Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

YMCA Membership!

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:58 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

FINALLY!!!! I applied for a Y membership for myself and my family but needed financial aid so it wasn't as simple as just filling out a form and paying for membership.

My husband was just diagnosed with a serious health condition this week. So, since then, I've modified the meals the adults in our home consume (right now I'm working on dinner) and TODAY I dragged my husband down to the Y and we reapplied for membership.

We have our temporary cards and can start working out. This will be a family endeavor since I got memberships for the kids too. NO EXCUSES (except parking is a challenge, it's a popular hangout) We both have to lose at least 50 pounds. I'm so happy I finally MADE time to do this!!

Chris_n_Mandy_n_Abby's Mom

Pregnancy weight 11/13/11-7/11/12: start 276, top 309, end 298 = 33# TOTAL GAIN
Post-partum 07/11/12-12/29/12: start 298, end 269 = 29# TOTAL LOSS
Weight Watchers 01/05/13-12/31/15: start 269.4, goal 120-140# = 129-149# GOAL LOSS

LilySlim Diet days tickers

LilySlim Weight charts

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Janaz5
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:32 AM
That's awesome. My family and I have been going to the Y for 4 months now and we all love it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lesgerm
by Leslie on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:16 AM
That's great! We have a family membership at the Y too! We love it :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:47 AM
That's awesome!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dmwood
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:10 AM

WTG!

If parking is an issue try going a little earlier. I have found that my YMCA is less crowded before school lets out. If possible, park outside the parking lot and walk in. More calories burned and you won't be competing for the closest spot.

Good luck!!

kary1124
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:46 AM

thats awesome! ive been wanting to get a y membership but havent had the money to

chrisnmandysmom
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:57 AM

It's a great idea, only because I work and don't get off until 3:30 there's no hope of going before school gets out.

The main parking lot literally has 12 spots so I never dream of getting that lucky. There's a side lot but I have a big SUV so unless I take one of the spots on the very end by the street (furthest from the building) I can't maneuver in there. 

Most of the parking is either on the street or behind the building and, of course, it sits on a hill. So to get to the main entrance (there is no "back" entrance) you have to climb the hill or walk the long way all around to get to the front. 

The reason parking is such a challenge, aside from the above is, there are 5 apartments located surrounding the facility as well as businesses with only on-street parking for residents surrounding the building plus an assisted living facility one block over. It's also on a funny Y shaped street that's a major roadway in/out of town so there's no parking allowed there. You're lucky to get parking within a 2-3 block radius, and there's another main street that's bordering residential with very little on-street parking. The two main roadways are nearly always busy and very dangerous to cross. People are in too big of a hurry to slow down or watch out for pedestrians. The safest thing is to park as close to the building as possible.

Pretty improbable but not impossible. The best option is to have someone drive you, drop you off and pick you up. Especially since my hsuband and I plan to work out together in the evening :-) They have childcare available free to members and tons of programs for adults/kids so we'll make it work somehow. 

Quoting dmwood:

WTG!

If parking is an issue try going a little earlier. I have found that my YMCA is less crowded before school lets out. If possible, park outside the parking lot and walk in. More calories burned and you won't be competing for the closest spot.

Good luck!!

AleaKat
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this
7o a month plus the 4o min drive out there just isn't worth it for us
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
haileys_mommy06
by Jenn on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Yay! WTG!!

EiuGirl316
by Leah on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:42 AM

We also have a family membership at the Y and love it. I haven't been in a while though. I need to modify this starting Monday (since we're going out of town this weekend). You won't regret signing up though!

Bob192
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I love the Y too!  We've been going for over 2 years.  I suggest you get into some classes, that will help you stick with it.  It can be hard going to that first class, but it is worth it.  Just keep trying classes until you find one you like and hang with it.  It will take you a couple months to feel like you can do what they are asking!  Good luck!!  shouting

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN