at the crack of dawn because that's when dh goes shopping, (to avoid the crowd), I hate going shopping with him because we end up having an argument over almost EVERY single item, and we still end up with what he wants and not what I want.

Quoting emilyrosenj:

Margaret

loisl25
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Yeah. I have and will continue to do so, I just wish he would listen better.

Quoting Silvertears1275:

I don't know what else to say but that you really need to sit down and talk to him about it.  Compromise... he can have his junk food, if he gets you the food you need to be healthy.  He should be willing to help you to be healthy.

robsgurl_23
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:29 AM

why not do the food shopping your self so that way less junk food gets in the house or make your husband keep the junk food in another place where he can get at it and it is out of your site. I am like you if I see the junk food it is a big temptation to me and I want to eat it. It is best for me to not have it in the house.

KJC119
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

My sister in law is going through a similiar issue.  She is still living at home with my in laws and she is struggling to lose weight.  They keep buying unhealthy food so she cleared out some cabinets in the kitchen adn declared them as her own.  She now does her own healthy and organic shopping and puts foods in her designated areas so she's not tempted.  Just a thought!

justahousewife
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:32 AM
2 moms liked this
Why not grocery shop on your own. He can grocery shop for what he wants and you grocery shop for what you want. He can't stop you from going to the grocery store. Split the grocery budget if that's the issue.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
babynurse244
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't let my husband go grocery shopping for this very reason. He'd buy tons of junk "to take to work" or "because it's on sale" and of course it never made it to work. I now have an overweight kindergardener and I made him go with me to her ped appt after I gave the ped a head's up. I now do all of the grocery shopping and meal planning. Tell him you're taking it over. And if he insists on shopping, the stuff he buys needs to go in the garage or the freezer. I never said there would be no treats, so once a week we do have desert but I watch the portion sizes. You have to do this as a team, and it isn't working for you now and he needs to respect that. It seems like you've told him what you need and he isn't hearing what you're saying or he is deliberately sabatoging you for some reason.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)