Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

meal plan

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:49 PM
  • 16 Replies
2 moms liked this
So I have desided to make a meal plan for feb. Ugh hoping this will bring down the cost of last month groceries (500$) for 2 adults and a 3 year old , and 2 pets. It was VERY pricey. Normally spend 250 idh .But it was my first month on clean eating and s/o still eating his junk lol.
So I'm hoping this will bring the guess work and the cost down.

I also bought a food box membership this month
20$ for a huge box of veggies and fruit. I'm hoping that will go well too.

Do you do a meal plan?
Whatyour grocery budget and how many ppl are there?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eema.gray
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I meal plan.  :-)

My budget is normally about $300/month for 2 adults and 3 under age 5.

Did you get your food box through Bountiful Baskets?

I had a CSA last summer with a preserve share option so I have a freezer and pantry full of produce; this time of year the only produce I buy are sweet/potatoes, onions, and garlic so most of my budget is meats and fats.  Works out pretty well until I have to spend $50 on a 40 lb bag of food for my cat, LOL.

angelbabies14
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I do meal plan. I have a family of six to feed. We deal with 30 severe food allergens. I am not a short order cook so everything we make is safe and can be eaten by all in the house. We eat extremely clean. Unfortunately with a family my size and the way we have to eat my grocery bill is between $600-$800 a month. The month of January was $782

angelbabies14
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:11 PM

$300!?!? Teach me! Lol we have 3 adults. One of the adults eats so much. Like non stop. She is overweight and does not care to change portion size. Before she moved in with us I was not spending anywhere near this much probably more like $400 maybe $500 at the most.

Quoting eema.gray:

I had a CSA last summer with a preserve share option so I have a freezer and pantry full of produce; this time of year the only produce I buy are sweet/potatoes, onions, and garlic so most of my budget is meats and fats.  Works out pretty well until I have to spend $50 on a 40 lb bag of food for my cat, LOL.

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:32 PM
I just eat the same thing over and over. I just signed up for a csa share though, like a food box. Our groceries are cheaper in the summer. Im a terrible budgeter.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I don't have to shop around food allergies, LOL.

We eat virtually no grain, legume, or dairy, that helps a lot.  :-)

When I can afford to, I shop at a local butcher for grass fed meats; the rest of the time, I shop Costco and Sav A Lot.

Quoting angelbabies14:

$300!?!? Teach me! Lol we have 3 adults. One of the adults eats so much. Like non stop. She is overweight and does not care to change portion size. Before she moved in with us I was not spending anywhere near this much probably more like $400 maybe $500 at the most.

Quoting eema.gray:

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
PEEK05
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Yes, we do a monthly meal plan.  We spend $400ish a month on a family of soon to be 5.

angelbabies14
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:00 PM

The only grain we can eat is rice. We are free from dairy, egg, tree nut, peanut, soy, gluten (all grains except rice he reacts too) potato, tomato, yeast, peach, pear, grapes, all seeds, pork, green bean, cocoa, and writing this list is depressing so I'll stop!  We eat really well with all that said. We don't notice the things we can't have as much anymore. My son and I are strict on this diet. A few others in the house will get treats every now and then with things we can't have. That's ok with me. I make mainly meat and veggies. I will add rice a few days a week, sometimes a gluten free pasta but not always because they are expensive. The prices where I live are probably the issue! Wish I had my own farm!

Quoting eema.gray:

I don't have to shop around food allergies, LOL.

We eat virtually no grain, legume, or dairy, that helps a lot.  :-)

When I can afford to, I shop at a local butcher for grass fed meats; the rest of the time, I shop Costco and Sav A Lot.

Quoting angelbabies14:

Quoting eema.gray:

mem82
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:15 PM
We are a family of six and 2 dogs. We spend about $500 for groceries and paper goods.
mem82
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Oh, we meal plan every 2 weeks.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I make a meal plan but I do it weekly only because I'm too lazy to make up a monthly one right now.  My budget was $450/ month for food and supplies (pet food, paper products, personal care products, cleaning supplies) for 5 adult appetites, 2 large dogs, 1 medium sized dog, 3 house cats and birds, but this month I came in under $320 for the whole month.  I'm going to try to keep things under $350/ month from now on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)