Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

For those of you that weigh your food, I have a ?

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:02 PM
  • 11 Replies
Do you weigh meat before or after you cook it?

I weighed chicken both raw and cooked, just to see if there was a difference, and there was about a 3oz difference.

I know it's not that big of a difference, but I was just wondering.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kbornman21
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:49 PM
I weigh before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sandykmac
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I weigh after cooking and before eating. LOL

tiffs2009
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:14 AM
It's weighed after cooking if your tracking your calories. So a 3oz portion is after cooking not before.
Janaz5
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:35 AM
Yes, it is for tracking calories.

I'm entering a recipe on mfp, so I would enter 10oz of chicken (cooked) as an ingredient vs 13oz, which was before I cooked it, correct?

Quoting tiffs2009:

It's weighed after cooking if your tracking your calories. So a 3oz portion is after cooking not before.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:48 AM
Good question!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:05 AM
2 moms liked this

Before. You need to weigh it before it is cooked as that is the more accurate measure since moisture is lost in the cooking process. When I was a Chef, we always measured meat before cooking. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:08 AM
Claire is right :)
mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:08 AM

Quoting tiffs2009:

It should always be weighed before cooking as it is more accurate since moisture is lost in the cooking process. If you want a recipe to be accurate for calorie counting it must be done before cooking, otherwise you are not going to have an accurate recipe. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

tiffs2009
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:56 AM
That's not what my dietician told me. She said that the calories are based off what's consumed not what's cooked. Just like 1cup rice is very different cooked v. Not cooked.
Would you count it raw or cooked? -cooked of course

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting tiffs2009:

It should always be weighed before cooking as it is more accurate since moisture is lost in the cooking process. If you want a recipe to be accurate for calorie counting it must be done before cooking, otherwise you are not going to have an accurate recipe. 

tiffs2009
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this
So for that it depends, you could so it either way on MFP. When you enter chicken you can choose if its raw or cooked. The calories of course change if it cooked or raw for any ingridient. Just make sure you put them in all raw or all cooked

Quoting Janaz5:

Yes, it is for tracking calories.

I'm entering a recipe on mfp, so I would enter 10oz of chicken (cooked) as an ingredient vs 13oz, which was before I cooked it, correct?

Quoting tiffs2009:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)